MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > Military Shows & Events

Notices

Old 07-04-19, 14:21

Default That time of year...........

where the question is asked. What is going on for the Tulip Festival in Ottawa in May in regard to Veterans/Liberation acknowledgement ??
Is it happening? dates? location ?
Old 10-04-19, 05:12

Default Canadian Tulip Festival 2019

Good question, bad answer. I asked the likely suspects about the status of the Canadian Tulip Festival for 2019 with regards to Veterans/Liberation acknowledgement.

The Canadian Tulip Festival 2019 in Ottawa is on from May 10th - 20th, 2019 for 11 days in Commissioner's Park. According to the likely suspects, there will not be any military re-enactments; parades; or static displays of the kind that have occurred in the past.

Last year, there was a military re-enactment event that was held in Merrickville. There are no plans to have a repeat this year.

Ref: https://tulipfestival.ca/
Old 11-04-19, 12:21

Thanks for the confirmation Stuart, I figured that this event was on the way out after it got dispatched to Merrickville last year and out of sight out of mind for 2019.
Old 11-04-19, 23:04
Terry Warner

Default Top level Tulip Festival changes

Was speaking to a fellow who had previous employment with the Tulip Festival managers as a skilled worker. His department has been cut completely, and all the assets he would have been using were shunted off to records. An all digital management scheme - probably all the rage with the business crowd, but for him not a promising future. So, he's looking for other work.

Which leads to my confirmation observation that uniforms, smelly trucks, things that go bang (or clatter), and less opportunities for the corporate sponsorship fundraisers are likely gone until the next new 5-watt idea comes along.

74-????? M151A2 plated and on the road
70-08876 M38A1 ready for the road
53-71233 M100CDN trailer manufactured by MCI ready for the road

Wow! All three green beasties run!
Old 13-04-19, 23:12

Default Merrickville Tulip Festival 2019

Just came across this site:

Ref: http://www.merrickvilletulipfestival.ca

"...... Come and enjoy the sights and events at Merrickville's Tulip Festival May 10 to May 20, 2019.

A 10 day festival with so many activities and events for everyone to enjoy Whether you plan on coming to Merrickville for the beautiful display of 2600 tulips throughout the Village, the special music events planned or the food and fun, this is a destination that shouldn't be missed!

The Merrickville Tulip Festival celebrates spring, tulips and Dutch culture in partnership with the Ottawa Canadian Tulip Festival as a “Friendship Tulip Site” and the Merrickville Lions Club. ….."

Ref: http://www.merrickvilletulipfestival.ca/#events

It appears this is a sister event with the Canadian Tulip Festival.

There was no mention of Veterans/Liberation acknowledgement on the web page. I know that there is a Dutch community in and around Merrickville, as they usually participate in the Canada Day events. It is my understanding that most came to Canada post WWII.

Ref: https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia....ion-of-holland

Quote:
From 2005

Remembrance

More than 7,600 Canadian soldiers, sailors and airmen died fighting in the Netherlands. They are buried today in official war cemeteries across the country. The largest, Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery near the city of Nijmegen, holds the graves of more than 2,300 Canadians.

Canadians are fondly remembered by the Dutch as both liberators and saviors who rescued millions from sickness and starvation in 1945. The joyous "Canadian summer" that followed forged deep and long-lasting bonds of friendship between the two countries.

Every year since the war, the Netherlands has sent thousands of tulips to Ottawa, in appreciation for Canada's sacrifice and for providing safe harbour to the Dutch royal family, which lived in exile in Canada during the war. The Canadian-Dutch bond is also celebrated every summer during the Nijmegen Marches — an annual, international military marching competition — at which the Netherlands' liberation by Canadian soldiers is warmly and gratefully remembered.

Quote:

The Merrickville Tulip Festival celebrates spring, tulips and Dutch culture in partnership with the Ottawa Canadian Tulip Festival as a “Friendship Tulip Site” and the Merrickville Lions Club. …..
With time, the significance of the Remembrance aspect seems to be fading.

Your thoughts?

Stuart
Old 13-04-19, 23:58

Default Merrickville historic military re-enactment from 2018

Merrickville historic military re-enactment in 2018. A nice short video clip of the Merrickville 2018 event. What are your thoughts? Does this sort of remembrance event add to, or detract from the concept spring, tulips and Dutch culture?

Ref: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdazB0ZhUUc

Stuart
Old 14-04-19, 04:52

Good question....good answer?

Stewart..... perhaps this could be a great opportunity for you to step forward and organize an event for those interested in attending. It would go a long long way to keep the significance of remembrance alive in that part of the province. I’m sure if you joined and even reached out to a certain provincial group or association of like minded people/similar interests, you might even get them to say it’s a sponsored event.

Thought?
C15A-wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
Dodge D23c, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 14-04-19, 14:15

Default Historic Military Vehicle and Reenactor events in Ottawa Valley Area 2019

Jordan, The Historic Military Vehicle and re-enactor community in the Ottawa Valley area are actually well organized, and have stood up to organize and participate in annual events such as the Canadian Tulip Festival; the Merrickville reenactment event; Gatineau air show; Carp air show; Canada Day in Merrkville/Kemptville ; Remembrance Day events; Diefenbunker events; Richmond Fair ; and many other events. In the past I have worked as a volunteer with the Canadian Tulip Festival, reenactment events with others for logistic duties. Festivals and other events will change over time, as new managers and directors come and go. The current version of the Canadian Tulip Festival has changed direction and they have chose to not have military re-enactments; parades; or static displays of the kind that have occurred in the past.

Those in the Ottawa region who have been involved with these things longer than me, say this has cycled up and down over the years, as the Canadian Tulip Festival management team (Board of Directors) changes.

My personal skills have been to participate/help at events such as Canada Day; Remembrance Day; Diefenbunker days; cruise rides; car shows; Iltis maintenance days; military radio displays (Canadian Tulip Festival); Odessa bivouac; etc. I also put out an e-mail postings to those in the Ottawa Valley region; Kingston; and Montreal to keep them informed of upcoming events.

These are all best described as non-aligned Historic Military Vehicle and re-enactment events.

Quote:

I’m sure if you joined and even reached out to a certain provincial group or association of like minded people/similar interests, you might even get them to say it’s a sponsored event.
I have reached out to "certain provincial group or association of like minded people/similar interests" several times at least since 2016 on this forum, and in personal e-mail to encourage them to develop a system to sponsor Historic Military Vehicle events, under the spirirt of the Historic Vehicle plates program of the province of Ontario. I believe it would be a win-win development for all of Ontario if it came about. If they need assistance in developing such a program, using regional representatives, such as used in BC, I would be willing to help.

This is a sample of the e-mail blast that I have put out in the Ottawa valley region for March/April 2019.

Eastern Ontario events of interest to the Historic Military Vehicle and military re-enactor community.

I will be organizing some local cruise nights this year, which will be mainly along the Rideau River and back country roads around the Ottawa Valley region. Those with running vehicles, or those who wish to be co-pilots, please consider coming out. More details to follow as they are organized. If there is interest, I can also organize some longer road cruise events on a Saturday or Sunday that would be several hours in length, taking back road routes (all paved routes) with scenic stops; a lunch stop and then a return loop back to Ottawa. Again, these are suitable for those with a vehicle, or those who just want to be a co-pilot/navigator.
Please let me know of any events, and I will help spread the word.

Diefenbunker: Dates to be determined. I contacted the Diefenbunker….
“Some potential upcoming dates that we would love to have you at if available are:
- Easter Saturday (April 20th)
- Doors Open Weekend (June 1st and/or 2nd)
- Father’s Day (June 16th)
- Canada Day (July 1st)* I know this year it falls on a Monday so if you are only available on weekends we are absolutely open to either the Saturday and/or Sunday of that weekend if that works better for you.
Looking forward to hearing from you! “
If anyone is interested in a day at the Diefenbunker, please contact me and I can arrange the date/times. This is a fun venue; great location; and a close spot for a cruise and brunch at one of the local eateries.

Saturday 27-April-2019 Ottawa Military Heritage Show. 08:30 – 14:30 h
Nepean Sportsplex 1701 Woodroff Ave.
Refer to attached handout for further details

Saturday 01-June-2019 Great Merrickville Arms Collectors & Militaria Show. 08:00 – 14:00 h
Main & Read Streets, Merrickville, ON
Refer to attached handout for further details.
IAW J. G., those with HMV can park outside and set up a table $20.00. Good place to sell off some of your excess green stuff from the basement.

Monday, 01-July-2019 Annual Canada Day Sword & Ploughshares cruise and parade(s). Annual favourite.
More details to follow.

Saturday 3-August-2019 Lombardy Fair
. HMV display by local collectors. This is a fun event, with great venue. Set up under shade trees, watch the fair; kiddie rides; agricultural displays; and relax with fellow collectors. The venue is perfect for those with young children/grand kids as there are amusement rides.
Lombardy Fair Grounds
More details to follow.

Sunday 11-August-2019 VolksFest Embrun. 6 Blais Street Embrun. This is a VW/Audi German car show which is a favorite with VW/Bombardier Iltis folks (Volks). Often VW/Audi parts are for sale. Last year I had my 1986 VW Vanagon Westfalia 2WD GL camper and 1986 Bombardier Iltis out for this event. Past years the Kettenkrad owners Club of Canada (Ottawa chapter) have attended. I find that the people who attend the various car shows are very interested in unique vehicles and spend extra time looking at the vehicles and asking questions.
Date and times to be confirmed.

Tuesday 13-August-2019 Aero Gatineau. Special visit by the RAF Red Arrows in Gatineau-Ottawa.
Details to be announced. Watch MLU for more details
Ref: http://aerogatineauottawa.com/

Saturday/Sunday 17/18-August-2019 Frontenac Military Vehicle Association Bivouac 2019. 09:00 – 16:00 daily.
Odessa Fairgrounds. Friday 16-August-2019 set-up of Historic Military Vehicles and re-enactors. Camping on site for participants.
Follow on http://mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29939

Friday/Saturday/Sunday 6-7-8- September-2019 Aero Gatineau
"CWC is pleased to be partnering with Aero Gatineau for this years NCR Airshow at the Gatineau Airport. Unlike other years, we are creating a multi day event, and Aero Gatineau have asked CWC to coordinate the "ground side" of the event.

We are attempting the biggest mass gathering of flyable Spitfires in recent memory as part of this show

Basics on this are as follows;

1) Dates. 6-7-8 Sept ( set up thurs. 5th )
2) We are looking for a 1940's theme, while post second war equipment on site happily welcomed, the 1940's is the primary concept
3) we have been given a great area on the east field for vehicle parking / encampment with great public access.
4) Re-enactment has been fully endorsed, and we will have a secure fenced area, with good public viewing, large enough for safe heavy weapons fire, and ground simulation.
5) Camping area is available in a treed area, and we are working on a portable shower system
6) Aero Gatineau to provide meals for participants, so we will ask for firm numbers by July so we can plan the logistics
7) the evening of the 6th will be a VIP and crew night with period music, bar tent service and a limited airshow

For the reenactment community, as we don't usually as a museum do this ( but will be providing a 1942 M3 Half Track and a functional Quad 50 for this event) , please consult with each of your community groups and present an ops / safety plan to us, this of course is an airport, an we have a few layers to run approvals of script through. I can provide field measurements if needed , but a reenactment has been fully endorsed by the "air side" Aero Gatineau

Please feel free to circulate the above, and any questions can be fired off to us here at CWC and we will get back to you promptly at

thecoldwarcollection@gmail.com

More details will be announced on MLU http://mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=29736

Saturday 19-Oct-2019 Ottawa Military Heritage Show. 08:30 – 14:30 h
Nepean Sportsplex 1701 Woodroff Ave.
Refer to attached handout for further details

Sunday 20-Oct-2019 Lyndhurst Gun & Militaria Show. 08:00 - 14:00 h
Lyndhurst Outdoor Education Centre

Saturday 26-October-2019 Lombardy Gun & Militaria Show. 08:00 – 14:00 h
Lombardy Fair Grounds

Please let me know of any events, and I will help spread the word. Also, please indicate your interest in participation in any HMV cruise night events. In the past, we had good turnouts for the static "Cruise Nights" in Ottawa. There is no excuse not to attend a few events over the summer. There is something for everyone.

Regards
Old 14-04-19, 15:01
Terry Warner

Great summarization Stuart!

For the record, the Cold War Collection (CWC) has a Quad Fifty but it is not "live 50 cals"; it is functional only as a gas firing quad! The principle and head curator are inventive and resourceful, but there are some lines not to be crossed. I have also been part of public events for VJ Day, for Peacekeepers' Day, and Army Run.

To my everlasting embarrassment (which I repeat as a lesson for others) - when driving a borrowed GPW, for example at a VJ Day event, remember that the handbrake is an umbrella handle affair up on the dash and not between the seats as might be expected. Disengage the handbrake before driving off, because the friction will start a fire with rear main oil seepage. Smoke and flames have a way of concentrating a person's attention!

74-????? M151A2 plated and on the road
70-08876 M38A1 ready for the road
53-71233 M100CDN trailer manufactured by MCI ready for the road

Wow! All three green beasties run!
Old 15-04-19, 01:57

Thanks Stuart for the info of local happenings, I appreciate your putting out a list of events and think doing so helps the hobby in a big way as "passage of information" seems to be a perpetual problem with various groups. For reasons I can never figure out I know more about what is happening in the MV community in UK/Europe or the US yet closer to home less so, weird but true. Anyways ignore the messenger shooters that are out there and keep posting info and updates.
Old 23-04-19, 19:01

Default Canadian Tulip Festival is hosting Veterans Day at Beechwood Cemetery

The Canadian Tulip Festival is celebrating the direct ties the Festival has to the Liberation of the Netherlands and the gifting of tulips to Canada as well as commemorating the 75th anniversary of the D-Day landings. To recognize these historic events, the Canadian Tulip Festival is hosting Veterans Day at Beechwood Cemetery, the National Military Cemetery.
This year’s event will be taking place:

When: Tuesday, May 14th 2019 at 11:00 AM
Where: Veterans Section (Section 27, near the Beechwood Tank)
280 Beechwood Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario

Veterans Day Ceremony will honour the service and sacrifice of all Canadian forces and Canadian and Allied Veterans. The Festival will also be naming its 2019 honourary Veterans for Navy, Army, and Air Force. We would like to extend an invitation to you to attend this unique commemoration.

Please let us know if you can attend this event. Please RSVP Kita Szpak at kita@tulipfestival.ca by Wednesday, May 1, 2019.

Ref: https://tulipfestival.ca/veterans-day-ceremony/

Attachment: Invitation

More details to follow, as available.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tulip Festival Veterans Day Ceremony 2019.pdf (418.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 16-05-19, 05:01

Default Beechwood Cemetery proud to host Canadian Tulip Festival ceremony honouring veterans

Update:
Beechwood Cemetery proud to host Canadian Tulip Festival ceremony honouring veterans.
Ref: https://ottawacitizen.com/sponsored/...uring-veterans