MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 12-12-09, 17:21
M38A1 CDN3

Question Jeep tyres 7.00 x 16 NDCC

Most post-war jeeps that have any tyre pressure stencilled on them indicate TP 25 (including mine).

Why is it then that in the Operator's Manual it states that standard inflation for highway driving is 28 psi?
Old 12-12-09, 20:06
carrier mech

There was a later CFTO that came out in the 80s titled :tire inflation pressures; SMP vehicles. It revised the maximum tire pressures to be used on all the various SMPs in the CF. The pressures listed were not the same as the operators manuals. That would (should) have been the pressure stenciled over the wheel wells. The pressures would be based on the correct amount of tire deflection with maximum load. Perhaps there had been a change in the manufacture of the tires themselves over the years?

When I get back home in January, I can have a look and see what the correct tire pressure is for the Jeeps based on that CFTO.

I know that the CFTO gave 5/4 ton pressures in the range of 30psi on the front and 80 psi on the back. To use different ratio of pressures ended up causing the transfer case to remain stuck in hi (or lo) lock. This was especially bad on the highways where the resulting driveline wrap-up would usually boil the oil out of the front diff.