MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 20-03-07, 11:35

Default Diamond T model numbers

As far as i know (correct me please) the first Diamond T delivered to US Army during WW II was the Diamond T 967 (1940/41) (except those "civilian" models delivered).
But also the Diamond T 980 (and 981) was delivered very early in 1940/41 (to the Commonwhealt only?).
Then there is all those others, like 967, 968, 968A, 968B, 969 (wrecker), 972 (dump) and 975 (A) (the long one)
Were there any system in the seequence of those numbers?
Did the numbers follow the delivery seequence?
And when were the first ones of each model delivered?
Anyone having a list of serialnumbers/delivery dates?
Any kind of info most welcome!

Any place sheeding some more light on this?

Chers

Rolf
Old 21-03-07, 10:23
former Resident Historian

Default Model Numbers

My BRANHAM'S book from 1943 shows all the DT models for the civilian market up to 1942-3 and it seems that they had a huge range of models with allocated model numbers. The higher the first digit the heavier the truck. I should imagine that the "9" series was for the heaviest range, perhaps initially military orders, and then the rest were allocated as project numbers to the design office. I would however be inyterested to know if anyone else has an answer.
Old 21-03-07, 18:18

Default 980/981

David wouldn't you think that the 12 ton range 980/981 would have their own "modelnumberrange"? Or do you think it was a "militarynumberrange" starting of with "9"?

Rolf
Old 21-03-07, 19:21

Default Diamond T

My book suggests that the 9XX series was by 1940 the heaviest (weight) line. I can imagine that the military trucks were placed in that series as they were the biggest designs, and then the next two numbers represented allocate Drawing Office model numbers. As you know GM of Canada assigned the "8" prefix before the number of wheels, and then body style because it was not used..."2" was Pontiac for instance, and "9" GMC. In fact "8" was not used until 1962ish when GM of Canada produced their Acadian series based on Chevrolet running gear with Pontiac style trim for Pontiac dealers.

To recap:
842X = CMP 4 x 2
844X = CMP 4 x 4
86[60]= CMP 6 x 6

I see no reason why Diamond T did not allocate specific military model series likewise.
Old 22-03-07, 00:56

David

I follow you on your thoughts..

I agree the "9" would be the class of the vehicle (including the 980/981)
I am also pretty sure the prefiks A and B represent the Year, i.e. those without any prefix is 1940/41 models, those with A is 1942 models and B is for 1943 and onward models.
But then the second diggit....
It can not be for the wheelbase, nor the number of axles. Not even the wight limited on the payload allowed.
I'll try to explain my toughts;
Wheelbase: the 967, 968(A)(B), 969(A)(B) and 972 have all the same wheel base. And 970(A) and 972 have also different wheelbase.
Number of axles: Why then different second diggit?
Payload: Also why different diggits.
Bodytypes: Well can't be that either. 968 and 969 is the cargo and the wrecker so they have for sure differrent bodies....

So as more I am thinking on this, the more I.. or less I understand.

Any good ideas?
I am sure someone out there knows this and could sheed some lights on it. And also guess it is obvious when explaind to me :-)
Old 22-03-07, 01:29

Default Branham's

My little book gives all the civilian models and some have various suffixes after the model number, and different capacities for each variant. I suggest that A and B are derivatives...not as with GMC Model Year introductions. I believe that these model numbers are allocated engineering / design model numbers per each contarct and were allocated in sequence. Nothing more nor less. I have Chrysler's US and Canadian Government orders and if I recall correctly there is some correlation between military and civilian models, and in some case none at all. Now I think about it there is no correlation between the 1935-on civilian GM of C model designation series and the 1940-4 CMP system! There is however some association between Ford CMPs and civilian models and considerable association between Ford MCP and civilian models.

I suggest that there is no system involved with Diamond T... contracts placed resulted in the next project or model number being allocated in sequence according to chronological order. Though I may well be wrong!!!!