MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 19-03-03, 18:21
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Warning - Possible Fraud Artist

To all advertisers --

I have just been apprised of a possible fraud attempt by someone purporting to be a buyer of something advertised here. I suspect it's a low-level variation of the old Nigerian bank scam, and you are advised if contacted by anyone sounding remotely like this to avoid at all costs. The text of the last email (to which the recipient replied "Piss off!") is reproduced below, with our man's email address and the item description removed for privacy.

BTW, the first clue I had when I read a copy of the email interactions was the fellow's syntax in his description of the item... he copied and pasted the description from the ad header, complete with capital letters, and dropped it into the copy of his email(s) wherever you see my 'XXX'. It's likely he wouldn't know what the item really is even if it bit him on the bum (and how much damned WW2 Canadian stuff is in 'west africa' [sic]?).

Note his use of 'State, Country, Zipcode', ironic because is the first round of rather more innocent emails, he was given the city, province and country (Canada)... he never even noticed. This guy's used this before.

Note also his gawdawful spelling and syntax.

Here it is, be advised and use your own judgement:

----- Original Message -----
To: <Email Address Deleted by MLU>
Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 5:45 AM
Subject: CERTIFIED CASHIER CHECK SET TO GO

Hello,
Thanks for your mail,since you said the cost of your XXX is $250 i just contacted my client now and he said that there is no problem with the price.So my client will be issuing you a certified cashier check of $11,250 while you deduct your $250 for the XXX and wire the remaining $10,000 to my shipping company in west africa that will come for the pick up of the XXX at your location and he is aslo adding $1000 to the check which will be used for the cleaning of the XXX which will be done by you so that it will look new when my shippers come for the pick up ok.So you will be expecting a certified cashier check of $11,250 while you wire back $10,000 for the shippers and you keep the rest for the clean up and the cost of the XXX ok.The shipping money will be wired to my managing director in charge of my shipping company in west africa through western union as soon as the certified cashier check arrives to your location so that my shippers can immediately come for the pick ok.And also don't forget that the money which you will be wiring through western union to my managing director in charge of my shipping company in west africa immediately you get the check will be used for paying the shippers that will come to your location for the pick up of the XXX and this must be done fast so that my client can have the XXX on time ok.

So let me have your full contact information to where the certified cashier check will be sent to like this:

Name.........................

Full address.................

City.....................

State....................

Country.........................

Zipcode.........................

Cell/office/home telephone number........................................

Looking forward to the requested information so that the certified cashier check can be sent out to you immediately.

Best Regards,

Mark Perry...............
Old 19-03-03, 23:12
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Scam

As a recipient of at least 4 or more scam emails per day from our African friends I reckon this one has fraud written all over it.
My advice is to just delete any emails of that sort - never reply to them.
this site http://www.quatloos.com/brad-c/elvis.htm has some fun stuff where people have outscammed the scammers...

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern