MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 18-12-10, 21:38

Default FV603 Saracen

This FV603 Saracen was for sale at Cohen and Cohen scap yard in Ottawa in 1984. I wonder what the story was concerning this vehicle and what became of it?

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...aracencopy.jpg
Old 19-12-10, 00:40

Thanks for posting this Ed! I took pictures of this before it disappeared and was trying to dig them up last year but couldn't find them. I remembered it had a reg. plate on it and was curious what the number was. Problem solved!

IIRC that Saracen was later sold to SAIL (now PREFAIR) in Montreal. The last i saw of it was about 2002 when it was displayed in the front yard. I know that when I went through the back lot at Prefair in November it wasn't present.

I was told many years ago that this vehicle was acquired by the Museum of Science and Technology after going through trials in Canada and disposed of after radar equipment was removed from it. I know that Science and Tech. still has a very nice Saracen in storage so this may be a case of mistaken identity. A close look at the pic does show large mounting points still present on the roof and no turret so could this be a radar vehicle? I seem to recall that I took pictures of the inside and this vehicle and it wasn't equipped to carry a turret.

Hopefully someone recognizes the vehicle or configuration.

Ed you didn't by chance get a pic of the Ferret that used to sit beside this Saracen at Cohen's did you?
Old 19-12-10, 03:09

Default Montreal

No photo of the Ferret at Cohen's, although I do have a couple of images of the Saracen at SAIL. It has the radar mounted on it and my images do not have the registration plate, so I was not sure if it was the same vehicle as the one I photographed in 1984.
Old 19-12-10, 03:40

If you can please post a pic of the Sail Saracen. I recall that both vehicles were missing the centre wheel stations. I think that they just placed a naval dish on the roof while at Sail. Something like a AN/SPS-502 dish but i can't really recall. They also had M5 High Speed Tractor and a M135 with a naval rocket system in the bed but they are both gone as well.
Old 19-12-10, 21:10

Default SAIL Saracen

Here is a 2004 image from SAIL in Montreal.

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...Radar2copy.jpg
Old 20-12-10, 03:54

Default Science and Tech......

Hi Jason

In the late 70s the Museum of S&T had two Saracen...... one was very complete including the inside.... the second one had both centre wheels removed and was mostly stripped on the inside...... they also had the Badeck speed boat sitting there also........ the one with the outside water wings.... whatever they are called..... although they were removed for shipping they were stacked up next to the boat...... security was not serious in those days and you could easily crawl in on early Sunday mornings..... never managed to crawl up the boat as it was rather high in wooden supports and no ladder to climb....but did crawl into the Saracen....... we were hoping to get the RR 6 cyl. engine for the Dodge M37.....

Story had it that they sat idle in the back section of the NRC Montreal Campus for years......

Bob
Canada