MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 03-11-17, 02:39

Default M38A1 vent tube

It has just come to my attention that many M38A1's have a vent tube from the valve cover to the oil fill tube. I do not have this on my 67 CDN2....what was this for and can the lack of this vent tube cause high oil consumption?

Thanks in advance,

les
Old 03-11-17, 03:50
carrier mech

For air to be drawn out, air has to be drawn in. Yes, you should have the vent line from the intake hose to the filler tube. Perhaps your jeep has a different vent from a CJ? Seems to me there used to be a tube hanging from the side pan on the CJs, and I think I recall seeing CJ valve covers with an inlet on them as well. It's been a lot of years since I dealt with the civilian engines mind you.
Old 06-11-17, 17:11

Default Vent Tube

Hi Rob....the only rubber tube going to the oil filler is from the upper fording valve between the air cleaner and the carb. The only other place where the engine may be venting is at the side valve cover to the PCV valve and lower fording valve both of which are still there but open....is this enough engine venting or do I have to find a valve cover with a vent hole and a oil filler with two vent holes?

Please let me know.....maybe the lack of a valve cover vent is what is causing the high oil consumption?

Regards,

les
Old 06-11-17, 18:40
carrier mech

The fording valves are to defeat the PCV system. The size of those tubes is all that is required.

By closing the two valves, you shut off the ventilation system thereby causing some level of crankcase pressure due to the normal blowby (and about 15,00 miles into the life of the engine, the abnormal blowby) of the pistons. This pressure, which may only be a few pounds, helps seal the engine from the ingress of water. Of course, it can also cause seals to blow should it be applied for too long a period of time when there is no need for it.

Personally, if you are not leaking oil, I would live with the problem. One possibility is that the rings have not yet set in on a freshly honed engine...it can be a few hundred miles up to a thousand miles before they fully seat, depending on the tolerances followed.

Another possibility is that the rings may not have their gaps spaced around the piston. I have opened up engines before where the OCD mechanic lined up all the spaces, which is a very rooky mistake.
Old 08-11-17, 05:03

Default Reply to venting

Hi Rob....again, thanks for replying to the venting/oil issue.

I was told that and as per jpeg dated pictures by the rebuilder that the build was completed in 2011....but the seller that I got it from bought it in 2015 from the builder....I am not sure what the builder did with it from 2012 to 2015....the first buyer only put 600 miles (1000kms) on the jeep as per the safety. I have since put on another 800 kms and still the oil consumption....maybe he did not hone the cylinders? The jeep was not meticulous by any means even though it was advertised as bolt to bolt restoration....it was re-built more for resale to somebody else so there compromises as I am finding out now.....if the oil consumption continuous I will live with it for a few years then rebuild.
Right now I will deal with other issues as fixing the front crank seal & cover gasket as there is a small leak there but the oil gets onto the belts and they spray the oil everywhere.

Next questions....is it easy to replace a master cylinder?....he replaced it too in the 2011 rebuild (not rusty at all) but its leaking at the rubber boot big time. Yes I do have the heat shield installed.

thanks,

les
Old 08-11-17, 05:34
carrier mech

Master cylinder isn't terrible, but it is a little tight working in that location. Remove the vent line (if it even still has one...most of them are long gone). Remove the banjo bolt at the back of the master cylinder (if memory serves the brake light switch is on the banjo bolt, so remove the wires from it before turning the bolt), then remove the two 3/8 bolts that go thru the master cylinder with a 9/16th wrench and you should be able to slide it away from the brake pedal. A ratchet wrench will be worth it's weight in gold for that last pair of bolts.

Leave the pushrod alone even though you may get a new one with the new master cylinder.

By this time you should be wearing a little brake fluid along with whatever crud the jeep has been into for the past decade. Put the new master in place in reverse order of removal, with the new boot attached to the rod. Check for freeplay at the pedal (you should have something....even a 1/4" will be enough, 1/2" will be ideal). Fill the master cylinder and bleed the brakes. While bleeding, or when the cylinder is empty, be careful not to bottom the brake pedal into the cylinder or you can damage the rubber cups.

If you have the vent line, great, reinstall it. If you don't, you cannot merely plug the vent hole. You can install a breather of some form, or your new master cylinder cap may be the type with the little vent holes built in. Not ideal if you ever want to drive through deep water, but OK for everyday use.

Master cylinders are cheap. Napa part no 2796 is a little pricey at 151.28 retail or 92.99 trade

however rock auto in the US has CENTRIC 13063003 for $38.13 CDN each.
Old 10-11-17, 02:50

Default Brake Master Cylinder

Hi Rob....thanks a million....sound fairly easy but messy.....I am assuming that brake fluid will puke out and empty all four lines. Also, are these master cylinders poorly built? As I mentioned in my paragraph the one I am replacing is not rusty (but pukes fluid out of the plunger side) at all and dude said that he replaced it during the rebuild in 2011 so there should be only about 2000 kms on the unit.

PS....I bought a replacement cylinder for about $70.00 CDN delivered from either Eriks Military or Walcks Jeeps.

Regards,

les