MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 10-11-18, 20:13
carrier mech

Default Smoke Discharger Nuts.

I had a machinist friend copy my original smoke discharger nut for the 4 inch smoke dischargers. It seems like the nut is one of the harder items to find for these. I needed one for a carrier I am doing at work, so there are 5 others up for grabs at $100 Cdn each plus postage.

Note: 2 now spoken for, only 3 left.

One more spoken for, so 2 left with one of those on a 24 hour hold.

One more spoken for, and the one that is on 24 hour hold, if that buyer turns it down, already has another buyer lined up. So with that, all are now sold.

I realize that others from the forum in other parts of the world may not have seen this ad. If there is sufficient interest, my machinist would be willing to do another run of a half dozen. PM me or list your expressions of interest here.

Price may seem a little steep, but I did loan mine out in the past for guys to have copied, and it came out to double that price. These ones are exact, right down to the angle of the ratchet teeth (not used on the carrier set-up, but still a nice original feature). Note that you require the original stepped barrel to use these, either on an Enfield action or, in Canada, usually on a Ross action. Apparently the larger thread is a whitworth conduit thread.

Attached is a photo of the nuts, along with a photo of what the proper barrel should look like.

Make no mistake, these are not an easy item to make. There is a lot of machining involved. The more you look at one, the more you realize that the British seemed to feel they had a lot of time on their hands at a time they probably didn't. The price I am offering them at each represents one hour of shop time at the machine shop plus the material.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0001 (1).jpg   DSCF0005.jpg  

Last edited by rob love; 11-11-18 at 04:32.
Old 11-11-18, 00:39

Folks,
I am one of the lucky people who had the privilege of borrowing the original nut from Rob to copy. The price is about right on (the actual price was more). It was a bit of a challenge to get a machine shop back then to take on the job. In my area the oil business had priority.
Thanks again Rob,
Doug
Old 24-11-18, 15:45
carrier mech

I had someone ask, so to confirm: Thread on these is 1-16 British Whitworth electrical conduit thread. Seems like an odd thread for the designers to have selected, but it is what it is.

I have had a request for one more. Will need a few more requests to make another run feasible.
Old 19-05-19, 02:06

I would like to purchase one of these, please. I have also sent you an email.
Thanks,
Paul Schipper
Old 19-05-19, 02:53
carrier mech

Paul

Not a problem, my machinist did another run of these, so we have some on the shelf ready to go.

He also did another run of the Boys rifle mk1 muzzle brakes for those lucky enough to have a Boys rifle, but want the earlier muzzle brake so the rifle will stow properly in their carrier.
Old 19-05-19, 12:29
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
Paul

Not a problem, my machinist did another run of these, so we have some on the shelf ready to go.

He also did another run of the Boys rifle mk1 muzzle brakes ....
To jog the memory:

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21024