MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 16-01-14, 03:23
GM Fox I

Default Web belt for wireless set

I'm looking for the web waist belt used on British WW2 radio sets like the No.18, 22 and 62. They are tan '37 pattern web with two stamped metal brackets riveted on. Some are like this (pic one) with the narrow web straps and buckles at the front and some are wide all the way to the front and have the same brass buckle as used on WW1 web belts (pic 2, from the web).

I've seen these loose in the past and hope there's still one or two out there. Any help or leads would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00830.jpg   ws181bt1.jpg  
Old 16-01-14, 06:44
Geoff Truscott

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...e=STRK:MESE:IT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWII-briti...item19e3d7bf5d

Last edited by Johnny Canuck; 16-01-14 at 14:25.
Old 27-01-14, 22:06
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Parker View Post
I'm looking for the web waist belt used on British WW2 radio sets like the No.18, 22 and 62. They are tan '37 pattern web with two stamped metal brackets riveted on. Some are like this (pic one) with the narrow web straps and buckles at the front and some are wide all the way to the front and have the same brass buckle as used on WW1 web belts (pic 2, from the web).

I've seen these loose in the past and hope there's still one or two out there. Any help or leads would be great.
They turn up fairly regularly on eBay, though at an inflated price.

The "full width" (Pattern 08) belt is the original issue, and used with the modified cross-straps (brass hook on each end and a short strap and buckle stitched diagonally to one end of the wide portion of the strap - these are 'handed' - to fasten the strap to the support ring on the case.

The "narrow fronted" strap is the Mk.2 version, which goes with a pair of "L" pack straps. In this arrangement, the wide end of the pack strap is looped around the case support ring and secured with a "D" buckle, and a brass hook is fitted to the 1" end of the strap using a loose buckle and this attaches to the holes in the belt fixings on the case.

Chris.
Old 28-01-14, 04:48
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Suslowicz View Post
They turn up fairly regularly on eBay, though at an inflated price.

The "full width" (Pattern 08) belt is the original issue, and used with the modified cross-straps (brass hook on each end and a short strap and buckle stitched diagonally to one end of the wide portion of the strap - these are 'handed' - to fasten the strap to the support ring on the case.

The "narrow fronted" strap is the Mk.2 version, which goes with a pair of "L" pack straps. In this arrangement, the wide end of the pack strap is looped around the case support ring and secured with a "D" buckle, and a brass hook is fitted to the 1" end of the strap using a loose buckle and this attaches to the holes in the belt fixings on the case.

Chris.
Thanks Chris. I did see those on e-bay but, like you say, at a price more than I paid for the radio. If you hear of one (either pattern), I'd still love to get one.
Old 28-01-14, 14:36
Geoff Truscott

Quote:
Thanks Chris. I did see those on e-bay but, like you say, at a price more than I paid for the radio. If you hear of one (either pattern), I'd still love to get one.
Wish I could pay what I 'think' an item is worth, collection would be much larger. Hey if you were in the game 25 years ago you could have bought crates of straps for less than you paid for your radio, now that they only sometimes show up on eBay, they are 'overpriced'. No, it is called supply and demand, fewer parts can demand higher prices as more hands try to get less items.
If it cost me $100 to by it from OZ and $50 to ship it and $25 to FedEx and $35 to Canada Customs one should sell it at a loss?

Keep checking the meets but even those sellers look at eBay for prices.
And shot Worthpoint.
Old 28-01-14, 16:25

Actually IMA had some of those. They didn't know what they were.
Hope it helps. Paul
Old 28-01-14, 16:54
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

here's a possibility:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-WW...item565b67991f

best price I've seen.
Old 28-01-14, 23:06
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck View Post
Wish I could pay what I 'think' an item is worth, collection would be much larger. Hey if you were in the game 25 years ago you could have bought crates of straps for less than you paid for your radio, now that they only sometimes show up on eBay, they are 'overpriced'. No, it is called supply and demand, fewer parts can demand higher prices as more hands try to get less items.
If it cost me $100 to by it from OZ and $50 to ship it and $25 to FedEx and $35 to Canada Customs one should sell it at a loss?

Keep checking the meets but even those sellers look at eBay for prices.
And shot Worthpoint.
I see the connection now, you were the seller on ebay?

I was in the game 25 years ago and managed to hang on to a lot of stuff bought at those 'back then' prices. No, I wouldn't want you to sell at a loss and supply and demand is valid, but a 'buy it now' price on e-bay is usually code for "how bad do you want it?" At times it really boils down to whether you want it bad enough at the going price, or if your budget goes after something that you 'need' even more. I'd love to get your belt to finish up a 22 set and if you have a best price PM me. Maybe we can make a deal.
Old 28-01-14, 23:10
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce MacMillan View Post
here's a possibility:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-WW...item565b67991f

best price I've seen.
Thanks Bruce. It may do until the Brit. one comes along. Odd that the belt shown is unique to 48 sets (being American made web) and there are substantially fewer of those than than sets using the British belt.
Old 29-01-14, 00:56
Geoff Truscott

Quote:
I see the connection now, you were the seller on ebay?
I was in the game 25 years ago and managed to hang on to a lot of stuff bought at those 'back then' prices. No, I wouldn't want you to sell at a loss and supply and demand is valid, but a 'buy it now' price on e-bay is usually code for "how bad do you want it?" At times it really boils down to whether you want it bad enough at the going price, or if your budget goes after something that you 'need' even more. I'd love to get your belt to finish up a 22 set and if you have a best price PM me. Maybe we can make a deal.
Hello Bruce
Yeah that Johnny Canuck thing.......... every time, and I'm not RCMP.
The Belt, we only bought beer and women back then, now I know better, I'd still get the beer, but buy WS.
I found a mint one on eBay Meco 1943 @ £50.00 then it was bid up to £102.00. $222. shipped, my logic, mint, original wrapping, original box. Expensive yes, this nearly completes the WS18 still missing an aerial adapter, but that is about it.
So the belt that that Johnny Canuck guy had for sale at $139 ?? and an offer made. It comes from Australia where some guy and his dingo has a wireless house full of them, away somewhere.
Description
British WW2 P1908/37 3" Web Radio Equipment Belt - Unissued
Item# 251305145080 $125.00 AUD
Shipping and handling $31.90 AUD
Insurance - not offered ----
Total $156.90 AUD
From amount $153.58 CAD

So yes, it is a 'how bad do you' want it price, I guess, I have it at $155-160??.
That is what I have in it so, I'm comfortable with that price. Perhaps I originally overpaid a bit, but the belts mint, some corrosion on the rivets, no wear, so it is rarer than 'I found this cleaning out the shed' ones.
Or it takes time and contacts, most of my best stuff I have was bought from owners and operators that you seem to bump into somehow.
Actually the fastest increasing cost is trackable and insurable international shipping. On the above item it was 25% added to the total cost.
I would love to pay $50 for a mint P08 Belt, but those days are gone I think, unless a bud's got one.
With the Internet some good some bad, but now everyone knows, even granny knows. Yuppies not so much.

Geoff