MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Armour Forum

Notices

Old 24-08-17, 02:04

Default Tank hulls?

So I have lived in this area for a lot of years and keep hearing rumors that the Consecon Air Weapons range had targets that might still be there. This past two weeks I have heard two more rumors that there might still be one or two tank hulls out there. Dose anyone have any info on this? Or even better some old pictures? Id love to go out there but thinking a drone flight might be more in order as its against the law to set foot on that strip of land.

Cheers
Shawn Cormier
Old 24-08-17, 02:55
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

I confess to not knowing what your local rules and regs are for flying drones, but if you are not legally permitted to set foot on the land, I would think there would also be restrictions on overflying it.

Certain Government landholdings like airports, prisons and military bases can also have severe penalties in place in addition to any Civil Aviation rules for Drones. If the area is also a conservation area for migratory birds, then wildlife authorities might also object to overflights by drones.

Have a good look into it before you go flying over any Range, active or inactive.

Last edited by Tony Smith; 24-08-17 at 03:09.
Old 24-08-17, 03:12

Shawn C,

Having been involved in the Staghound in the Winchester Bog I would suggest you take a look at the site on Google earth. There is a lot that can be seen of various places.

I know in the end I did a flight in a light aircraft and found it easily.

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 24-08-17, 15:44
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
I confess to not knowing what your local rules and regs are for flying drones, but if you are not legally permitted to set foot on the land, I would think there would also be restrictions on overflying it.

Have a good look into it before you go flying over any Range, active or inactive.
Similar rules in Canada. UAS regulations have been tightened in the past year. Basically it is Line of Sight control at all times, low altitudes, and not in prohibited airspace. Essentially no overflying of people, vehicles or occupied dwellings.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...ne-safety.html

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 24-08-17, 16:00
Terry Warner

Further to my last, the point is listed as a bird sanctuary. You have an additional complication of flying a drone amongst the flocks of passing whatevers.

A search for "Consecon Air Weapons range" came up with many hits as a well known UXO site. I didn't look too deeply, but if it has been demined or surveyed, whoever had the contract would have reported all their findings to the Crown. I'd suggest trawling through the searches to find which company had the contracts, when, and then spend $5 for an Access to Information request with the specific questions of 'what big stuff did they find?' and 'where is it?'. If part of the survey included magnetometer data, "tanks" would show up like the balls on a dog. I know DND's UXO program points outwardly so requests will probably be considered generously not like you're trying to find the PM's security detail budgets or anything politically sensitive.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 24-08-17, 19:53

Hi Shawn
A few years ago Les Fisher and I got permission to check out this area. Supposedly there were some FOX parts there from one that had been used for a hard target. It is a narrow spit of land that sticks out into the water and was ideal for gunnery practise for the Trenton Air Base. We had to take one of the airmen from the base to keep an eye on us and make sure we came back alive. Because of the ordnance that had been used there the navy had been called in to sanitize the land and the surrounding water so that the area could be given to another government agency. We rented a boat and spent the day scouring the area but only found the straps for the spare fuel tank on a Staghound. No FOX. The sergeant who accompanied us let me remove the remainder of an expended rocket that had obviously hit something real solid. He enjoyed his day away from the base and got a bottle of Scotch out of it.
Cheers,
Barry
Old 26-08-17, 19:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Churcher View Post
Hi Shawn
A few years ago Les Fisher and I got permission to check out this area. Supposedly there were some FOX parts there from one that had been used for a hard target. It is a narrow spit of land that sticks out into the water and was ideal for gunnery practise for the Trenton Air Base. We had to take one of the airmen from the base to keep an eye on us and make sure we came back alive. Because of the ordnance that had been used there the navy had been called in to sanitize the land and the surrounding water so that the area could be given to another government agency. We rented a boat and spent the day scouring the area but only found the straps for the spare fuel tank on a Staghound. No FOX. The sergeant who accompanied us let me remove the remainder of an expended rocket that had obviously hit something real solid. He enjoyed his day away from the base and got a bottle of Scotch out of it.
Cheers,
Barry
Thanks for the reply. I was just talking to a unnamed person that saw a striped out hull six years ago. It kind of peeks my interest. Of course I don't want to go to jail so will seek proper channels. With that said I need to see if this will be worth all the paper work. I was thinking that the sand has shifted over the years. I have read the most recent reports of some anomalies below the surface about 45cm down. The last report and work was done back in 2007.
I have used google earth too look on the land and in the waters.

Cheers
Shawn Cormier