MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > WW2 Military History & Equipment

Notices

Old 04-06-04, 15:04
Senior Forum Member

Question Re: Re: Off the Net

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Incidentally, the power of DELETE now resides here.

SUNRAY has left orders with SH. Sigs. Clerk since himself and McSpool are temporarily disconnected from Div.HQ. comms net.

R.
SH.SC.
Oh please, OH GREAT HOLDER OF THE DELETE KEY, do pray tell, by what route is our esteemed SUNRAY proceeding to Normandy, and also, if I may be so bold, where, pray tell, is the RV point for the link-up with our Dutch friend, call sign "McSPOOL" to be.
Old 04-06-04, 15:50
Senior Forum Member

Exclamation Re: Off the Net

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
SUNRAY is now NINER, en route.
NEWS FLASH........

This just in from the Winnipeg Free Press..... from earlier today, somewhere in the English Channel and, a little while later, from off the coast of Normandy........

NINER aboard his H.Q. Ship, H.M.C.S. SPINNING BALL, holding a last minute Orders Group with his subordinates

and

NINER "inbound" for the beaches of Normandy..............

Please stand by for further updates......................

Attached Thumbnails
niner normandy.jpg  
Old 04-06-04, 18:25
Commonwealth NOT Europe

LOL, nice one Mark!

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 04-06-04, 18:32
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Re: Off the Net

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Oh please, OH GREAT HOLDER OF THE DELETE KEY, do pray tell, by what route is our esteemed SUNRAY proceeding to Normandy, and also, if I may be so bold, where, pray tell, is the RV point for the link-up with our Dutch friend, call sign "McSPOOL" to be.
Ah, the GREAT DELETE KEY that lives in the magical land beyond EXPLORER to MOZILLA where the GRAND MAGICIAN of MLU, Sir Geoffery of Ball-Spinning had deposed a mighty and powerful spell that by dark alchemy makes I into HIM, and verily I tell you within the frightening portals of MOZILLA lies the mighty edifice of the CONTROL PANEL within which we find the repository of the GREAT DELETE KEY.

I am charged by the Grand Magician of MLU to use the powers of Control Panel with caution and only then for any despicable outpourings or the breaching of these hallowed pages by the wandering footpads and tinkers purveying cold canned meats.

SUNRAY Himself and the harmonic Sunray Minor cast off these shores from this sceptre'd Isle, a green and pleasant land for the continent of Europe at 15 minutes of 11 o'clock today whereby through the facilitations of the ferryman P&O they will fetch up on the distant shores at Cherbourg.

From here they will travel apace by the south and then east by the employment of Ford, Morris and Humber to Colleville sur Mer whereupon a meeting is expected with Baron McSpool from the land of Edam & Gouda and perchance around this very time indeed as defined by the great timekeeper of Greenwich.

Therein at Camping Robinson they will make their stay and take many forays to the surrounding fiefdoms to sample the land and history contained thereabouts.

R.
SH.SC.
Old 04-06-04, 18:34
Richard Notton

Default Re: Re: Off the Net

Quote:
NEWS FLASH........

NINER aboard his H.Q. Ship, H.M.C.S. SPINNING BALL, holding a last minute Orders Group with his subordinates

and

NINER "inbound" for the beaches of Normandy..............

Please stand by for further updates......................

Ooooooooooo, you cheeky monkey you. I do hope you have a serviceable cricket box ready for His return.

R.
SH.SC
Old 04-06-04, 18:55
Senior Forum Member

NEWS FLASH..........

This just in from the Winnipeg Free Press, where it is reported that.....

NINER HAS LANDED ON THE SHORES OF NORMANDY

......flim to follow at 11.......

Attached Images

Old 05-06-04, 00:12
Vets Dottir

Default Hmmm

Our Sunray DOES get around

FYI all who visits here in this thread. Our own Master Mark will be adding some very interesting posts presenting the "German Perspective" of the events related to this thread.

Go for it Mark.

Carman
Old 05-06-04, 02:11
Senior Forum Member

Exclamation

NEWS FLASH .......

This just in from the Winnipeg Free Press.......

After a long day of travelling and meeting and greeting the people of Normandy, NINER as finally found time to put his feet up and enjoy some quiet time, and remembering his recent time on the sceptre'd Isle, spent with the one whom he designated "KEEPER OF THE DELETE KEY", in his absence, cools off with a couple of his favourites...........BEER and WINE........

Please stay tuned for further updates.......
Attached Images

Old 05-06-04, 02:43
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: "German Perspective",

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
FYI all who visits here in this thread. Our own Master Mark will be adding some very interesting posts presenting the "German Perspective" of the events related to this thread.
It will be a day or so before I post anything regarding the "German Perspective", just have to get my notes in order.

Cheers
Old 05-06-04, 05:01
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: "German Perspective",

Quote:
It will be a day or so before I post anything regarding the "German Perspective", just have to get my notes in order.

Cheers
History thread back on track. Good to see. Am interested to see what the German side has said about these events. As ever, thanks Mark.

Carman
Old 05-06-04, 14:57
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Re: "German Perspective",

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
History thread back on track. Good to see. Am interested to see what the German side has said about these events. As ever, thanks Mark.

Carman
Sorry about the drift off track, but it needed some humour and something to make people laugh or at least smile for a few minutes anyways.

Cheers
Old 05-06-04, 15:18
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: "German Perspective",

Quote:
Sorry about the drift off track, but it needed some humour and something to make people laugh or at least smile for a few minutes anyways.

Cheers
Yes, it's a serious tone pretty much all through. Other than chase the girls whenever they had a chance, what did these guys do for fun while stationed overseas? Did they organize games and such? Sports? Pranks? (just curious )

Meanwhile ... back in the Sargeants Mess and Events categories ... pretty funny in there, specially lately.

Cheers
Old 05-06-04, 16:44
RIP

Default Niner hitting the beach!!

Been monitoring this thread & laughing like the devil Mark.When you state Niner landing in Cherbourg,I pictured that scene in the movie "The Longest Day"where Sean Connery,as he's coming out of the landing craft & yells "Flanagan is back ,you dirty b--t--ds"But in Niners case,the doors of the P&O ferry open,Niner hangs onto the ramp,staggers,then yells-"Bimmington Wall is back"then proceeds to start tossing empty beer & wine bottles,lately consumed on the landing craft(in his case,the ferry).Just picture it.
Old 05-06-04, 20:12
Richard Notton

Default Re: Niner hitting the beach!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
But in Niners case,the doors of the P&O ferry open,Niner hangs onto the ramp,staggers,then yells-"Bimmington Wall is back"then proceeds to start tossing empty beer & wine bottles,lately consumed on the landing craft(in his case,the ferry).Just picture it.
I can

R.
SH.SC
"Doorman"
Old 05-06-04, 21:35
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Better get him off quick before that LCT goes aground on the empties.

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 05-06-04, 22:13
Vets Dottir

Talking Talent

The MLU would be SO deprived without Mark's photo's and input, hey? The photos. Between him and Keith I can't believe where they take us all... and how! I love them. Carman
Old 05-06-04, 23:16
RIP

Default Beny-sur Mer ceremony this AM

Just to change the subject a little-Here I am this AM,having my Barley Soup(Molson Dry)with the Shadow golden retriever(Carmen's buddy)when what do I see.Stu Christie in a Bonnie Prince Charlie doublet,wearing the Air Force tarton,placing a wreath.He's my former Drum Major from the 306 Wing Air Force Pipe Band.The last time I saw him ,was him marching beside the Unknown Soldier's caisson in Ottawa a few years ago,again on TV.The irony is that he was merchant mariner during the war.Some guys have friends in high places.Go figure!!
Old 06-06-04, 00:53
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: Niner hitting the beach!!

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
I can

R.
SH.SC
"Doorman"
And you say I'm the one who's going to catch bloody hell when NINER returns.......hmm.......I didn't just say what you just said......
....but you know, now that I think of it, I can picture it to
Old 06-06-04, 02:10
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: June 5, 1944

Sixty years ago this evening, those here in Canada with loved ones serving overseas, had no idea that many of their loved ones serving in the R.C.N., or the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, or the 2nd Canadian Armoured Brigade, or the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion, or in the R.C.A.F., were approaching the coast of Normandy, or had already landed in Normandy, or were engaged in the skies over Normandy, in what was to become the beginning of the Liberation of North West Europe.

Some of those serving would not see the end of what they were about to embark on, while still others, to this day, carry the scars, both physically and emotionally of what they were about to embark on.

This thread was started by one among us here today, who simply wanted to know the story, of one of those, who Sixty years ago this evening, was about to take part in the beginning of that Liberation.

May they and their deeds never be forgotten.

Corporal R.E. Spencer
Rifleman E. Smith
Rifleman H.W. Tonner

Royal Winnipeg Rifles
Hosti Acie Nominati
June 1944

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 06-06-04 at 03:04.
Old 06-06-04, 02:57
Vets Dottir

Default Ah.

Mark. For someone who wanted to lighten things up, you sure know how to make a person cry Thank you for what you said to us ... AND...

Please ... can you tell us something about
Rifleman H. W. Tonner? If you'd like to?

Todays ceremonies focus on those who fell in Normandy ...for so many of us in here, this is very personal and family history, these men and women ... every "one" of the whole highlighted and appreciated. Missed. I'll bet there area lot of candles burning bright right now.

Carman
Old 07-06-04, 16:34
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Putot - the German view - 1

Putot - 8 Jun 44:

Source: Blood and Honor: The History of the 12th SS Panzer Division "Hilter Youth", 1943-1945, by Craig W.H. Luther, Ph.D., p. 157:

"The 2nd Battalion of the 26th Regiment had reached the battlefield too late to go forward together with the 1st; commanded by SS-Sturmbannfuhrer Bernhard Siebken, it attacked from its positions in and around le Mesnil-Patry shortly after dawn. Although hammered by enemy artillery and machine gun fire, the grenadiers of the 2nd Battalion pressed their assault with vigor, inflitrating into Putot-en-Bessin and taking many prisoners. Assisted by numerous snipers in Putot, the German infantry brought the defenders, the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, under steadily increasing pressure; by noon, more grenadiers had worked their way into the town and around the Canadian light machine gun posts and slit trenches, which were now under direct German artillery and mortar fire. By 1:30 pm, "A", "B" and "C" Companies of the Winnipegs were completed surrounded, with most of their automatic weapons knocked out and ammunition running low; immediate tank support was not available. The beleaguered companies attempted to pull back under cover of artifical smoke, but few men escaped to battalion headquarters, located due east of Putot, where the nearly intact "D" Company established a defensive position.

Having lost Putot the commander of the Canadian 7th Brigade, Brigadier H.W. Foster, set about to get it back. Foster, as soon as he became aware that things were going badly for the Winnipegs, had warned the commander of the 1st Battalion, The Canadian Scottish Regiment to be ready for action; at 8:30 pm, the battalion mounted a violent counterattack supported by a squadron of tanks from the 6th Armored Regiment and a portion of the Cameron Highlanders of Ottawa (medium machine guns). The assault went in behind a creeping barrage laid down by the 12th and 13th Field Regiments. The SS defenders resisted furiously, but were unable to maintain their positions in the face of a numerically superior opponent. Siebken's companies had already suffered heavy losses, and they lacked anti-tank weapons in sufficient numbers with which to contest the enemy armor. By 9:30 pm, Putot was once again in Canadian hands, the Germans having retired to the rail line on the southern fringe of the village. Later that night, Siebken pulled back his infantry an additional 200-300 yards to gain a more effective field of fire and dug in. The Canadian Scottish took over the defense of Putot, while the remnants of the Winnipegs were moved into brigade reserve."

on p. 160, it goes on to say:

"The Royal Winnipeg Rifles alone suffered 256 casualties, including 105 dead, in their unsuccessful defense of Putot."

in the notes at the bottom of the page, it states that:

"The losses of the 26th SS Panzer Grenadier Regiment - 2nd Battalion were - 19 dead, 58 wounded and 21 missing."
Old 07-06-04, 18:15
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Putot - the German view - 2

Putot - 8 Jun 44:

Source: The History of the 12. SS-Panzerdivision Hitlerjugend, by Hubert Meyer, p. 50 & 51:

"II./26, commanded by Sturmbannfuhrer Bernhard Siebken, assembled during the night 7/8 June in and around le Mesnil-Patry."

"The first attack objective of the Battalion was the village of Putot-en-Bessin, 1.5 km north of le Mesnil (measured from church to church). The battalion The Royal Winnipeg Rifles had prepared for defense at the southern edge of Putot and along the railroad line with three companies. D-Company was located immediately east of the village, where the battalion command post had been set up, as reserves.

At approximately 06:30 hours, a battle-ready scouting party of the II./26 experienced the first contact with the enemy A-Company when it tried to push into the village across the railroad embankment. It was thrown back. This indicated clearly that the enemy was ready to defend. The Battalion assembled for the attack with 7. Kompanie, led by Leutnant August Henne, on the right and 6. Kompanie on the left. No information can be given on the initial action of 5. Kompanie which was commanded by Obersturmfuhrer Karl Gotthard. 8. Kompanie (heavy) took up positions so that it could support the initial attack across the open terrain, to follow later. Details on the artillery support are not known. the self-propelled heavy infantry gun Kompanie was probably not yet ready to fire since it marched with the tracked vehicles of the III. Battalion which moved at a slower speed.

The body of II. Battalion arrived to late to attack before dawn together with I. Battalion. When Schmolke was briefed at the Battalion and received his attack orders he asked the commander when the start of the attack was to be. "Half an hour ago", Siebken replied"

"Obersturmfuhrer Schmolke reports on the development of the attack: "Our first attack objective was the railroad line Caen-Bayeux, our second was the road Caen-Bayeux. The attack carried quite well to the railroad line. My point platoon took a lot of prisoners. Because of the time pressure, I could not interrogate them myself. They were sent directly to the rear. An infantry platoon of the Panzer-Lehr-Division attacked together with us and put itself under my command. I also met a Hauptmann (capt.), a battery commander, who supported the attack with fire."

"Oberscharfuhrer Paul Dargel, commander of III. Zug of 6. Kompanie, remembers the further progress this way: "The first target was the railroad embankment. Heavy artillery and rifle fire greeted us from the embankment. My Zug had the sector to the left of the road and of the underpass. Our II. Zug was the first to reach the railroad embankment. During the second stage behind the embankment we took some prisoners who were moved to the battalion command post. At 15:00 hours we observed thick clouds of dust in front of the sector of the Panzer-Lehr-Division. They were probably approaching columns of enemy tanks. Since we had now pushed our way into the positions, the artillery fire stopped. Also, there was hardly any rifle fire from the enemy lines."

"Through the cooperation of all companies of the battalion, where the 7. Kompanie of Leutnant Henne had to do most of the fighting in town, the three Canadian companies "A", "B", and "C", were completely encircled in Putot in the early hours of the afternoon. They tried to withdraw under cover of artificial smoke when ammunition was running out. Only few men managed to make their way to "D" Company which was still fairly intact and had set up defensive positions to the east of the village. At 14:20 hours, the commander of the Winnipegs still believed he could master the situation with his own forces. In the course of the afternoon the 3rd Canadian Infantry Division received reports that the troops in the right sector had been cut off by enemy Panzers. This was a wrong impression. Very likely, the armored personnel carriers of the III./26 which had pushed into Brouay, had been mistaken for Panzers. An anti-tank gun of the III./26, in position near a railroad bridge east of Brouay, repeatedly fired on targets in Putot."

it goes on to state that:

"They had suffered 265 casualties, among them 105 dead" (RWR)

and:

"The II./26 of the"HJ" Division lost three NCOs and 16 men dead, one officer, eight NCOs and 49 men wounded, one officer and 20 men missing. Total losses of the Battalion were 98."

Last edited by Mark W. Tonner; 07-06-04 at 18:51.
Old 07-06-04, 18:50
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Putot - 8 Jun 44

Top: General map of area and showing the positions of "A", "B" and "C" Companies, Royal Winnipeg Rifles - Putot - 8 Jun 44

Bottom: picture of Putot - facing South - showing the Railway line and embankment.
Attached Thumbnails
putot.jpg  
Old 07-06-04, 19:16
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Putot - the German view - 3

Putot - 8 Jun 44:

Source: Grenadiers, by Kurt Meyer, P. 124:

"An attack by the II/26th Regiment from the direction of Le Mesnil and Patry, leads to the trapping and annihilation of three companies of the Royal Winnipeg Rifles in Putot en Bessin. The Canadian 9th Brigade orders the Canadian Scottish Regiment to counter-attack, pushing back the II/26th with heavy losses to a position just south of Putot. The III/26th stands ready to defend the railway embankment in Bronay."
Old 07-06-04, 21:15
Vets Dottir

Putot - 8 Jun 44:

Source: Grenadiers, by Kurt Meyer, P. 124:

"An attack by the II/26th Regiment from the
direction of Le Mesnil and Patry, leads to the
trapping and annihilation of three companies of the
Royal Winnipeg Rifles in Putot en Bessin.
-----------------------

Thanks for posting these Mark.

Carman
Old 07-06-04, 21:23
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Carman;

I will post in the next couple of days what I have regarding the murder of prisoners by units/members of the 12th SS Pz Div 'HJ'. This will include information on all of them, not just the ones from the Rifles.

Cheers
Excellent Mark. This thread is about all the POWS, not just my relatives and I see the soldiers as ONE ENTITY made up of the individual Soldiers, no matter who the men were, or who they served with. My own relative was the point of my original post because of my personal family history search, but they all stand out in my mind as equal value. When I focus on my Uncle ... all those men stand in my mind with him as individuals. I guess Uncle Eddie has become symbolic of all of them for me. They represent each other for how, when, and where they had their lives unjustifiably taken ... and why they were there to begin with.

To focus on one mans story ... was to learn he wasn't "just one". Everyday I come in here is like coming to school, and the teachers are great!

My education continues
Old 07-06-04, 21:23
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Putot - aftermath

Carman;

I will post in the next couple of days what I have regarding the murder of prisoners by units/members of the 12th SS Pz Div 'HJ'. This will include information on all of them, not just the ones from the Rifles.

Cheers
Old 07-06-04, 21:37
Senior Forum Member

Post Re: Putot - the German view - 4

Putot - 8 Jun 44:

Source: Steel Inferno, I SS Panzer Corps in Normandy, by Michael Reynolds, P. 74:

"SS Major Bernhard Siebken's 2nd SS Panzer-Grenadier Battalion did not arrive in time to coordinate its attack on Putot with that of the 1st Battalion on Norrey. Recall that it had to attack off the line of march; its leading platoons, also advancing across open ground, encountered the enemy as soon as they tried to cross the railway line south of the village at about 0630 hours. Lieutenant Colonel Meldram's Royal Winnipeg Rifles had three companies on the line of the railway and D Company and Battalion Headquarters just east of Putot. But Siebken's young soldiers fought with tenacity and by 1330 hours A, B and C Companies of the Winnipegs were surrounded and cut off. The unit War Diary complains that no supporting armour reached the Battalion. But reports that the right half of the Battalion had been 'sliced off by enemy armour' can be discounted. The only German 'armour' in the area were the 75mm equipped SPWs of the 3rd Battalion attacking Brouay on the right flank. The remnants of the three Winnipeg companies managed to get out of Putot under the cover of smoke and join their comrades of D Company to the east of the village; they had suffered appalling casualties - 256, of which 105 were dead."
Old 07-06-04, 21:40
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Excellent Mark. This thread is about all the POWS, not just my relatives and I see the soldiers as ONE ENTITY made up of the individual Soldiers, no matter who the men were, or who they served with. My own relative was the point of my original post because of my personal family history search, but they all stand out in my mind as equal value. When I focus on my Uncle ... all those men stand in my mind with him as individuals. I guess Uncle Eddie has become symbolic of all of them for me. They represent each other for how, when, and where they had their lives unjustifiably taken ... and why they were there to begin with.

To focus on one mans story ... was to learn he wasn't "just one". Everyday I come in here is like coming to school, and the teachers are great!

My education continues
Me a teacher....oh no ....time for a me thinks....

Cheers

P.S. - SCHOOL IS FINISHED FOR THE DAY.......
Old 07-06-04, 22:57
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Me a teacher....oh no ....time for a me thinks....

Cheers

P.S. - SCHOOL IS FINISHED FOR THE DAY.......
Careful what you teach, Teach. Could come back to bite yore wee heinie

Enjoy your