MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 30-10-12, 17:11

Default Tiger 1 back in US

The Aberdeen PG Tiger 1 tank has been moved to Fort Benning, Georgia ,according to reports. They are building a new museum there and vehicles from Aberdeen and Fort Knox ( Tiger II ) are being relocated there. The Wheatcroft people had started to dismantle it, so it was shipped in pieces, to be finish restored at Fort Benning http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123310200
Old 31-10-12, 04:52
Anthony Sewards

The Tiger 1 was taken apart for shipping once they realized that they coudn't ship it by air all in once piece, not due to the actions of Mr Wheatcroft. Mr Wheatcroft has completed a detailed study of this Tiger 1 in preperation to rebuild one from his collection from all the parts that he has collected over the last years. The Tiger has been on the ground for a few months now, waiting restoration.

Anthony
Old 31-10-12, 17:50

Default Tiger I

Thanks very much for the update
Old 31-10-12, 20:05
metal urgest

Is this the same Tiger I from APG that was to be sent to Germany about 15-20 years ago on a 100 year loan in exchange for a complete restoration? Do tell!!

Perry
Old 31-10-12, 21:04
Anthony Sewards

Default APG Tiger 1

This is the Tiger 1 from APG that has been in limbo for the last few years , due to some tie-ups in regards to shipping this beast back to the USA.Mr Wheatcroft ponied up most of the funds for the Tiger's safe return back home.

On the bright side, we will see a Tiger 1, and maybe see at least 1, if not 2 King Tigers built from parts that have been collected by Mr Wheatcroft in the near future.

There will be a new Tiger 1 book put out by the Research Squad, the same crew that put a Panther study book out.

Anthony
Old 01-11-12, 16:59

Default Tiger I

There is a lot of info on the net on this situation, and there was a book written " Tiger without a home" ,by Richard Cox , explaining it. According to the RAF and USAF it is the 48th Logistics Readiness Squadron which transported it

Last edited by Bob Cohoon; 01-11-12 at 17:11.
Old 02-11-12, 06:11

Default Tiger 1

Just thought I would add these interesting shots of the Tiger I "712" ,mostly from the Axis History Forum ( if I may ). They show a shot of the tank after arriving at Aberdeen in 1943, and a few pictures of it as arriving on the ship and on a barge afterwards, I think. I can see in the shipboard photo that the turret had a rear bin, but looks like it was smashed off a bit upwards on the front of the Mk. IV behind it, maybe by the loading crew. So, it had a turret bin, full width fenders, side mud guards and the air cleaning system on the back. Number is 2500031, I guess number 31 in production. It would be great if the people at Fort Benning could re-create those missing parts accurately, eh ?
Attached Thumbnails
apgh.jpg   tigerbarge7120001.jpg   tigerbargelgecrop.jpg  

Last edited by Bob Cohoon; 02-11-12 at 06:34.