MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 18-06-10, 05:38
carrier mech

Default Anybody seen this mod on an M38 Cdn before?

I recently picked up a pair of M38 Cdns; one for parts and the other is a runner. I was stripping down the parts one, which has a decent and mostly rust free body on it. There are a few holes and brackets that I am not used to. Does anyone recognize these?

First is this small grill on the side of the tool box. Another similar size hole is near the co-drivers feet, so possibly a duct ran through the box?

On the sides of the jeep there are three holes just behind the driver/co-driver. Anyone know what these were for?

There were also these 4 holes on the cowl. I believe they were for the receptacle that held the spare tire bracket when it was mounted on the hood, such as for a recoiless rifle jeep.

Lastly, there was this samall tray on the floor behind the driver. While it would appear to be about the size of the "case, spare valves" for a 19 set, the jeep does not have any of the usual holes in it to mount radios. The tops of the rear fenders are unmolested.

Any ideas what this jeep may have held for special equipment?
Old 18-06-10, 08:42

The holes in the tool box is for a heater, the 3 holes on the sides are for the winter hard top, the guess on about the cowl the spare tire carrier is correct. the last bracket could be a place for spare vacuum tubes kit for a 19 set maybe. That's my 2 cents and a guess.
Old 18-06-10, 13:04

Default M38 mods

Rob

I have an M38 with some of the same holes and mods as yours. It did not have the #19 set spares bracket, but has a bracket on inner body passenger side that was to hold a wireless related cable. Brian Asbury told us that the holes in the body meant the vehicle probably had a winter top and the tool box mods were for a gasoline fired cabin heater. Mine has the same cowling holes and they do appear too be in the shape of the spare tire carrier for the Recoiless Rifle, but no other holes in the body seem too indicate it was a RR jeep.

Gord
Old 18-06-10, 13:19
carrier mech

Thanks guys, those are the answers I was kind of suspecting. I am still not so sure about that bracket on the floor. There are no holes to suggest radio trays or antenna mounts.

The other jeep appears to have been a dual IKEE C42 jeep. The fenders still have some of the original brackets, and they are damaged from all the weight. There is body cracking, and some of the seams have seperated. It also has the front right fender ATU mount.
Old 18-06-10, 22:32

Default It's probably...

an ambulance jeep. The grilles are for the hot water heater and the three holes are where the front of the ambulance rack mounts.

Peter S