MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 23-07-11, 06:08
carrier mech

Default 1958 Ford C500 Army Fire Service Truck

I took a drive about 3 miles from me today and had a look at an old army fire truck for sale at a vintage auto yard. It was the ugliest thing I have ever seen (even uglier than a cab 11 IMHO) and I just fell in love with it. It is a 1956-58 Ford C500 Marmon Harrington 4wd conversion with a King fire body on the back. It was one of 11 produced for the Cdn Army as a field fire truck. The front axle was removed, the engine is stuck, likely the tranny too, and there are a few dents on the front body, but otherwise rust free. I had to have it. I went home and got the better half, who I had expected to talk me out of it, but all she did was get me to barter a lower price than I would have gone. It worked, and the truck will be delivered tomorrow.

The unit signs are still visible. It is marked 12 coy, and I don't know if that was here in Shilo or from Saskatchewan. It has the remnants of a prairie command decal as well, along with the CFR on the hood. If anyone knows who 12 coy was, or has any further info on these trucks, please chime in.

I got the following off a Cdn firetrucks website:
Canadian Army Ford C500 Range tender 1958
One of 11 delivered to Halifax (NS), 2 to Gagetown (NB), Valcartier (QC), Kingston (ON), Picton (ON), Petawawa (ON), Shilo (MB), Regina (SK), Calgary (AB) and Wainwright (AB)

A quick internet check shows that Prince Edward county in Ontario has one of these as a parade truck. Hopefully I can get some shots of theirs to determine what is correct.

Here are a couple shots of it from the dealer's website. I'll try and get more shots of it tomorrow or Sunday, especially of the markings. I have already been on ebay to check about a siren (after all isn't that more important than a running engine, brakes or even a seat??).
Attached Thumbnails
ref706front.jpg   ref706rear.jpg   ref706side.jpg  
Old 23-07-11, 07:11

what a beautiful old girl! Hope the front axle will not be a problem to get a replacement for.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 23-07-11, 10:17

Ugly as sin, gotta love it!
Looks like a great project, certainly stand out in a crowd.
Best of luck with it.
Rich.
Old 23-07-11, 12:09
HUP guy

Default Nice truck

Rich called it right when he said "ugly as sin", but what a nice truck. Go for it Rob.

I would think several of those survive today. I do remember seeing a complete one advertised in the last few years but don't recall its location.

Brian
Old 23-07-11, 13:20

Default some pics

attached are two in service pics, which may have come from the canadian military fire fighter's website? the line drawing is from the 1957 cdn army census manual.
Attached Thumbnails
fire truck.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 23-07-11, 14:00
aut viam inveniam aut fac

wow that is soooo cool Rob.. the uglier they are, the more beautiful they are!
she finally will have a good home in your hands!
Who are where in PE county is the parade truck..I may be able to get photos for you in aug or sept.
What particular area (s) on the truck would you like photos of?
Old 23-07-11, 15:35
carrier mech

Great photos, thanks Mike.

Marc: Apparently the truck is used in parades by the Bloomfield fire department.

Starting to sober up now, and thinking "what have I done".
Old 23-07-11, 15:44

Dear Rob,

first off as you might now my interests are post WW2 so this fits in nicely.

It is as other have said such an ugly duckling its beautiful.

If Marc Montgomery doesnt go over to the "County", I will for you, both he and I have reasons to be there.

Just for your info Rob, There does not seem to be any examples of the six wheel drive Salamander based on the Stalwart derived fire fighting platform. There were quite a number in RCAF service but have all been scrapped it would appear.

Lovely project potential there, good luck

Robin
Old 25-08-11, 21:31
carrier mech

I won the bidding for a siren on ebay. Thanks to Mike's photos I ID'd it as a Federal sign and signal siren and managed to get a model very close to the original.

If someone does manage to get me some photos of the one in Bloomfield, I would especially like some photos of the front axle along with the general stowage of equipment.

I get home in less than a month, so I should be able to get the siren installed, put on a firemans hat, and eat my bowl of cornflakes in the drivers seats in the mornings while sounding off the siren.

We truly are just kids with big toys.
Old 25-08-11, 22:05
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default '58 Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
I won the bidding for a siren on ebay. Thanks to Mike's photos I ID'd it as a Federal sign and signal siren and managed to get a model very close to the original.

If someone does manage to get me some photos of the one in Bloomfield, I would especially like some photos of the front axle along with the general stowage of equipment.

I get home in less than a month, so I should be able to get the siren installed, put on a firemans hat, and eat my bowl of cornflakes in the drivers seats in the mornings while sounding off the siren.

We truly are just kids with big toys.
Rob
here is your F-600 4X4..
What a beaut but at least you can see the front axle..

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=614698

And you will see tons of pix here at firetrucks at war..

http://www.firetrucks-atwar.com/af.html

And Chucks Trucks advertises used MH 4x4 truck parts..you find parts on the web somewhere..
http://www.chuckstrucksllc.com/startframe.htm

Hurry up and get home..I missed you the last time at Gracies..You need an encore..
Stay safe.
Old 26-08-11, 05:14

Always the ugliest for last pick... but turns into ...a Canada Goose! She's not a Swan but still...gota love it!
Old 19-10-11, 01:51
carrier mech

About 3 weeks ago the wife gets a call from someone telling her that there is a military jeep advertised on the local internet classifieds. While she was searching for the ad she found an ad next to it from a small town who were inviting sealed tenders for their old 1956 town firetruck. They did not list the model but as soon as I saw the serial number in the ad I was certain that it was a C500 as well. To save myself a trip, I google earthed the town of hartney and after a virtual tour of the town I found the firehall. Sure enough, in the background was a short wheelbase C500 with many features just like mine.

So an hour or so drive and I checked it out in person. It had not been run in two years (amazing that a town would still be using a 53 year old fire truck) but the engine turned over OK. After appraising the vehicle, I left a bid and waited.

Like a kid at Christmas, I called the town office the day after the long weekend to see how much it went for. The lady informed me that no decision had been made yet as it had to go before the town council, which sat that night. I heard nothing the next day so I called around 3 PM and again asked what it sold for. When she told me, I mentioned it was a coincidence that my bid was exactly that. She informed me at that point that I had won the bidding, and there had been some other bids that were close so that made me feel good.

Today I fired up the old 5/4 ton and hooked up the trailer for the drive. I stopped in at the town office, paid for my purchase, and headed over behind the firehall to pick it up. The guys at the town workshop had the key for it, along with the original owner's manual. The fellow mentioned that the truck was mostly being used to water trees at the golf course, or for cleaning out the culverts in the spring. An hour or so later I was back on the grid roads home.

Anyway, here is my parts truck in all her splendor. The plan is to take the body and tank off this chassis, and transfer the DND one over. I'll salvage the fenders and grill from the new truck. along with the control panel and gas tank. The military truck used a wajax mk1 portable firepump to draw and pump water. This truck has a frame mounted pump. I may stick with this pump until I can find a working wajax pump.

Anyway, enough of my long winded story....here are the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
2009_1220newfiretruck0007.JPG   2009_1220newfiretruck0002.JPG   2009_1220newfiretruck0001.JPG   2009_1220newfiretruck0003.JPG  
Old 19-10-11, 02:23
carrier mech

Oooops, forgot to mention, I found the first fireman's hat for the truck too. It's a black one...need to find a white one for the chief (the wife).

Also found the proper pick axe heads that go on the back of the truck....two were required. Then I figured out that the other brackets are for shovels, and sure enough the shovel off a WW2 vehicle fit right in. Also figured out that each bracket holds 3 shovels, so that means 6 in total. I only have two presently, and one of those is destined for the Bren carrier.

Photos to follow of these items.
Old 19-10-11, 12:59
aut viam inveniam aut fac

serendipity...the gods of old trucks smiled on this old worker and decided its time had not come for a trip to the japanese smelter (to be turned into toyotas) and directed it into your hands knowing that it would recieve tender and loving care and restored to health in the expert hands of Dr Rob
Old 24-03-14, 02:07
carrier mech

This is a bit of an old thread, and I really don't have much to update on it, but a fellow with a strong interest in this pattern of truck from the US wanted me to ask if anyone else knows of any that are still in existence. There were 11 of them built, and we know for sure of two of them (mine and the one in PE county in Ontario). Brian thought he may have seen one sold in the past. So does anyone else have any leads on another of these trucks? Mark has an interest in mine, but I'm not quite ready to let it go.

Mark has offered a finders fee for any solid leads.

By the way, I finally got to the Shilo Firehall this summer, and had a look through their photo albums. Sure enough there was a nice photo of one of these trucks in service here in the 70s, but the CFR was one digit out from this one. My theory is the one from Regina came to here, and was operated by the militia during the summers as evidenced by the prairie command decals on the truck.
Old 24-03-14, 08:25
RC Sigs

I remember playing on an open cab model in Pet back in the 60s. I think I have some pics. Will look when I get back to Canada.
M-37 52-30890
M-220 CDN 53-
Iltis 85-87789
LSVW Trailer 2910-1210
M-100 CDN
M-101 CDN2
Chev 5/4 76-
OMVA MVPA AVMQ CAFA CAFL
Old 24-03-14, 17:18
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob love View Post
This is a bit of an old thread, and I really don't have much to update on it, but a fellow with a strong interest in this pattern of truck from the US wanted me to ask if anyone else knows of any that are still in existence. ... So does anyone else have any leads on another of these trucks? Mark has an interest in mine, but I'm not quite ready to let it go.
Mark has offered a finders fee for any solid leads.

Rob, you can't take the old trucks with you. Although you might want to be buried in one. If he has $$$$ in folding money, maybe you need to think about what else is in the yard that needs you attention more.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 24-03-14, 18:19
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
Rob, you can't take the old trucks with you. Although you might want to be buried in one. If he has $$$$ in folding money, maybe you need to think about what else is in the yard that needs you attention more.
But I have never driven it with the siren on and the fireman hat I bought. I have also collected up hoses, nozzles etc for it.

I did slip up this winter though. Someone in Winnipeg had one of the old Wajax mark 1 firepumps for sale on Kijiji back in January. I missed it... only saw the google cached ad last week and it is long gone. One will be needed for the side of the truck.
Old 25-03-14, 02:24

Default Bloomfield truck

Rob,

I live quite close to Bloomfield. Once the snow finally disappears I could easily get some pictures for you. Are there any specific parts/angles that you would like taken?
Peter
Old 25-03-14, 03:25
carrier mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Duggan View Post
Rob,

I live quite close to Bloomfield. Once the snow finally disappears I could easily get some pictures for you. Are there any specific parts/angles that you would like taken?
Peter
Peter
I would very much appreciate that. Where to start.....seats, plumbing, front spray assembly, front axle. Kit stowage too if they still have original on it.

Thanks in advance. I can certainly do the same for you if you need any lynx photos from the one here in Shilo.
Old 22-04-14, 18:23

Default Pictures

Rob,

Tracked down your stable mate. It is no longer in Bloomfield, it has gone full circle and is back at the old Picton base. The base is now privately owned as a storage/industrial park. The site manager was quite cooperative and plans to restore the truck for a museum that they are creating. If there are specific shots that you need, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-22 11.27.04 (2).jpg
Views:	11
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	65001 Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-22 11.27.16 (2).jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	65002 Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-22 11.27.39 (2).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	65003
Old 22-04-14, 18:27

Default More pictures

Rob,

Some more, Peter

Name:	2014-04-22 11.27.57 (2).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	65004 Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-22 11.28.37 (2).jpg
Views:	7
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	65005 Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-22 11.28.50 (2).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	65006
Old 22-04-14, 18:30

Default Yet again

Name:	2014-04-22 11.29.10 (2).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	65007 Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-22 11.29.49 (2).jpg
Views:	4
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	65008 Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-22 11.30.32 (2).jpg
Views:	4
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	65009
Old 22-04-14, 20:39
carrier mech

Peter
Thanks so much for taking these. They answer many of the questions I had on this truck.
Old 22-04-14, 21:07
MLU Administrator

Hey Rob,

I think you need an example of the topless version, too!

Hanno
Old 22-04-14, 21:56
RC Sigs

Maybe a distant cousin?
Attached Thumbnails
64103_10151797186911694_2120145552_n.jpg  
M-37 52-30890
M-220 CDN 53-
Iltis 85-87789
LSVW Trailer 2910-1210
M-100 CDN
M-101 CDN2
Chev 5/4 76-
OMVA MVPA AVMQ CAFA CAFL
Old 27-04-14, 22:50
Brian Asbury

Default Data Sheet

Rob: You probably have it, but there is a Data Sheet Z180 Instr. 2, dated 9 Mar.'59 for the C500. I can make a copy if you don't have it. It is only 2 pages. .... Brian
Old 28-04-14, 00:15
carrier mech

Brian
I would love to have a copy. Currently all I have is the small data summary in the book of census codes, along with the line drawing.

If you can scan and email it to me Brian that would be perfect. Otherwise mail is great too, but with the price of a stamp now I would feel guilty until I saw you again and could settle up.
Old 28-04-14, 03:53
Brian Asbury

Default Data sheet

I'll mail it but will be a week or so. ...Brian
Old 28-04-14, 03:59
carrier mech

Thanks Brian.....beggars can't be choosers.