MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Parts/Sources/Prices

Notices

Old 22-03-16, 23:24
Ian Williams

Default F15A Brake Wheel Cylinder Size

Hi,
So as to have a definitive thread can someone please list the wheel cylinder sizes in this thread.
Happy to have all truck sizes.
I have not pulled mine apart and have LOST my notes about sizes and suppliers.
That might make it a lot easier in the future.

Ian.

F15A,
2x Army Land Rover 88' sIIA's
GPW
Other stuff
Old 22-03-16, 23:49
carrier mech

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1814

WC4511 front 1-3/8
WC4571 rear 1-1/2

Master Cylinder (FORD) MC4572

The above numbers are Raybestos, but will cross over several other manufacturers.
Old 22-03-16, 23:57
MLU Administrator

See http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...039#post123039

HTH,
Hanno
Old 23-03-16, 01:38
Ian Williams

Thanks fellas,

That's a start. I'm thinking that there's a few alternatives here in Oz. I will have to explore the possibilities.

Ian

F15A,
GPW
Other stuff
Old 23-03-16, 08:46
VMVC

Default F15A Wheel cylinder sizes

Hi Ian,

The following thread may be useful to you.

Of note in the thread is the potential problems with Spanish wheel cylinder cups.

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=24229]

Cheers,

Jacques Reed
Old 17-04-17, 02:38
Ian Williams

Default No Size just numbers

So I am asking if they are 1" DIA or 1.5" or perhaps 1-3/4" Diameter of the slave pistons/cups?

Understand part numbers, but if I can get a definitive size then I may be able to help everyone here out. Sorry I can't pull mine off at the moment as I have another vehicle in front of it.

I think that they may be shared with several Ford trucks but I have to have a size.

Cheers,

Ian

F15A,
GPW
Other stuff
Old 17-04-17, 03:16
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

As Rob Love has stated above, the front are 1 3/8", the rear 1 1/2", same on all CMP Ford and Chev 4x4s from 15cwt up to 60cwt (Note: Chev CMPs use the same Ford brake components in the wheels!). FGT and 60cwt also have brake boosters.

Smaller vehicles (F8, C8, C8A, C8AX, F15, C15) tend not to be standardised and are a mix of civvy truck components.
Old 17-04-17, 08:24
Ian Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
As Rob Love has stated above, the front are 1 3/8", the rear 1 1/2", same on all CMP Ford and Chev 4x4s from 15cwt up to 60cwt (Note: Chev CMPs use the same Ford brake components in the wheels!). FGT and 60cwt also have brake boosters.

Smaller vehicles (F8, C8, C8A, C8AX, F15, C15) tend not to be standardised and are a mix of civvy truck components.
AH HAA, Thankyou Tony. Well 1 1/2" Is easy enough to get. Happy with that. Inch & 3/8" a little trickier.

Cheers,

Ian

F15A,
GPW
Other stuff
Old 17-04-17, 12:03
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth65pac View Post
AH HAA, Thankyou Tony. Well 1 1/2" Is easy enough to get. Happy with that. Inch & 3/8" a little trickier.
Ian, if you go back up and follow the links to the information provided, you will find most if not all data you need. Please bear in mind it isn't only the piston bore size which matters, but also the dimensions and shape of the cylinders which have to fit the brake backing plate.

HTH,
Hanno
Old 18-04-17, 09:46
Ian Williams

"Ian, if you go back up and follow the links to the information provided, you will find most if not all data you need. Please bear in mind it isn't only the piston bore size which matters, but also the dimensions and shape of the cylinders which have to fit the brake backing plate."

Thanks Hanno,

Well I am exploring the possibility of shifting to modern alternatives and the backing plate can be easily modified to fit a wheel cylinder. i.e. welded up and re-drilled if need be. I am then not restricted by the shape or fittings as these are the main issues with remaining in current configuration. It is very restrictive and an alternative may be possible.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I have a ways to go before I hit this part of the restoration.

Cheers,

Ian

F15A,
GPW
Other stuff
Old 22-04-17, 19:04
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Well I am exploring the possibility of shifting to modern alternatives and the backing plate can be easily modified to fit a wheel cylinder. i.e. welded up and re-drilled if need be. I am then not restricted by the shape or fittings as these are the main issues with remaining in current configuration. It is very restrictive and an alternative may be possible.
O.k., I understand what you are saying. But surely brake cylinders which fit are available in your part of the world? Either re-sleeved originals, NOS, or newly made ones as listed earlier on?

Anyway, let us know what you come up with!

Cheers,
Hanno
Old 23-04-17, 10:27
Ian Williams

Default Back on track

Thanks Hanno,

Yes you're right about sources, but I'm going to see what's out there as delivery from O/S can be rather expensive.

At least I can focus on the truck now after eternity of it sitting and patiently waiting for me to start. Well ten years!

Those who know me know I am no slouch on restorations. Though a sidevalve V8 and a separate transfer case has me slightly wary.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/s...psm1bxu5t0.jpg

Ian

F15A,
GPW
Other stuff
Old 24-04-17, 07:35
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Thanks Hanno,

Yes you're right about sources, but I'm going to see what's out there as delivery from O/S can be rather expensive.

Ian
As has been stated above, there have been many threads about these wheel cylinders before, and they are readily available, with cheap postage. For example: Rear Cylinder and Front Cylinder. Like you, I live in a regional area, and I can't drive to Sydney and back for that postage cost, and my local brake parts supplier (ie small/rural, only sells one of those every 10 years) can't match that total price.

As for modifying your backing plate to accept a modern replacement. I would only consider doing that if original design parts were completely unobtainable from any source. I have worked on vehicles that have had components sourced from a mish-mash of other sources, and there is nothing worse.

Have some consideration for the restorer who is going to be working on your vehicle in 25 years time as he (or she) tries to work out what exactly they have before him, and then tries to put together a 3 Tonne Iveco brake shoe with a Case-IH wheel cylinder filled with Isuzu Van cups and 90-97 Landcruiser boots and metric pipe unions on a 1/4" brake line. You really don't appreciate the accursed devilry involved until you encounter it (of course, on a Saturday after all the shops have closed! ). Consider too, that what you choose today as a modern replacement may not be widely available in the future, while the vintage original still will be.

The original parts are available and reasonably cheaply, and everyone else will know what parts are on the vehicle and where to get them.
Old 24-04-17, 08:18
Bluebell

Ian, I'm with Tony. It'll probably cost you less to buy your cylinders and get them in your hands than to fill the truck with gas when it's finished.
That's something you'll do more than once.

Carrier Armoured O.P. No1 Mk3 W. T84991
Carrier Bren No2.Mk.I. NewZealand Railways. NZR.6.
Dodge WC55. 37mm Gun Motor Carriage M6
Jeep Mb #135668
So many questions....
Old 24-04-17, 10:24
Ian Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
As has been stated above, there have been many threads about these wheel cylinders before, and they are readily available, with cheap postage. For example: Rear Cylinder and Front Cylinder. Like you, I live in a regional area, and I can't drive to Sydney and back for that postage cost, and my local brake parts supplier (ie small/rural, only sells one of those every 10 years) can't match that total price.

As for modifying your backing plate to accept a modern replacement. I would only consider doing that if original design parts were completely unobtainable from any source. I have worked on vehicles that have had components sourced from a mish-mash of other sources, and there is nothing worse.

Have some consideration for the restorer who is going to be working on your vehicle in 25 years time as he (or she) tries to work out what exactly they have before him, and then tries to put together a 3 Tonne Iveco brake shoe with a Case-IH wheel cylinder filled with Isuzu Van cups and 90-97 Landcruiser boots and metric pipe unions on a 1/4" brake line. You really don't appreciate the accursed devilry involved until you encounter it (of course, on a Saturday after all the shops have closed! ). Consider too, that what you choose today as a modern replacement may not be widely available in the future, while the vintage original still will be.

The original parts are available and reasonably cheaply, and everyone else will know what parts are on the vehicle and where to get them.

Thanks Tony. Now THOSE look like a decent price. Trouble for me is I am searching for parts that people haven't identified clearly. One pet hate I have is paying for the wrong parts that people think are correct or good enough.

I am on the edge of my chair when I order parts for my F15A as the threads on here are hard to follow and search.

The good thing out of this is we have some good part numbers and suppliers. (what I really wanted) And I really am a stickler for brakes. Owning Land Rovers I know how hard they are to get 'right' and work well.
Cheers,

Ian

F15A,
GPW
Other stuff