MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 02-12-05, 14:53

Default 19 set odd mount

Also just dug put a pair of mounting devices that look like they hold the wooden mount to either the table in the truck or the carrier. They have a bend on the back and a spring loaded fastner on the front. on the bottom of each are the top 1/2 remains of the rubber shock mount. Value? Anybody other than Mr. Loy need them???
Old 02-12-05, 15:35
T-16, C15A

Default Huh?

... and by "need" you mean what?

Stewart

2 weeks until the Inaugural Annual Meeting
Old 02-12-05, 19:06

Default Duh

For instance...If you recognized what they are they're yours.
That kind of need.
Old 02-12-05, 23:59
GM Fox I

Default I KNOW I KNOW!!

Peter, they are the 'quick release' shock mounts to fit a 19 set on a wooden board to the table in a wireless truck (anything from a HUW, to a 15cwt to a 60 cwt). The wooden carrier (a No.23) has tabs on all four corners for these rails.

Now, does that qualify as 'need'?
Old 03-12-05, 00:22

Default Thank you Thank you

A clear succinct description. BUT DO YOU "NEED" THEM????
Old 03-12-05, 00:51
GM Fox I

Default Naw...

I have a set. I'd only dangle them in front of Messr. Stewart Loy to make him jealous.

Anybody with designs on ever restoring a 15cwt Chev with a 2K1 (aluminium) house type wireless body should be chomping at bit for these.
Old 03-12-05, 01:00
T-16, C15A

Default You Mean Guys Like ...

Skagfeld?

I thought that he was a radio truck guy?

Or has the snow shut down the phone line to Owen Sound?

Jon?

Stewart
Old 03-12-05, 01:10
GM Fox I

Default Right!!

When communications resume to the snow-bound Skagfeld next June, he'll be some upset he missed these.

Peter, does my 'needful' explaination win these on behalf of Messr. Skagfeld? He may need a little something to cheer him up after spending the winter shoveling snow off his roof so it doesn't cave in.
Old 03-12-05, 01:20

Default My heart

is touched. For $20 my wallet could be touched. And I could give them to Mr. Loy who could then send photos to Jon all Winter until he screams. Fair Price???
Old 03-12-05, 01:21

Default I would love to see a pic...

of this mount, I think the HUW "Nipper" could use a couple of these. Cheers Rob
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 03-12-05, 03:40
GM Fox I

Default $20

$20 is a kind, saintly price. Stewart or I will gladly assist an old man (that'd be Skag) acquire that which will bring him everlasting joy.

'Nipper", as last configured, had an amplified 19 set which wouldn't need these mountings, unless 'Nipper' is being downsized???
Old 03-12-05, 05:48
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: $20

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Parker
$20 is a kind, saintly price. Stewart or I will gladly assist an old man (that'd be Skag) acquire that which will bring him everlasting joy.

'Nipper", as last configured, had an amplified 19 set which wouldn't need these mountings, unless 'Nipper' is being downsized???
OK, you guys...I want, NEED, these items. Still entertaining thought of doing FFW with 2J1 box, or going full resto with a "gin palace" box.

Peter, et al, see you 17 Dec ( depending on weather).
Old 03-12-05, 13:28
T-16, C15A

Default Re: Re: $20

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Still entertaining thought of doing FFW with 2J1 box, or going full resto with a "gin palace" box.

Jon,

I get first dibs on that canvas cover and those bows for my olde truck.

Did you ever get in touch with that fellow in Winterpeg who had such a box as you desire?

Stewart
Old 03-12-05, 13:38
MLU Administrator

Default Re: Re: $20

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Still entertaining thought of doing FFW with 2J1 box, or going full resto with a "gin palace" box.
Jon, I'd like to see the FFW setup in the GS box, should be the only one around.
If you fancy a gin palace box, I guess you're more interested in the gin than in the radios? In that case see For Sale Or Trade > C-15a Wire-3.

H.
Old 03-12-05, 15:26
GM Fox I

Default WIRE-3 vs. WIRE-5

A WIRE-3 is a Chev C15A with a 2C1 type body (ie. the box usually seen on GS trucks, but fitted with a wireless table at the front, racks for equipment, a chorehores and cover on the left cab running board and modifications to the canvas to allow for aerial mounts. From a distance, this truck would look like a regular 15cwt, making it less conspicuous than a radio van. This is what is usually called a 15cwt FFW (fitted for wireless).

A WIRE-5 is a Chev C15A with a 2K1 body. This is the aluminium house-type body that had the generators (1 12V Johnson and 1 120V Onan) mounted inside a fridge like compartment on the rear right, a table at the front and usually took a 19, amplified 19 or 52 set.

The guy out west had what looked like a 2C1/FFW box with all the trimmings but never got back with details. These would be nice because, as Hanno says, there aren't any of these out there.

This latest for sale wireless box would appear to be a 2K1 for a WIRE-5. Jon, if you ever wanted a gin palace (for other than the gin), get this body. There are many of us who would help, advise and assist in it's restoration. I have a soft spot for these as a WIRE-5 was my first ever CMP.
Old 04-12-05, 01:22
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: WIRE-3 vs. WIRE-5

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Parker
A WIRE-3 is a Chev C15A with a 2C1 type body (ie. the box usually seen on GS trucks, but fitted with a wireless table at the front, racks for equipment, a chorehores and cover on the left cab running board and modifications to the canvas to allow for aerial mounts. From a distance, this truck would look like a regular 15cwt, making it less conspicuous than a radio van. This is what is usually called a 15cwt FFW (fitted for wireless).

A WIRE-5 is a Chev C15A with a 2K1 body. This is the aluminium house-type body that had the generators (1 12V Johnson and 1 120V Onan) mounted inside a fridge like compartment on the rear right, a table at the front and usually took a 19, amplified 19 or 52 set.

The guy out west had what looked like a 2C1/FFW box with all the trimmings but never got back with details. These would be nice because, as Hanno says, there aren't any of these out there.

This latest for sale wireless box would appear to be a 2K1 for a WIRE-5. Jon, if you ever wanted a gin palace (for other than the gin), get this body. There are many of us who would help, advise and assist in it's restoration. I have a soft spot for these as a WIRE-5 was my first ever CMP.
Thanks, Stewart, Hanno, Bruce and Peter for your inputs/comments.

While I would dearly love to fit a 2K1 gin palace body onto my WIRE-5 cab, (and trade the 2J1 box), it doesn't look to be a feasible venture.

Given the cost of landing it here from Manitoba, and not having a proper shop for doing the work, plus a variation of vehicle height regarding my available storage space precludes pursuing this .

As has been mentioned, especially by Hanno and latterly by Sunray, kitting out my WIRE 5 as an FFW (even though the box isn't totally correct, nor is the cab) as a WIRE 3 looks like a project worthy of consideration since such a configuration would be rather singular.

...if only I could find some line drawings, dimensions, material lists, and on and on. (Thanks Hanno for your previously submitted pics of an FFW).

Labour of love...and many bucks!!!