MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 09-04-09, 22:39

Default canadian 2 pounder tank hunter

Hi all, want to repair my tank hunter 2 pounder gun mount that somebody sliced in half, i have attached a picture of a mount from another carrier, i need some close up pictures please and some dimensions if possible of the mount part only ...........it's a long shot but someone out there must have details. basically the front half of the mount is missing cut parallel through the centre of the mount hole. i need to repair it before the 6th of june.....help.
Attached Thumbnails
Resize%20of%20PB200310.jpg  
Attached Images

1941 Standard Mk1 stowage Carrier, light stone.
10 cwt wartime mortar trailer.
1943 Mk2 Daimler Dingo.
1943 Willys MB.
1936 Vickers MG carrier No1 Mk1 CMM 985.
Old 09-04-09, 22:47

Here a picture of it looking at the underside.........why would someone cut it?. what a waste?.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1882_1[1].JPG  
1943 Mk2 Daimler Dingo.
1943 Willys MB.
Old 09-04-09, 23:33
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default eek!

Kevin, did you import this from here, or find it over there? If there, do you have any history?

The reason I ask is that there was only one or two of the original 24 of these beasties sent over to England for evaluation, with the rest staying here and ultimately performing 'airfield defence' roles (the model having been judged as basically a waste of time). If yours was one of those shipped over early in the war, you truly have a find...

Having said that, there are two I know of here - one in the Canadian War Museum and the one you pictured with the intact mount (there are others as well). The latter I lost in a bidding war in an auction some years ago; I'm not sure where it is now but I bet I can find out - probably not before 6 June though.
Old 10-04-09, 02:26

Hi Geoff, The carrier was imported from Canada by myself not in 1942 but in 2008. I understand there was 100 or so made and I too would like to know what happened to the one sent for trials. I tried contacting the war museum asking if they would photograph there carrier, air ticket too expensive. They would only sell me development pictures they have on file, most I had seen before. I just need a few measurements to replicate the wedge shaped part of the mount as half the hole remains allowing accurate fabrication of the mount hole itself. I think I can do a pretty good job from the pictures I have but only have one shot at this and want to get it spot on.

Anyone got a pintle that fits into it......ooh also looking for a top engine cover as pictured.
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP4663.jpg   IMG_6487.jpg  
1943 Mk2 Daimler Dingo.
1943 Willys MB.
Old 10-04-09, 02:58
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Kevin,

While I stand to be corrected, it's our information that only a total of 24 were actually manufactured and equipped to carry the 2 pdr gun - which makes yours one of yet fewer. As an aside, it truly is surprising that so many of these 24 have survived (I think the number is seven or eight known) compared to the overall number of carriers preserved.

I'll see what I can do to find the carrier I told you about and take the pictures you seek; Cliff L, if you see this, could you call me?

Kevin, methinks you'll pretty much have to remanufacture those engine covers, but the carrier I lost out on has a full set, so maybe I can at least help you with pics and measurements. We'll see.

Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin powles View Post
Hi Geoff, The carrier was imported from Canada by myself not in 1942 but in 2008. I understand there was 100 or so made and I too would like to know what happened to the one sent for trials. I tried contacting the war museum asking if they would photograph there carrier, air ticket too expensive. They would only sell me development pictures they have on file, most I had seen before. I just need a few measurements to replicate the wedge shaped part of the mount as half the hole remains allowing accurate fabrication of the mount hole itself. I think I can do a pretty good job from the pictures I have but only have one shot at this and want to get it spot on.

Anyone got a pintle that fits into it......ooh also looking for a top engine cover as pictured.
Old 10-04-09, 05:26

I was always under the assumption that 100 were converted. The serial # block assigned to that contract does show 100 numbers in the range. However I found one uncut/semi-restored carrier that is at the begining of the range and it is unmodified. My front armour's # is part of this same range and my lower hull has a few modifications done to it that lead me to beleive it was also within the range.

Now I do think Cliff Ladoucer has a mostly complete 2pdr carrier. Ive seen pictures and his had all the engine panles. However I haven't heard anything from him in a few years now.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 22-04-09, 05:35
RIP

Cliff Ladouceur has the 2 pdr you mentioned.
cliffcmp1atnetscape.net
Old 03-06-09, 06:05

Default 2 Pounder mount

Kevin,

Please see thread in Gun Park

Pedr
Old 03-06-09, 09:00

Hi Kevin,
I have both 2pdr and 6pdr A/T guns sitting in the yard , if you want to measure them for copies give me a call on my mobile (no land line number for the museum yet - waiting on BT) I have another chap who needs a copy of a 6pdr shield so i may be making some.
TTFN
Shaun