MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 30-07-17, 19:07
Rob D.

Default AN/PRC 77 Radio restoration

Hello anyone here know of someone that can repair/restore a AN/PRC 77 set ? Thank you
Old 31-07-17, 04:13

I assume your set has electrical issues rather than being physically beat up.

On that basis, these sets are basically modular in construction. Faults can be traced to given modules. The faulty module is removed (and usually tossed) and a new module installed. The set is then checked and away you go.

If you don't already have them, I would suggest you get a set of manuals. They are readily available and cheap and typically cover both the PRC 25 and 77 sets. There is just a subtle difference in one amplifier module.

A few years ago (5 maybe 6) the surplus radio market was suddenly flooded with NOS Test Sets for these radios. Dirt cheap. The set is an AN/GRM-55 Test Set. The test set and manuals can help quickly ID where the fault is in the set. If you are an electrical twit (and there is nothing wrong with that), I would suggest contacting any nearby Advanced Level Amateur Radio Operators to ask if they can help trouble shoot the set for you with the manuals and test set. They are a great bunch and typically love looking into something they have never worked on before.

And if you find a faulty module or two, new ones are readily available on the web.

Probably too much information, but what the hell. It's free.

David
Old 31-07-17, 19:19
Rob D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
I assume your set has electrical issues rather than being physically beat up.

On that basis, these sets are basically modular in construction. Faults can be traced to given modules. The faulty module is removed (and usually tossed) and a new module installed. The set is then checked and away you go.

If you don't already have them, I would suggest you get a set of manuals. They are readily available and cheap and typically cover both the PRC 25 and 77 sets. There is just a subtle difference in one amplifier module.

A few years ago (5 maybe 6) the surplus radio market was suddenly flooded with NOS Test Sets for these radios. Dirt cheap. The set is an AN/GRM-55 Test Set. The test set and manuals can help quickly ID where the fault is in the set. If you are an electrical twit (and there is nothing wrong with that), I would suggest contacting any nearby Advanced Level Amateur Radio Operators to ask if they can help trouble shoot the set for you with the manuals and test set. They are a great bunch and typically love looking into something they have never worked on before.

And if you find a faulty module or two, new ones are readily available on the web.

Probably too much information, but what the hell. It's free.

David
Hi David not too much info thank you. I will check out what you have suggested. Regards
Old 31-07-17, 21:57
M38A1 CDN3

Rob: I have an AN/GRM Test Set, if you want to borrow it.

Jon on the Derry Line.
Old 01-08-17, 01:01
Rob D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Skagfeld View Post
Rob: I have an AN/GRM Test Set, if you want to borrow it.

Jon on the Derry Line.
Thanks Jon I may need it.