MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > Your Relatives

Notices

Old 02-12-06, 04:38
48th Highlander

Default relatives

During my time overseas during the War Dec. 39 to Apr. 1945 I never met a single relative though there were a few in the service.
We were in a rest area preparing for the advance to the Gustave line when I decided to go hunting for some eggs. Having spotted an old 1921 motorcycle hidden in the back room of a barn. I decided that would be a great means of transportation having had a six months period in England as a dispatch rider and also give me a little chance for a joy ride. But, to my chagrin the owner came along and did not approve of my decision. After explaining to him that old Roman saying that possession was nine tenths of the law
The conversation ended. So off I went on my way putting along on that beat up old goat. Rolling down the dusty road I saw two forlorn guys from the Irish Regiment who waved me down and I nearly fell off my bike when I discovered, one of them was my cousin Roy Haight. They too were on a search but for Vino, not eggs.
Much later on as we moved up the coast near the Coriano Ridge I found out that we were side by side with the Irish Regiment. I hailed one of the guys from the unit and I asked him if he knew where Roy Haight was? He said I sure do. He said, see that ambulance going over the hill, Roy is in it, he just lost his foot and part of his fingers from a mortar strike. This is probably one shot in a million. Roy was a stretcher-bearer.

PS: My search yielded two eggs, which turned out to be a flop as I had stored them in an open pocket on top of the gas tank and they quickly fried themselves in the hot Italian sun.

Below is a photo of Roy’s homecoming with his wife and daughter.
From the local newspaper
Attached Images

Old 02-12-06, 05:03
Vets Dottir

Ahhhh ... just look at the awed way his little daughter is looking up at him. "Daddy's home!" Priceless, Norm!

I'm so glad he made it home!

Karmen
Old 02-12-06, 05:05
Vets Dottir

Default Re: relatives

Quote:
Originally posted by Norm Cromie
[B]After explaining to him that old Roman saying that possession was nine tenths of the law
The conversation ended. So off I went on my way putting along on that beat up old goat.
You really were a weren't you, Norm

Karmen.