MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 13-05-16, 01:22
GM Fox I

Default Wireless of the Week - week 13

Born as a Combined Operations set and wading ashore on D-Day at Normandy, the Wireless Set No.46 is about as front line as you can get in a portable infantry radio. It was produced by E.K. Cole beginning in 1942 and used from then until the end of the war and for some time thereafter.

Designed for communication in combat situations including beach landings, the 46 set was waterproof, easy to use and rugged. Its general configuration is similar to the standard 38 set in having the set worn on the operator’s left front in a canvas carrier, a haversack on his back holding a dry battery and a junction box to connect the set, battery and headsets. Controls were on the face of the set which were covered by a lid on the canvas carrier when not in use. Again similar to the 38 set, the 46 used a throat mic and the operator pushed a ‘Press to Send’ button on the set itself when he wanted to transmit. The send button was also the morse ‘key’ when the set was switched from R/T (voice) to MCW (morse). Other controls include an on/off switch, a window indicating when the set was powered, a channel selector switch (A, B or C) and an aerial trimmer. Eight Individual ‘B’ aerial sections were carried in a sleeve in the set carrier as well as a card with operating instructions. The haversack worn on the back held the battery and a spare, and the external junction box with leads to the set, battery and two headset drop leads or ‘snatch plugs’.

Frequency range was from 3.6 MHz to 9.1 MHz in preset crystal controlled channels. This was obtained by using four different colour coded plug in coils: red (3.6 to 4.3 MHz), blue (5 to 6 MHz), white (6.4 to 7.6 MHz) and yellow 7.9 to 9.1 MHz). Each coloured coil would allow three preset frequencies within its range A, B, or C selected by the switch on the set face. What this meant is that two sets with the same coloured coils had three channels to choose from, easily selected by switching to A, B or C. These sets could only talk to each other but not to another 46 set with a different coloured coil. Any other variable tunable AM receiver listening in could tune to a 46 set signal, but the 46 set operator could not tune to anything other than one of his three crystal controlled frequencies. He probably had no idea and didn't care what frequency he was actually on; all he need to know was A, B or C.

Range was up to 10 miles with a standard 7’ 6” aerial made from ‘B’ sections, however a 12’ or 16’ aerial made from ‘F’ sections or a ‘long’ wire aerial could be used. These required an adapter plugged into the set’s aerial socket. The sockets on the adapter were marked “F” and “L”’ respectively. A dummy load aerial was attached to the set so the set could be tested without radiating a signal. Dry batteries provided 3 volts (LT) and 150 volts (HT) and initially were the same as those used in the No.18 set, however later ones were modified to reduce the different drain between HT and LT consumption.

The 46 set was a very advanced design both in performance, size, ease of use and its waterproof capabilities. It was eventually eclipsed by late and post was VHF sets, however it did soldier on especially in jungle or hilly environments where AM signals were superior.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

Old 13-05-16, 17:00

Nice set.

I have one somewhere... perhaps can dig out and photograph the Instruction Card, Waist Belt and Batteries if you do not have these?

Tim
Old 14-05-16, 00:38
GM Fox I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bell View Post
Nice set.

I have one somewhere... perhaps can dig out and photograph the Instruction Card, Waist Belt and Batteries if you do not have these?

Tim
Tim, I think you're on to me. If it isn't in the photo's I probably don't have it. Notice how Corporal Stickman is showing off how to wear the set instead of a pic of the manual that I would normally put in the last position. That's a pretty good indication I don't have one.

I'd love to see pics of the quick release belt (Part1 and Part 2) and the rest.

What I do have but didn't show is a spare carrier in jungle green and the photo also shows the disc that was used to record the actual frequencies of the preset A, B and C channels.
Attached Thumbnails
6.jpg  
Old 17-05-16, 15:09

Not found the webbing bits yet - I know where they are, but not got to the boxes yet.

However, I have dug out the paperwork.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WS46-1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	82129

Name:	WS46-2.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	82130

Name:	WS46-3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	82131

Name:	WS46-4.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	82132

Tim
Old 17-05-16, 21:30
Junior Password Gnome

The battery used was the WS18 type: Battery, Dry, 162/3volt, and the tapped HT section provided 150 volt HT and -12V grid bias.

In addition to the instruction card, the actual working instructions were provided on a fairly indestructible aluminium plate, anodised so that the plate was black with silver lettering/lines.

The Royal Navy knew the set as "Type 621" and there was B.R.1746 which contained the full set of EMERs.

The backpack was also available without any of the set fittings, and with the hole in the side blanked off by a circular tinplate disk. This was Satchel, Signals, No.3 ZA.14869 and may simply have existed as a spare for replacement purposes.

The rubber disk with the frequency list in it is also the protective cap for the set connector.

Chris.
(I need an instruction plate and also the aerial rod carrier to complete my set, if anyone has a spare.)
Old 30-04-18, 14:09

Default Help with the 46 set

Hi guys,

I think this is my first post on the forum so if im getting anything wrong please let me know.
Im a ww2 reenactor part of a Royal Navy beach commando unit, i have aquired a non working yet complete wireless set 46, i know the beach commandos as part of combined operations used them as it is within their kit list mentioned in combined operations pamphlet 17
http://www.relaysystem.co.uk/KSB_Pam..._Commandos.pdf
(page 16)

The reason ive posted here is that i have and only have two photos of commandos using the 46 set, that ive found on the internet, plus the metal instruction plate diagram.
Do you guys have any more images, of any unit using a 46 set?
Ive trawled google, the IWM achives and every text book i can find.

The reason is im trying to put the webbing gear together to actually hang the 46set from.
i know it will be a 37pattern belt and cross straps, possibly with extenders. but for rest of the equipment im guessing.
wireless satchel or small pack on the hip?
but for the other side of the chest i have no idea.

i have attached the two photgraphs i have

many thanks
Alan
Attached Thumbnails
radio operator 2.jpg   radio operator.jpg  
Old 30-04-18, 20:08
Junior Password Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Reynolds View Post
Do you guys have any more images, of any unit using a 46 set?
Ive trawled google, the IWM achives and every text book i can find.

The reason is im trying to put the webbing gear together to actually hang the 46set from.
i know it will be a 37pattern belt and cross straps, possibly with extenders. but for rest of the equipment im guessing.
wireless satchel or small pack on the hip?
but for the other side of the chest i have no idea.
Hi Alan,

There are some smaller photographs in Wireless for the Warrior Volume 2, as well as line drawings, but they're not much help.

As far as I can make out, the standard infantry belt and cross-straps are used, with brace extensions on the belt. The respirator is carried on the right hand side of the chest, for ease of access.

The WS46 backpack (Satchel, Signals, No.3 plus wiring harness, etc.) is fitted with a pair of brace straps. The left hand one also has a 'Hooks, Brace' (as used with the WS38) attached. Belt extensions No.1 and No.2 are fitted to the left hand side of the waistbelt. Putting the set on must be something of an art!

The backpack is worn in the normal way, and hooked onto the brace extensions. The set carrier is then suspended from the 'Hooks, Brace' on the LH brace, and secured to the waistbelt by the belt extensions. I'll see if I can get photographs of all the various bits so you know what to look for.

There is no additional signals satchel carried; the backpack contains two batteries (one spare) in waterproof bags, along with the second headset assembly, aerial adapter, and ancillaries.

Chris.
Old 01-05-18, 20:41

hello.
Some more pictures from the WS46 in action

Old 01-05-18, 22:33
Junior Password Gnome

First photo:

Note the Hooks, Brace attached to the L.H. brace, and that the R.H. brace seems to be adjusted to be as loose as possible. (To be able to remove the set as easily as possible? None of the webbing is being worn at this point.)

Third photo:

Brace Hook is attached to the R.H. brace, which appears to be clipped to a utility pouch. Set carrier is fastened to the left brace (probably) somehow!

Fourth photo:

Set is slung over left shoulder by the look of things, and is not being worn.

All "adjusted" for personal comfort / ease of use rather than as described in the working instructions!

Chris.