MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 04-03-07, 21:10
former Resident Historian

Default Cheapest

86 pence/ litre at the moment is the cheapest in Southampton. Our local station is one gold bar/litre!
Old 06-03-07, 02:46
Derek Heuring

Default Latest on 10.50 X 16 tyres

First of all, let me say this re: petrol prices in Ol' Blighty....OUCH!! You'd think all that North Sea oil would help keep prices down!
Now to business. Talked to Wallace Wade today so here's the latest poop:

Delivery date:
S.T.A. (Specialty Tires of America) made a small batch of the 10.50 X 16 Chevrons but apparently didn't like the finished product so they changed the mold and have made another small batch for testing which will slightly delay the roll out of these tires. They seem to be rather secretive about their tire production as they won't even send Wallace a picture of the tire. The tires are being tested for tread life, temperature build-up , and traction for which there are mandatory federal standards. Wallace says that testing could take up to 30 days and will contact me when the testing phase is completed and production begins.

Price:
He has already taken several orders for these tires and as of TODAY (my emphasis) the price remains $172.80 FOB factory which is located in Pennsylvania. Wallace did tell me that he is gambling by continuing to offer these tires at that price as the final wholesale price to him has not yet been set and could rise by the time production begins. If the price of oil continues to rise in the U.S., we can expect the price of the tires to rise accordingly. Now might be the time to place your orders.

Shipping:
Wallace told me this: He has both shipped tires to Canada and has had Canadian customers pick their tires up at the factory. He has been asked to and will write whatever you want on the invoice; Museum property, off-road use only, parade vehicle etc. etc. if it will save you having to pay duty on the tires. If you live close to the border, you might want to consider making a bulk purchase and sending someone with a truck or trailer to pick them up. No customs brokerage services are necessary.

Rating:
The tires are 8 ply, load range D. Wallace was unsure of their load carrying capacity but told me that they will be at least 3030 lbs. per tire which is the same as the 9.00 X 16 NDTs. There are no problems with D.O.T. acceptance as both countries test their tires similarly.

So there it is. The tires will be available soon although at what price is unsure. Now is probably the time to buy, unless you have insider info that world oil prices are going to drop. If I can help anybody in anyway with their purchase, please contact me at my email address
Old 07-03-07, 03:19

Default Good job Derek.....

From the last unofficial count I beleive that 22 tires maybe coming to the Ottawa area.

Need to gather advice from our end for custom clearance, rules, regs, possible cost, etc........ will be contacting our friendly custom officer. Will verify is special invoicing or wording is necessary.

Next is to get people to put out the money...... I suggest that Wade prefers approved credit cards dealing, so individually we can make our own payments and work out the shipping details later.

Derek do you know if Wade is looking at full payment at this time to guarantee price or a substantial deposit until we know the tires are ready to ship out....???? please let us know.

With the current price of fuel, I am thinking that shipping bulk from the factory in Indiana to the NY border to a UPS pick up centre maybe cheaper. I need to verify if my UPS store on the border is able to handle skids with 20 plus tires or the location for the nearest warehouse pickup centre. I beleive that it would save us time, fuel and brokerage fees if we did it that way. I am prepared to pickup with my truck and float if the numbers justifys it and take care of custom to be prorated per tire after, cash on delivery.

At the present time I need a full set of five and Rob is looking for one set..... I need confirmation from Grant for five and from Mike of P&S for the last seven.

Are there any other takers in Eastern Canada...???

I am prepared to pick them up for you and hold them for later pick up and/or delivery.....

I am concerned that the first batch may disappear very quickly and that a future run may be long in coming..... and costlier.

Speak up guys....

Bob C,
Canada
Old 07-03-07, 04:40
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Good job Derek.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Carriere
Next is to get people to put out the money...... I suggest that Wade prefers approved credit cards dealing, so individually we can make our own payments and work out the shipping details later.
I'll call Wallace tomorrow to see if he needs payment in full at this point or if a deposit will suffice. Bob, you might want to double check with Mike "Gunner" Calnan about the quantity he wants, he sent a second reply to this thread suggesting he might take two tires for his Polsten, not the original seven in his first post. Just want to make sure he gets the correct number. Derek.
Old 08-03-07, 02:20

Default Thanks Derek

.... will check with Mike.....

Bob
Canada
Old 15-03-07, 14:06
T' Guns thank God t' guns

Default 10.50X16 for the S&P Museum

Hi Guys:

Sorry, I'm not on this means as often as I would like. Time for internet is precious here as we are on a busy cycle.

I am still interested in seven tyres @ USD$172.80 = USD$1209.60

I would like to put them on my VISA. PM to Derek has my number in Blackhorse3. First four digits are: 4514.

I would go with the Ogdensburg option and will bring them all in under the museum import number.

The invoice should specify for museum use on antique vehicles. Shipping costs should be on a seperate invoice or Customs will have to charge GST and PST on the shipping charges as well.

All the best from sunny, hot and humid Ghana!

Cheers!

Meltin' Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 15-03-07, 15:29

Default Ogdensburg....

Sounds good Gunner

The only rub so far is that my UPS store in Ogdensburg is not equip to accept skids of tires....... trying to make arrangements to have them shipped to the UPS depot nearest that serves the Ogdensburg store..... which would be Potsdam....just 20 minutes away from the border.

Stay tuned.

Bob
Canada
Old 16-03-07, 04:21
Derek Heuring

Default Re: Good job Derek.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Carriere

Derek do you know if Wade is looking at full payment at this time to guarantee price or a substantial deposit until we know the tires are ready to ship out....???? please let us know.
Had another talk with Wallace about the tires. There is still no word from S.T.A. on the delivery date, the tires are still undergoing government testing. Wallace has had lots of interest expressed from around the world about these tires and would love to start selling them as soon as possible. He calls the factory, "every 2nd day!", so he tells me. I asked him about deposits and he told me that he has our group down for 22 tires, no deposit is necessary. I asked him if putting a deposit down now would guarantee a price no higher than the 172.80 shown in his ad. His answer was "no". I questioned him at length about his pricing policy and if he offered any price guarantee. He told me that due to the additional time the factory is taking, he doesn't know how much the tires will be. He himself was never quoted a wholesale price and that he stuck his neck out and guessed that 172.80 would be a fair retail price. When the tires are finally delivered, they may be lower, they may be higher.
For Gunner in particular, and everyone in general, Wallace doesn't want or need to take credit card charges just yet. I assume he doesn't want the hassle of any adjustments down the road, who knows. Anyway, the important thing is that we are down for the 22 tires and I have his word that I will be one of the first people he calls when the tires, and price! are available.
Stay tuned! Derek.
Old 16-03-07, 09:52

Derek

Do you know if he is willing to arrange carriage for tyres going to the UK as he never responded to my e-mail.

Neil
Old 16-03-07, 10:01

Default VTS

Neil, I wonder if VTS in Beaulieu might contact direct and agree to buy a load which could then be containered to Southampton?
Old 16-03-07, 14:21
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Ashley
Derek

Do you know if he is willing to arrange carriage for tyres going to the UK as he never responded to my e-mail.

Neil
Neil, I'll call him and ask. I'm off to College Station this a.m. for a battle so I might not get back with an answer for a few days. Derek.
Old 16-03-07, 19:15

Default UPS Store Ogdensburg

Boobee: I was in there in January and he had 15 to 20 tyres stacked up by the door... most with area code 613 phone numbers on 'em.

Cheers! Meltin' Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 16-03-07, 22:15

Default Yes but.....

Mikey....

I have seen a smaller stack of tires..... but they are individually wrapped or in pairs of two.......... and are usually the skinny racing car tires...... not big truck tires.

Are we prepared to ask the factory to ship 22 tires or tyres individually....... as seperate items....... if they arrive bulk on skids the poor charmin' old lady can't possibly manhandle them....????

I am working on the assumptions that "bulk" shipment by surface freight would be to our advantage.

I asked the UPS lady at the store if they had a central warehouse in Ogdensburg..... she replied they were served from Potsdam.... which is still not a big issue to drive another 20 miles.

Last time I had tires shipped to my house by transport.... the truck stopped on the road 100 feet from the house..... slashed the cellowrapper and threw them off the skid/truck.... probably would have left them in the ditch except my wife walked out to see him and being a gentlemen he helped her roll them to the house..... even left me the skid.

Charm does come in handy.....

Will continue to search for a central warehouse solution...

Derek has done an excellent job or being our local reps.

NOTE.... anyone else interested in joining the bulk purchase SPEAK UP.... will gladly fery them to CC 6 or the Barrie flea market in June......

Bob C.

BooBee
Canada
Old 20-03-07, 16:08

Default Pallets of tyres

Bobatunde!

Yer right... we're talkin' four or five pallets here so the warehouse option is best.

I'll be a co-driver if'n you need one.

Still meltin' in Accra!

Cheers Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 20-03-07, 17:08

Default Pallets of tyres

Bobatunde!

Yer right... we're talkin' four or five pallets here so the warehouse option is best.

I'll be a co-driver if'n you need one.

Still meltin' in Accra!

Cheers Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 20-03-07, 17:40

Default Wanna ride shotgun...?

Well things are melting here to...... well they are suppose to be melting tomorrow..... today the windchill is -23C.....

I see the heat is getting to you and you are posting things twice.

BooBee
Canada
Old 21-03-07, 00:54
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Neil Ashley
Derek

Neil
Hi Neil. Yes, Wallace is more than willing to ship tyres to Ol' Blighty, he told me he has done this several times in the past. At no additional expense he will package the tyres, make up the Airbill, and deliver the tyres to DFW airport. He ships to any one of three airports for you: Gatwick, Heathrow, or a third airport that only handles air cargo...he told me the name but it presently eludes me. You are responsible for shipping costs, taxes, duties, VAT or whatever your government decides to nick you for. He said that shipping to the U.K. was "quite reasonable" but neglected to say how much that would be. Hope this info helps, Derek.
Old 21-03-07, 09:45

Derek

Thank you for the information.

I have hopefully found someone who is about to order a container load of tyres from Wallace.

I the deal proceeds he is quite happy to put some tyres in the container for me.
Old 18-04-07, 12:11
Derek Heuring

Default Latest poop (literally!)

This is going to be short and sweet as the laxative I've taken for my Colonoscopy later today is starting to take effect. Talked to Wallace yesterday and still no word from the factory as to when testing will be completed.
Old 18-04-07, 15:38
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Latest poop (literally!)

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
This is going to be short and sweet as the laxative I've taken for my Colonoscopy later today is starting to take effect. Talked to Wallace yesterday and still no word from the factory as to when testing will be completed.
Sapper..
I think you are full of sh*it..!!!
Good luck..!!
Old 18-04-07, 15:45

Default !

He ain't full of sh1t now!
Old 19-04-07, 01:30

Default Could we......

.....administer the same laxative to Wallace Wade....???

Hope everything comes out alright....... and don't forget to smile when they take the pictures.......

...... a thing to consider when you are at your worst watching the light shine from your inside..... think of the poor smooh who will have the same equipment shoved down his throat to check the stomach content the next day........

Having had one end done I opted for pills to settle my upset stomach........

Bob
Canada
Old 19-04-07, 02:35
Derek Heuring

Default Light at the end of the tunnel.

Gentlemen, I thank you all from my deepest bowels for your kind remarks The news was good: no polyps and its not a toomah! I think I cracked the medical team up when when I remarked that at least I know what to expect if I'm ever abducted by Aliens. Only problem now is that instead of a pppffffttttt! sound when I fart it now goes wwhhhoooo!
Old 19-04-07, 03:12
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Light at the end of the tunnel.

Quote:
Gentlemen, I thank you all from my deepest bowels for your kind remarks The news was good: no polyps and its not a toomah! I think I cracked the medical team up when when I remarked that at least I know what to expect if I'm ever abducted by Aliens. Only problem now is that instead of a pppffffttttt! sound when I fart it now goes wwhhhoooo!
Sapper

If you were any kind of mathematition,you could have worked it out with a pencil.....
I'm going for my the rest of my annual medical tomorrow but don't think we'll be doing that proceedure..
There were still bumps on my EKG that looked pretty even to me but dosen't quite read like an oscilliscope...
Lucky I only get my annual medical every two years///lol

Old 19-04-07, 03:53

Default Alex....Correction

All good mathematicians work that sort of thing out with logs.
Old 19-04-07, 19:50

Default Bad puns!

Calling Dr Al Gorithm! Mike
www.calnan.com/swords
Old 19-04-07, 20:06

We have noted that Gunner got here faster than his tires did, in spite of his exraordinary efforts to put a plan in place from the regions we used to be allowed to call "darkest Africa".
Old 19-04-07, 22:44
Derek Heuring

Quote:
Originally posted by Grant Bowker
We have noted that Gunner got here faster than his tires did, in spite of his exraordinary efforts to put a plan in place from the regions we used to be allowed to call "darkest Africa".
T'is a sad day indeed when a soldier can do a tour overseas faster than a bureacrat can stamp DOT approved on a set of tires!
Old 19-04-07, 23:07
Mr. HUP

Default Perhaps...

Quote:
T'is a sad day indeed when a soldier can do a tour overseas faster than a bureacrat can stamp DOT approved on a set of tires!
it's because they couldn't remember how to spell it...and they think a dictionary is just a badly written novel...

Or, they just "take their time to get it right" wanting to make sure we dangerous lot stay safe??
Old 07-08-07, 11:22

Guys,
It's been a few months now since we heard anything about the 10.50x16 tyres. Is there any more news on thier availibility ?
Keith