MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 01-01-07, 21:53
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Oh, Dammit

Just heard from his wife that my friend Robert. C. Dick passed quietly in his sleep Dec 18... he was the author of CUTTHROATS, was a decorated Sherman Tanker in Leyte and Okinawa. I worked with him to develop his manuscript. I'm afraid I'm in tears at the moment. He was a wonderful man.

Buy his book. It is his legacy, and a unique story.
Old 01-01-07, 22:55
Vets Dottir

I'm so sorry to hear of what a blow you just had hearing this news Geoff. I'm glad you had what friendship and time you had with him and celebrate his life, his service and story, and your working together on his book, for when the shock eases. What an honour to have that, and how good to have these close memories with him and his company to enjoy. But first, you cry, I know.

Karmen
Old 01-01-07, 23:04
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Oh, Dammit

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Just heard from his wife that my friend Robert. C. Dick passed quietly in his sleep Dec 18... he was the author of CUTTHROATS, was a decorated Sherman Tanker in Leyte and Okinawa. I worked with him to develop his manuscript. I'm afraid I'm in tears at the moment. He was a wonderful man.

Buy his book. It is his legacy, and a unique story.
Bio...

Robert C. Dick was a Sherman tank driver with the U.S. Army’s 763rd Tank Battalion, attached to the 96th Infantry Division, which was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for courageous action during the Battle of Okinawa. Individually he received the Bronze Star with V device and the Purple Heart. After the war, he joined the fire department in Arcadia, California, and retired twenty-seven years later as fire chief. In 1985 he became a columnist for R/C Modeler magazine, the foremost publication for radio control enthusiasts. He lives in Cave Junction, Oregon.

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/d...18849&view=bio
Old 02-01-07, 02:57
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

My friend Bob was actually a tank commander in Okinawa and won a Silver Star by climbing out of his turret under fire to aid a wounded infantryman. He accomplished his mission, but was wounded in the act. He was always incredibly reticent to talk about it, but proud of the life he saved in doing so.