MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 28-02-05, 15:20
M38A1 CDN3

Default Pyrene Fire Extinguisher

I've recently gotten one of the above to be mounted atop the doghouse in my 15 cwt CMP.

Since this item is in rather poor shape; cosmetically, can any one assist in suggesting a proven method of restoring this to something like its original brass finish.

I've contacted the manufacturer but, since the company has been bought out, all old files were destroyed. I've tested a small part using Brasso...no luck. I've also tried CLR and Fantastik...no luck.

It's been suggested that I take it to a bumper plating company who apparently can dip the unit into a cleansing bath then dip, or by some other method, coat it with a bright brass finish.

Any assistance much appreciated.

:
Old 28-02-05, 18:59

Jon

Use Coke, get a plastic box lunch box, put the extingher in pour on the coke fit the lid and put away for a couple of months.

Bring it out every couple of weeks and give it a rub with some fine wire wool and then put it back in. After a couple of months wash it off use fine wire wool and Brass.

I'm assuming you have the puma Canadian version in which case you will need to restore the front panel, it works like this.

Go to a good quality art shop and buy a fine tipped water proof black felt pen, don't use the usual cheap ones they won’t have the depth of colour.

Take the pen and fill in all the bits that are supposed to be black.

Now take some 800 grit paper fold it flat once so you have a piece about 1/2" square rub over the raised lettering to sharpen up the edges.
Jobs done, this works on data plates as well by the way.

Pete
Old 28-02-05, 20:27
M38A1 CDN3

Well, well, well...Coke, it's the real thing!

OK, I've got a couple of months before we get on the road so I'll try your method.

Many thanks for the info.
Old 28-02-05, 23:22
carrier mech

If you are trying to get the gloss back in the brass, you can use a buffing wheel on a bench grinder along with jeweller's rouge. These are both available at Princess auto. The data plate on the front can be de-soldered before the buffing takes place.
I have several of the DND ARMY marked extinguishers in about 3 or 4 variations of markings, and have had to play mix and match with civilian versions of the same extinguishers in order to get good bodies(or to tap out some dents) onto the ARMY embossed tops, . I have also seen a few of these completely painted over in Khaki, so this could be done too, and you wouldn't have to really restore anything. Soldiers didn't really care much about data plates (cause they already know everything) and would not neccessarily take care not to paint over the plate either.
Old 01-03-05, 01:34
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

If you don't want gleaming polished brass but prefer a natural , unpolished finish like new, it can be soaked in AVTUR (I'm sure have some of that lying about!) which will take the tarnish off brass but not polish it. A much slower but similar result can be acheived with kerosene (might need to soak, scrub, soak, scrub,etc). Tarnishing can be reversed, but if the brass has patches of corrosion (ie, been de-Zincified), when cleaned these will be a copper colour.
Old 01-03-05, 02:45
3RD ECHELON WKSP

Jon, I have seen NOS ones right from pyrene with decal affixed instead of brass data plate

1968 M274A5 Mule Baifield USMC
1966 M274A2 Mule BMY USMC
1958 M274 Mule Willys US Army
1970 M38A1 CDN3 70-08715 1 CSR
1981 MANAC 3/4T CDN trailer
1943 Converto Airborne Trailer
1983 M1009 CUCV

RT-524, PRC-77s,
and trucks and stuff and more stuff and and.......

OMVA, MVPA, G503, Steel Soldiers
Old 01-03-05, 04:57
M38A1 CDN3

Chris:

Yes, that's what I have, however the decal is somewhat larger than the 3'' x 5" space available for it. I've contacted Brian
Asbury (from whom I got it) to see if a proper sized decal is available.

So, I'll be trying Coke, buffing wheel with Brasso, Tony Smith's suggestion, or getting it dipped and plated.

I have to say that I really appreciate all the feed back. Thanks, guys.
Old 01-03-05, 05:13
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
So, I'll be trying Coke, buffing wheel with Brasso, Tony Smith's suggestion, or getting it dipped and plated.
It's not like you have anything else to do other than shovelling snow and drinking the Legion dry...
Old 01-03-05, 07:45

Default Pyrene

Wy polish , most WD ones were painted brown , I have several still in their original coulor, the text is a decal .
Civillian ones were usually pollished .
The ones wich are in the Canadian brown coulor are from as early as 1940 till 1944.It Is actually logic that they didn`t like sun reflecting Pyrene`s in their vehicles .
maurice
Old 01-03-05, 14:58
M38A1 CDN3

Maurice:

Very good point.

I may have to do some re-thinking here.

It looks like, indeed, the item has been overpainted a brown colour.
Old 02-03-05, 16:24

Default earth brown

Hi, I have a war dated (stamped in the handle) extinguisher and it is painted earth brown directly over the brass. A water transfer label is atop this. As has been pointed out, you would - not - want a reflection to give your location away. Besides, people like crows and magpies, steal shiny things.
A Clean item with it's original patina/finish looks better than a "restored"one.
Cheers,
Dave
Old 04-03-05, 18:20

Gentlemen

Are we talking about the British or American/Canadian pattern of Fire Extinguisher here.

Early photographs of CMP vehicles always show the British pattern fitted, but from late 43 a change over to the American pattern seems to have taken place. I currently have these in my Mk11* Carrier.

Can some one confirm this and if the Canadian models are marked in a different way to the standard jeep pattern.
Old 04-03-05, 19:40
M38A1 CDN3

The Pyrene extinguisher referred to in the start of this thread is 10" dia, 14" OAL (incl plunger).

Looks the same as shown in a pic somewhere on this Forum (Carrier Section, probably), where the focus of attention was on a 2" mortar fitting, but two of these types of extinguisher can be seen in the co-driver's compartment.
Old 07-03-05, 18:32

Jon

thank you for the information.

Interestingly in the photograph you refer to (posted by 'Waycool' on the .50 cal armed carriers thread) you have a British pattern extinguisher in an american pattern bracket.

I had always assumed that when Canadian production went over to this pattern that they also adopted the american style of extinguisher. I have certainly seen enough of these on Canadian vehicles over the years, but when they were added I cannot comment on.

Can anyone out there comment on the correct pattern of bracket and extinguisher for late war canadian vehicles.