MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 30-03-10, 13:03

Default C15A ignition switch. Instrument panel

Hi All ,
I am currently dismantling a chev dash panel , the ignition switch has a threaded ring on the front which I have loosened , but it wont unscrew completely because the lever part is in the way , anyone know how to remove it ?
Also there is a small hook on the left , what would this be for ?
There is an oil pressure guage added on the bottom left , I dont suppose it is a standard fitting , any ideas ?
Regards Jim.
Attached Thumbnails
C15 dash.jpg   C15 ign sw.jpg  
Old 30-03-10, 22:49

Default Here is how to dissemble the Ignition Switch

Hi Jim

I broke the first one I tried to take apart but it is actually easy. Take a look at the bottom of http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.c...%20Harness.htm for some pictures of the switch taken apart.

Now as to how to disassemble here is a link to a short video I did today on a switch. http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.c...n%20Switch.wmv hope this helps.

If anybody can not down load the video because of the speed of your connection let me know and I'll drop the file size.

As to the add on oil gauge I'll bet it was because they did have the replacement gauge for the instrument cluster.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com

Last edited by Phil Waterman; 30-03-10 at 22:52. Reason: Add comment
Old 30-03-10, 23:33
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
Hi Jim

I broke the first one I tried to take apart but it is actually easy. Take a look at the bottom of http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.c...%20Harness.htm for some pictures of the switch taken apart.

Now as to how to disassemble here is a link to a short video I did today on a switch. http://www.canadianmilitarypattern.c...n%20Switch.wmv hope this helps.

If anybody can not down load the video because of the speed of your connection let me know and I'll drop the file size.

As to the add on oil gauge I'll bet it was because they did have the replacement gauge for the instrument cluster.

Cheers Phil
Phil..
Nice job on the switch dissemble vid..I can see why you broke the first one..Simple once you see how it is done..Neat..Hope to see you at BBB in June..
Alex
Old 31-03-10, 23:59
RIP

Default Ignition Switch

I also had this frustrating problem until my eagle eyes spotted the small hole. Had to be there for a reason and once I found the bottom of the hole was spring loaded, out popped the top of the switch. Great restoration images. How are you off for the instrument panel?

Bob
Website owner - salesmanbob.com
Old 02-04-10, 13:17

Thanks again Phil your advice worked fine ,
I had a look at your website , very impressed , how do you keep your vehicles so clean !
As my truck will be spending 6 months or so putting around a paddock , running in the motor and brakes etc I am not too concerned about the instruments , in fact I've just put the speedo and a few other bits on ebay as they will be a bit much for me to repair .
Regards Jim.
Old 02-04-10, 16:32

Default Keeping them clean

Hi Jim

Glad the little video helped, as I said I broke the first one that I tried to take apart, so I wanted to save other people that problem. I'll try and remember to take a picture of the little tool which is designed to unscrew or tighten the ring. Now that you see how they come apart you can see that they are just the standard civilian ignition switch so keep your eye for a good one at the flea markets. You can swap your switch knob and cylinder into a civilian one. The civilian ones often are cheap because the key has been lost, but with a little practice you can pick the lock and then push the little pin in and the whole cylinder will slide out.

As to how do I keep the trucks clean, generally I don't they have all been buried to the axles in mud. But you get the mud off by fording streams and driving in hard rain. But yes I do wash them before parking them so they are read for the next parade. The other thing is to get any reasonable antique truck insurance (other than liability) here in the states they have to be garaged. They want to confirm that the trucks are actually stored in doors, which keeps them out of the rain and snow. I had to submit photos of the building and all of the trucks parked it to get coverage. What strange though is the biggest cause for full insurance payment is from building collapse. One guy in our club lost six trucks, crushed flat, in a modern Quonset Hut when it collapsed from unequal snow loading.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com