MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Carrier Forum

Notices

Old 27-12-12, 08:07

Default An amazing job you have done.

I am very impressed with the way it is coming together. Good Job so far.
Old 27-12-12, 09:00

We had this discussion some while ago. I rushed to check mine and thankfully they were as the experts had decided is correct as per the original fitting instructions and pictures. (Smiling I suppose). Although either way will work.
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Carrier 001.jpg   Carrier 134.jpg  
Old 29-12-12, 20:36

Default smile or frown

Tracks going on tomorrow, have been looking at them and wasn't sure if they smile or frown when looked at from the front,

Put them back on with a smile as when you collected Euclid?
Attached Thumbnails
U.C. Mk 1 track direction.jpg   Euclid smiles.jpg  

Last edited by Michael R.; 31-12-12 at 16:30.
Old 01-01-13, 07:04
Lew Skelton

Default couple of photos of my progress

here are a few photos of my progress, enjoy. 2nd photo is of the bottom of the fuel tank showing the pitting.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00154.jpg   DSC00160.jpg   DSC00197.jpg   DSC00201 (2).jpg  
Old 01-01-13, 07:10
Lew Skelton

Default some more photos

putting on the track, read up on Bob's track orientation thread. No track tools just a couple of stops and an endless chain. Ended up fitting them as they had come off but swapped them from one side to the other, thanks for the prompt Micheal.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00208.jpg   DSC00211.jpg   DSC00215.jpg   DSC00221.jpg  

Last edited by Lew Skelton; 01-01-13 at 07:43.
Old 01-01-13, 07:22
Lew Skelton

Default few more photos

fitted the front seats, found it easier to bolt down the outer seat mounts then fit the rest of the seat to them and then bolt down the inner mounts. Rear drivers side fuel tank fitted as is the seat base, will fit the gunners tank after the air scoop goes in ( it looks like there will be more room for the oil cooler lines that way, also found that the air scoop was put together incorrectly so did some de construction and rebuilding, also got keen and made all the fittings for the rear of the scoop, really glad as it looks way better than how it was.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00230.jpg   DSC00232.jpg   DSC00233.jpg   DSC00241.jpg  
Old 01-01-13, 07:33
Lew Skelton

Default last couple of photos for today

got busy and cut the bottom off the dash panel as it was rusty as, welded in some new old steel and with a bit of bog and grinding it will be just like new.
Also have fitted all the other bits into the front compartment, drivers box, pedal control rods and guards, so much comfortable when the seats are in.
Off to a craft show tomorrw with the wife and kids to earn brownie points for all the time spent in the garage over the last few days.......
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00127.jpg   DSC00242.jpg   DSC01348.jpg  
Old 01-01-13, 09:07
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Carrier progress

Really enjoying your pics and progress Lew. Looks like a great job with the dash repair too.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 01-01-13, 22:19

Thumbs up

Nice job on the carrier good to see another one coming back to life.
Old 03-01-13, 10:04
Lew Skelton

Default another days work.....

So I was up at sparrows fart and got cracking, put the air scoop in, oil cooler then radiator, took them out for a moment to do some adjustments.... then they went back in again. Fitted the oil cooler lines and fuel tank then the seats and fuel lines. Had a cuppa and back into it fitted the radiator over flow valve and pipe work. Then for the engine and gearbox, it went on without a hitch (better than the airscoop) bolted up the drive coupling and set to sorting out the throttle linkage as the old one had been butchered to get the diesel enging going, called it quits as the kids had caught an eel and wanted it gutted ready for smoking tomorrow.
Plans for tomottow are to make up a clutch control rod, connect fuel to the engine and crank it up, tension the track and poss give it a quick test drive....

Might I add in the bottom left of the 3rd photo is the tripod bottom mount, it is very difficult to fit no matter which way I lay crouched or held my mouth.
2nd photo is the dash paned after welding boging and painting, I think it came up better than I imagined.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00246.jpg   DSC00250.jpg   DSC00252.jpg   DSC00253.jpg  

Last edited by Lew Skelton; 03-01-13 at 10:16.
Old 03-01-13, 10:11
Lew Skelton

Default couple more photos

couple more photos, the radiator was in and out then back in while I titovated the shroud on the air scoop (it was too close to the side of the radiator for my liking) I will need to pick up some new radiator hose clamps as the ones I have are too small.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00258 (2).jpg   DSC00262 (2).jpg   DSC00264 (2).jpg   DSC00269 (2).jpg  
Old 04-01-13, 07:59
Lew Skelton

Default Sweet runner

So got into it again today, a few finishing touches to ensure it was going to go ( hose clamps ignition wired up, fuel, oil pressure ) and then it started first crank and idled nicely, let it warm up and then did up the wheel nuts that hold on the drive sprockets (cheers eagle eye Dave) nosed it out of the garage went up and back on the drive, tensioned the track a little then out down the street loaded with children. Sadly no photos or video as I couldnt find my camera ( blambed the kids then found it just before , exactily where I left it ) The eel cooked was smoked and got gobbled up before I could get a look in. May head back out to the garage later just to make sure it still runs...... Did i mention that its got no exhaust just the manifold at the moment.......... Sounds awesome!!

Lew
Old 04-01-13, 09:22
Bluebell

Default Lew

So,........Have you been ripping up Shane and Tash's road frontage? How many people were there on Sandilands street at the time?

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 06-01-13, 05:57
Lew Skelton

Default Low mileage!!

I pulled the speedo head apart yesterday, the odometer was faded beyond recognition but after pulling it apart and looking at the numbers either side it has only 983 miles on the clock (before it was disconnected or stopped working). Have now hit the road for a few days on holiday with the family.
Old 06-01-13, 06:09
Steve Denby

Gonna bring it down to the Airshow? Can get you Two weekend passes for the show if you are.
1941 Morris Commercial CS8
Old 06-01-13, 06:47
Lew Skelton

Default Planning on coming

Sent you a pm
Old 21-01-13, 08:39

Lew's Carrier at Wings over Wairarapa
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3291a.jpg   IMG_3427a.jpg  
Old 21-01-13, 08:40

More shots of Lew's Carrier
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3428a.jpg   IMG_3432a.jpg  
Old 24-01-13, 10:24
Lew Skelton

Default A few shots from the airshow

So I put in a few long days prior to the airshow and got the carrier to a presentable condition, still have a bit of work to do as gearbox has a rumbling input bearing and theres a bit of tracking at the dizzy thats causing it to run like dogshit, although prior to tracking it did sound pretty good as I got some exhaust pipe bent up replicating the Tekapo exhaust conversion. whilst doing a few laps of the track on Sunday morning I threw a track doing doughnuts (cos everyone was doing them). Enjoy the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00292.jpg   DSC00293.jpg   DSC00294.jpg   DSC00295.jpg  
Old 24-01-13, 10:52
Lew Skelton

Default couple more photos

I need to take a few links out of both sides as after a bit of driving the tracks loosened up quite a bit, the camera on the gunners armour was to record me doing a bit of driving (may have captured some choice words as the track fell off) . The other photos are of the carriers lined up on Sun morning then later that afternoon prior to the battle, last photo is my son keen as to go for his first ride off road in my carrier, not sure who had the bigger grin him or me.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00297 - Copy.jpg   DSC00303.jpg   DSC00301 - Copy.jpg   DSC00352.jpg   DSC00357.jpg  

Old 24-01-13, 11:26

Hi, Any shots of the rear of that mortar carrier, anyone know who owns it, contact details?.

Many thanks kevin.
1941 Standard Mk1 stowage Carrier, light stone.
10 cwt wartime mortar trailer.
1943 Mk2 Daimler Dingo.
1943 Willys MB.
1936 Vickers MG carrier No1 Mk1 CMM 985.
Old 24-01-13, 15:31
Lew Skelton

Default Mortar crrier

I didnt take any photos of the back of the mortar carrier, if you get in touch with Dave Hardway/ Bedford boys they should be able to help.
Old 09-02-13, 09:29
Lew Skelton

Default Dizzy troubles....

I got into the carrier today finally (been waterproofing a leaky old caravan that has sucked up all my spare time) pulled off the dizzy cap to check for the cause of the miss, their was a little bit of dust inside the cap so i cleaned that up, took off the rotor arm. Bugger me, found the cause, spark had erroded a hole thru the arm and had been sneaking out thru the dizzy shaft.

So as your common old tightarse I got in and cleaned it up then filled the hole with fiberglass resin, waited for it to set filed it smooth and coated it with nail polish varnish. Made up a better set of HT leads, I will let you know how it goes.......
Old 10-02-13, 14:20

Default Carriers all

Just found MLU. Good looking carrier Lew.took 3 years to do mine. Notice in your hull a hole with 4bolt holes just in front of the the rear road wheel carrier. Not in mine so wondered what it's for? Mine was built in Adelaide No4354.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-02-13, 18:41
Lew Skelton

Default Its an exhaust hole

Hi Ric, this carrier was used in the south island, due to the hot exhaust pipes catching the long tussock on fire some carriers recieved the "Tekapo" conversion. Basically the exhaust comes off the manifold and is piped out the Side of the hull. No mufflers required. I was out in the shed with the carrier running yesterday after putting the dizzy back just enjoying the exhaust note at vairing rev ranges.
Old 04-03-13, 09:11
Lew Skelton

Default a little bit of work on the track's

had the carrier out of the garage this weekend, took both tracks off to remove links and improve track tension and remove the extra cleats that had been welded to some links to improve traction. Found a track link with a big crack and a pin that had broken off inside a link, fixed all that up as well as orientating all joiner pins so the heads are on the inside and split pins facing out for easy inspection, also replaced the dizzy cap and rotor arm, running much better. Also had a helper for all of 5 min....
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00538.jpg   DSC00542.jpg   DSC00543.jpg   DSC00545.jpg   DSC00548.jpg  

Old 17-03-13, 10:35
Lew Skelton

Default location of the ignition coil

I had the carrier out at a local school gala day giving rides to both the young and old, had one kid so excited he was gangham dancing as we went down the road. Couple of old soldiers that had been in carriers back in the day also.
So it was a hot as day over here in drought ridden New Zealand with a high of 26 degrees and an engine bay hotter than satans arse end.... All went well for the first 2 hours of rides but after lunch when it was hottest I had some engine trouble as it was if the spark was breaking down as I put on some load after changing into 3rd gear, it would stall but would start again with the ignition and run immediatly. Thought it might be a little hot for the coil to keep up with things as it was too hot to hold my hand on when I did a bit of a feel about. Went good as gold after about 45 min sitting with all the covers off but then after about 10 min started playing up again. Any thoughts, I am running a 12v coil (from a Honda civic, mid 80's ) and battery at the moment. Also my coil is mounted beside the generator on a bracket.
Old 18-03-13, 05:30
Steve Denby

Try moving the coil up into the air dam, I think this is where Paul put his.
1941 Morris Commercial CS8
Old 18-03-13, 06:35
Lew Skelton

Default cheers, here is a photo of it.

as you can see, its beside the generator, I thought the fan wash would have been enough. Anyone from the hotter parts of Aussie got an opionion of dealt with this problem?
Old 18-03-13, 06:38
Lew Skelton

Default forgot the photo

here it is
Attached Thumbnails
dizzy photo.jpg