MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 20-08-09, 05:07
Lionel G. Evans

Default Chassis Number Location

Hello All,

Could I please have some clues as to where I might find the Chasis number on a 1940 Chevrolet truck 1.5 ton? Much appreciated.

Kind Regards
Lionel
Old 20-08-09, 08:28
Lionel G. Evans

Default Chassis Number & Wheelbase

Hello All,

I am starting to wonder about the capacity of my truck. I just measured the wheel base and it is 13 ft and 7 inches. Now according to my 1940 Shop Manual Chevrolet Maple Leaf and GMC trucks 4th edition Reproduced for use by the Australian Commonwealth Military Forces printed October 1942 and assuming the following:

Wheel base is measured from centre of front axle to centre of rear axle I am in the range of:
133 3/4 - 157 3/4
175 3/4
This means 13 ft 7 inches is equal to 163 inches according to the chart in the book my truck comes out to a 2.5 ton truck. Also the same dimensions for a 3 ton truck too just to make things interesting!

Have I got how to measure the wheel base wrong?

Because it means someone took off the compliance plate off the fire wall of my truck and stuck a smaller capacity plate loose in the glovebox for people like me to find and read. Because the plate I found in the glovebox says Chassis maiximum weight in pounds is 3400 and Gross Weight 11500 pounds

Kind Regards
Lionel
Old 20-08-09, 09:37
former Resident Historian

Default Chassis number

Imported Canadian trucks had the data on one plate on the firewall, whereas Holden-assembled sometimes used the GM of Canada plate (a blank) which they stamped and added under the hood: possibly on the firewall as well There might also be a Holden's plate as well..not sure where on military trucks but sometimes located on a wheel well.
Old 20-08-09, 11:16
Lionel G. Evans

Default Chassis Number

G'day Dave,

Thanks for the information - I was hoping that somewhere on the Chassis there were actually stamped numbers which were then reproduced on the firewall plate.

Kind Regards
Lionel
Old 20-08-09, 11:22

Default Chassis #

I was reserving my comments about that! It is possible that Holdens did stamp the number on the frame, when assembled. Future locations (by the American plants) suggest it was stamped on the chassis on the 'risers'. It may need a good look with a dentist's mirror and something to clean off grime...but perhaps someone in Oz can suggest if you are barking up a gumtree on this one?
Old 20-08-09, 11:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionelgee View Post
Hello All,

I am starting to wonder about the capacity of my truck. I just measured the wheel base and it is 13 ft and 7 inches. Now according to my 1940 Shop Manual Chevrolet Maple Leaf and GMC trucks 4th edition Reproduced for use by the Australian Commonwealth Military Forces printed October 1942 and assuming the following:

Wheel base is measured from centre of front axle to centre of rear axle I am in the range of:
133 3/4 - 157 3/4
175 3/4
This means 13 ft 7 inches is equal to 163 inches according to the chart in the book my truck comes out to a 2.5 ton truck. Also the same dimensions for a 3 ton truck too just to make things interesting!

Have I got how to measure the wheel base wrong?

Kind Regards
Lionel
Again how did you determine for sure it is a Maple Leaf Chev and not a standard Chev?

my Chev (either Maple Leaf or Standard Chev) lists don't have a 163 inch wheelbase model for Chevs and my guess is you measured it with a tape measure that had a dip in the middle. If your wheelbase is 158.5 inches then you have a 30cwt model WB Chev rather then a 30 cwt Model WA Chev with 133 inch wheelbase. These were often rated at 3 ton or 60cwt especially with dual rear wheels fitted. For Maple Leaf the 2 ton 1500 series had 133 inch and 158.5 inch wheel bases and the 2.5 ton 1600 series had 133.75 inch, 157.75 inch and 175.75 inch wheelbases.

If your truck is on flat ground then using a builders spirt level level down to the ground and mark the centre of the front and rear axles. Then measure between the two marks with the tape stretched out along the ground. This reduces the dip thus making the measuring more accurate.

You also must understand that civilian operators of this trucks often up rated them to carry more then specified plus military load weights are often different to Civilian load ratings. For example the GMC-CCKW 6 X 6 was rated at 2.5 ton by the military but accually had a 5 ton load rating if used on the road.

Sorry I have no idea where on the chassis you might find a serial number but I hope this helps at least.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"

Last edited by cliff; 20-08-09 at 11:29.
Old 20-08-09, 15:00
Lionel G. Evans

Default Wheelbase

G'day Cliff,

Thanks for the information.

It seems again that something which I thought would be straight forward to identify on my truck are a lot harder to do than I expected.

Kind Regards
Lionel
Old 20-08-09, 15:03
Lionel G. Evans

Default Risers

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Hayward View Post
I was reserving my comments about that! It is possible that Holdens did stamp the number on the frame, when assembled. Future locations (by the American plants) suggest it was stamped on the chassis on the 'risers'. It may need a good look with a dentist's mirror and something to clean off grime...but perhaps someone in Oz can suggest if you are barking up a gumtree on this one?

G'day David,

Thanks for your informatiion, I appreciate it. Could you give me some hint where the "risers" would be on a truck as I am not familiar with the term?

Kind Regards
Lionel
Old 22-08-09, 10:20

Default Risers

You might try the highest poitns of the frame.

I have a complete list of all 1940 Chev/ML and GMC Canadian models if required by chassis length.