MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 22-08-18, 11:22

Default C60 Differential rebuild

Hi, I am replacing the pinion & ring gears in the diffs of my C60.

I notice that among the diffs I have (5 of them), some have 8 bolts holding the differential case together i.e. one either side of the 4 pinion shafts & some have 12 bolts. That is an intermediate bolt between each pair on the 8 bolt assemblies. Fig 16 in the 1943 manual, page H- 9 shows a blank space between the bolts (opposite on the parts of the carrier marked X) where the twelfth bolt is situated. See also fig. 15 page H-8. The 1942 manual has similar pictures & the 1942 parts list book I have only lists 8 bolts in this application. My question is; is the 12-bolt unit a later production idea to give the unit more strength, or was it an earlier idea that was deemed not necessary? This last option does not seem correct.
It would be my preference to use the 12 bolt carriers. I would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Further: I have new pinions & ring gears, but no rivets. Does anyone in Australia know where I could get some (28 of them)? Or could anybody provide me with a sample that I could copy or dimensions, especially of the rivet head & I will make them.

I also have plans for a riveting jig but would appreciate any information that anyone could give me in that regard. I would love to hear that someone has one but that is probably too much to imagine. It has been suggested that I use hot riveting by hand, but I do not accept that this gives the same quality of work. I have press capacity to cold rivet.

I would like to hear any & all suggestions, experiences etc. that you have.

Thanks
Ken Thomas C60.
Old 22-08-18, 12:21

I do not have the info that you need on the diffs but would very strongly advise that trying to hot rivet by hand will be a disaster ! The rivets are not big enough to hold their heat for long enough to fully form the heads before they go cold. The result will be that the shank cannot contract after the head is formed and the rivet will not be either swelled out and fully filling its hole or be in axial tension due to its contraction. It will come loose very quickly.

Cold riveting in a press is fine for things like assembling chassis where the rivets are quite short but this is an application where the contraction of a hot rivet after it is set in place is very usefull. If you can cold rivet in your press I would strongly suggest that setting up a little furnace and having a helper to put the rivet in the hole before the seccond man squeezes it in the press would make a much better job. Speed is critical here as is the length of the rivets. I expect that they are not supposed to be mild steel either though I do not have information on what the correct material should be.

It will be very interesting to hear how you get on...

David
Old 31-08-18, 04:23

Ken, I read the procedure and was amazed that cold rivets are used to secure the ring gear to the carrier on the C60. Comparing the cross section to the C15, it looks like the the relocation, or size increase (or both) of the heavier pinion support bearing didn't leave enough room for bolts to secure the ring gear! Talk about complicating maintenance on a wearing part.
The manual talks about using a 20 ton press, special tooling and the rivets specified in the parts list. And if you don't have access to that lot, buying the crown gear and carrier half as an assembled unit.
Since you have the bare ring gear and pinion as a matched set, have you contacted the supplier about getting the rivets? My take is they shouldn't be selling these parts without advice and parts on how to install them.

This has got to be a known problem. Have you searched on MLU, HMVF and https://www.canadianmilitarypattern.com for an answer?

Malcolm
Old 31-08-18, 05:39
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

I would be looking into a post-war heavy Chev truck to see if there is a comparable sized ring and pinion that utilises bolts to retain the ring gear. You might even consider a whole take-out centre diff assembly.

Unfortunately, heavy Chev trucks were not common in post-war Aust, being outsold by International and Dodge as the most common medium/heavy trucks. However, with Eaton differentials being the most common components across all makes (even Ford), there might be something about.