MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 04-10-13, 21:12
Dusan Klavik

Default Ford FGT cab.13 in Czech Republic

Hi all,

this week I became a proud owner of this Ford FAT project. As common its missing its rear body, which will need to be built from scretch. The possitive thing is that the original floor is still there. The engine and some other major and minor parts are missing, otherwise its a fairly good start. Luckily its been dry stored for a few decades so no major rust has affected the cab and doors. It seems to be original, only the dash seems to be not right. There is no plate attached to the drivers door so will not be easy to find more details on its production date. Unless I find a sensus number on the doors when the paint is uncovered carefully and then look into CZ army history archives. The fact is that it served with the Czechoslovak Armoured Brigade Group during WWII. The Czechoslovak Artillery Unit badge is still visible above the right headlamp. Then after the war it was given to a Fire Unit which saved it from faith of most of the Western vehicles which did not fit into Warsaw pact profile.
I know of another FGT in CZ which still possess one of the rear doors so I try to get in touch with the owner to get some pattern figures. There is also a CGT from Norway in Lesany Army museum, which my friend swapped for a Morris Quad a year ago. Unfortunately this CGT has its rear compartment collapsed but at least some meassurements could be taken.
I would like to get in touch with other FAT cab.13 owners so I can get more info to rebuild this beast.

Dusan
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG1298.jpg   IMAG1304.jpg   IMAG1346.jpg   PA043161.JPG   PA043164.JPG  

1938 Standard Flying 12 Staff Car
1943? Ford FGT cab.13 project
180 gall WWII water bowser project
1942 Fordson WOT8 project

www.rotanazdar.cz

Last edited by Dusonn; 04-10-13 at 21:21.
Old 04-10-13, 21:13
Dusan Klavik

Default more pictures

Here are some more pictures
Attached Thumbnails
PA043167.JPG   PA043170.JPG   PA043171.JPG  
Attached Images

www.rotanazdar.cz
Old 05-10-13, 01:35

Default Fgt

Nice find Dusan,

Looks like a beauty

Lots of work ahead of you....but that's where all the fun is anyway
Old 05-10-13, 04:03
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Congratulations

What a wonderful find Dusan, there are many who have restored the gun tractors so you should be able to get a lot of advice.

The dashboard is most unusual though:

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 05-10-13, 11:28
MLU Administrator

Great project, Dusan!

I like the fact it was used by the the Czechoslovak Armoured Brigade Group, so it really ties in with your country's military history.

While I certainly would not underestimate the amount of work, the basis for the rear body is there, and the superstructure is mostly angle iron and sheet metal. So it is doable to rebuild one if you have (access to) metalworking skills. Surely one of the members on here can help you with dimensions.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 05-10-13, 19:43
Dusan Klavik

Thanks guys for the friendly comments. The dashboard also puzzles me, I have not seen one like this before, has anybody? I reckon it was made post-war as it was not primed underneath, but looks very precisely made.
I have another question, are the FGT and CGT rear body exactly the same?

www.rotanazdar.cz
Old 06-10-13, 00:39
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusonn View Post
I have another question, are the FGT and CGT rear body exactly the same?
Dusan,

Although Ford and General Motors manufactured the cab and chassis for these trucks, the production of CMP truck bodies was subcontracted out to smaller companies in Ontario and Manitoba, organized into the wartime Steel Body Manufacturers Association by the Department of Munitions and Supply.

Even though built to a common design, if you look at the pictures on this forum you will find each manufacturer had its own detail differences. But it would be fine to copy a body either found on a CGT or FGT.

Not sure if this is a really good example of manufacturing differences (could be different restoration techniques?), but here a roof section as an example:

From http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2670

From http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14429

Hanno
Old 06-10-13, 09:31

Default Fgt

Hi , I got a CGT , but have a ford dash early and late available , some more bits as well.
Old 06-10-13, 12:35
MLU Administrator

Quote:
There is also a CGT from Norway in Lesany Army museum, which my friend swapped for a Morris Quad a year ago. Unfortunately this CGT has its rear compartment collapsed but at least some meassurements could be taken.
That must be the ex-Rolf Ask, ex-Erik Jostad CGT then:

Old 06-10-13, 22:37
Dusan Klavik

Thanks Hanno for the info, the pictures are helpfull, gives me some idea how the body frame looks like. The second picture has the original feeling but as you say may be different manufacurers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
That must be the ex-Rolf Ask, ex-Erik Jostad CGT then:
You are right Hanno, its ex-Erik Jostad CGT a friend of mine bought the lot that was offered on Milweb few years ago.
http://www.rotanazdar.cz/index.php?o...mid=66&lang=cs

Maurice, I will send you a PM regarding the dash. Cheers.

www.rotanazdar.cz
Old 07-10-13, 10:18

Excellent find Dusan....and even better that it's an actual CZ vehicle. I see the fuel tanks are missing (?). The FAT uses the larger size ones, so it could be difficult finding these.

Great pictures on your groups website....and some great vehicles. I checked the website some time ago, but I see several "new" vehicles now, including some nice CMP's and a .....Windsor carrier! Also good to see the progress on the C15TA!

Alex
Old 07-10-13, 12:29
Dusan Klavik

Yes Alex the fuel tanks are missing. But my intention is to get new made as there is always problem with old ones to litter the carb and filters with bits of rust.
Thanks for the kind comments on our website, I am the one who manages it but I cannot keep up with the English translations due to lack of time. There are the F15 and C15 new, both owned by the same owner now. F15 bought in the UK from Alec Small and the C15 from Netherlands.
The Windsor carrier is not ours, its part of the Lesany Museum collection, but I helped in making the deal for them.
One of our members also acquired the rare late production C8 HUP Staff Car recently, which I will be adding to the web soon. But it is disassembled. By the way the owner I bought the FGT from also has two of these C8s one running, one complete non-runner and also a chassis on wheels. I know of few others, these were all supplied by UNNRA here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
Excellent find Dusan....and even better that it's an actual CZ vehicle. I see the fuel tanks are missing (?). The FAT uses the larger size ones, so it could be difficult finding these.

Great pictures on your groups website....and some great vehicles. I checked the website some time ago, but I see several "new" vehicles now, including some nice CMP's and a .....Windsor carrier! Also good to see the progress on the C15TA!

Alex

www.rotanazdar.cz

Last edited by Dusonn; 07-10-13 at 12:43.
Old 07-10-13, 23:37

Dusan,

Quote:
Yes Alex the fuel tanks are missing. But my intention is to get new made as there is always problem with old ones to litter the carb and filters with bits of rust.
I agree, making new tanks would give you a fresh start (even though I still want to try and save the tanks I have) . By the way, I wonder if anyone ever tried a system as used in racing (and also aviation) where a "bladder" or bag is actually holding the fuel in the tank. This closed system would prevent any rust getting in the lines and the original tank would only act as a casing....so a few pinholes in the steel wouldn't matter (?)

It sounds like the collection of special MV's in CZ is constantly growing, very nice. I have been to Kraliky and Rokycany, but sadly didn't visit Lesany. Maybe somewhere in the future!

Alex
Old 08-10-13, 08:42
Dusan Klavik

Alex, we have no experience here with the bags you are talking about. A friend used some kind of special paint for tanks. Also you could get the tanks galvanized but there is always a risk that it collapses in the heat if the vapor holes are too small (filling and gauge).
You should definitely visit Lesany once you are in CZ, it is army run, much bigger and much more to see than in Kraliky and Rokycany. Its also said to be the only place outside Israel where you can see a Merkava tank. During the Tank Days you can see it running. Also there is a newly restored pre-war Skoda LT vz.35 tank, the only running in the World. The admission is free. http://www.vhu.cz/english-summary/

www.rotanazdar.cz
Old 08-10-13, 15:56

Hi Dusson

As you will see from an adjacent thread (FAT-1 remains) Rob Fast and I would like to know if the transition piece of structure at the back of the cab (that would join up to the rear body) is made of steel or rubber. I have found a similar truck but in very poor shape here in Ontario - but it is some distance from my home so easier to ask you about the part.
Old 08-10-13, 18:35

Quote:
Alex, we have no experience here with the bags you are talking about. A friend used some kind of special paint for tanks. Also you could get the tanks galvanized but there is always a risk that it collapses in the heat if the vapor holes are too small (filling and gauge).
You should definitely visit Lesany once you are in CZ, it is army run, much bigger and much more to see than in Kraliky and Rokycany. Its also said to be the only place outside Israel where you can see a Merkava tank. During the Tank Days you can see it running. Also there is a newly restored pre-war Skoda LT vz.35 tank, the only running in the World. The admission is free. http://www.vhu.cz/english-summary/
I think members will find that Saumur has a Merkava. I discussed it with a French officer on my last visit. No idea whether it is a runner, but I'm sure it is an early one.

Chris
Old 08-10-13, 18:38
Dusan Klavik

Default Transition piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by david moore View Post
Hi Dusson

As you will see from an adjacent thread (FAT-1 remains) Rob Fast and I would like to know if the transition piece of structure at the back of the cab (that would join up to the rear body) is made of steel or rubber. I have found a similar truck but in very poor shape here in Ontario - but it is some distance from my home so easier to ask you about the part.
David if you refer to the rear collar circled on the picture, than its made of steel and welded to the cab. I can take a close up picture tomorrow if you wish.
Attached Thumbnails
PA043167a.jpg  

www.rotanazdar.cz
Old 08-10-13, 19:23
Dusan Klavik

Default FGTs at the Czechoslovak Brigade

A friend of mine has done some research in the archives and so far it seems that only two FGTs came to Prague with returning Czechoslovak Armoured Brigade. One served with the Artillery Battalion and one with The AT Unit. If this is true, then both of them survived which is pretty amazing. The rest of our Quads were Morris. There were also Ford LAAs towing Bofors guns. No CGTs.
I have attached few pictures of H55582014 from 30th May 1945 near Prague. That could be my vehicle Notice the jerry can holder behind the spare wheel. I have seen this on the CZ Morris Quads as well. I reckon this was added before the Brigade departure from Dunkerque in May 1945 to bear enough fuel for such a long trip back to Prague.
Attached Thumbnails
Rudna at Prague 30May1945.jpg   Rudna at Prague 30May1945 CZ.jpg   Rudna at Prague CZ 30th May 1945.jpg   Ford Quad+ 25pdr. Praha 1945.jpg  

www.rotanazdar.cz
Old 18-10-13, 14:53
Dusan Klavik

Default FAT restoration on youtube

For me this is a very inspiring slideshow on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC7u7nHqtaA
I have seen this FGT before but never the pictures from the restoration. Is the owner a forum member or could anybody give me a contact please?

www.rotanazdar.cz
Old 19-10-13, 08:32
MLU Administrator

Quote:
For me this is a very inspiring slideshow on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC7u7nHqtaA
I have seen this FGT before but never the pictures from the restoration. Is the owner a forum member or could anybody give me a contact please?
See this thread for more info. The owner is Stijn van Haverbeke in Belgium. He's not on this forum but maybe you can contact him through his YouTube account.

H.
Old 19-10-13, 19:18
Dusan Klavik

Quote:
See this thread for more info. The owner is Stijn van Haverbeke in Belgium. He's not on this forum but maybe you can contact him through his YouTube account.
Thanks Hanno, I will try to make a contact via my Belgian friend from the 1st Belgian Field Battery, I am sure gunners will know each other.

www.rotanazdar.cz
Old 19-10-13, 20:59
Dusan Klavik

Default Unit sign

I have carefully cleaned up the unit sign remains today above the right-hand side headlamp and to my surprise the number was not 74 (Field Artillery Battalion) as expected but turned out to be No. 77 which stands for Anti-Tank Troop of the Czechoslovak Armoured Brigade Group. This is a very good revelation as that should be the only one FGT that served with this AT unit and thus its number should be H5558327
Now we should look for a 17pdr
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG1370.jpg  

www.rotanazdar.cz
Old 20-10-13, 21:46

Default Transition Metal Piece

Dusonn

Yes, the item that you have circled is the one I was asking about. You have answered my question so nothing further needed thanks.
I was asking on behalf of another restorer who saw my thread here regarding an FAT-1 wreck that I found here in Ontario, Canada. He thought it was a removable part and wanted me to recover it for him! No chance!

Regards

David
Old 20-10-13, 22:37
Dusan Klavik

Quote:
Originally Posted by david moore View Post
Dusonn

Yes, the item that you have circled is the one I was asking about. You have answered my question so nothing further needed thanks.
I was asking on behalf of another restorer who saw my thread here regarding an FAT-1 wreck that I found here in Ontario, Canada. He thought it was a removable part and wanted me to recover it for him! No chance!

Regards

David
No worries David, it would surely be hard to recover. Here is a detail of that section. Excuse the worse quality, shot by a mobile phone.
But if that is for Rob Fast, I am sure he knows how it looks like as he has it on his CGT, I think he rather ment something else...
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG1360.jpg   IMAG1362.jpg  

www.rotanazdar.cz

Last edited by Dusonn; 20-10-13 at 22:45.
Old 20-10-13, 23:12

Default I was referring...

to the heavy rubber "Transition" moulding which sealed the front cab to the rear body of the FAT. I have only found pieces of that moulding over the years. Cheers Rob
1943 FAT/ 17 pounder
1941 C15 GS 2B1
Old 21-10-13, 08:34
Dusan Klavik

Default rubber transition piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Fast View Post
to the heavy rubber "Transition" moulding which sealed the front cab to the rear body of the FAT. I have only found pieces of that moulding over the years. Cheers Rob
Oh, I see Rob, do you have a picture how it should look like? Is there any modern moulding replacement available?

www.rotanazdar.cz
Old 30-01-15, 08:17

Quote:
Dusan,

Although Ford and General Motors manufactured the cab and chassis for these trucks, the production of CMP truck bodies was subcontracted out to smaller companies in Ontario and Manitoba, organized into the wartime Steel Body Manufacturers Association by the Department of Munitions and Supply.

Even though built to a common design, if you look at the pictures on this forum you will find each manufacturer had its own detail differences. But it would be fine to copy a body either found on a CGT or FGT.

Not sure if this is a really good example of manufacturing differences (could be different restoration techniques?), but here a roof section as an example:

From http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2670

From http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=14429

Hanno
I do not know much about FAT bodies, but the differences on your pictures seems to be caused by the restoration techniques, doesn't it? Is there any thread about the types of FAT bodies on the forum? Does anybody know how many manufacturers there ware in the Ontario and Manitoba region?

Thanks,

Frankie
Old 31-01-15, 16:53

Default Cgt

Hi Dusan,

Here is ours, I took it out today to get her ready for our may 5th parades.

It needs brakes maintenance etc.

If you need any pics or info, do not hesitate to ask,

Kind regards,

Stefan Leegwater
Attached Thumbnails
FAT.jpg   FAT2.jpg  
Old 02-02-15, 07:59

Default Body front upper corner solved

Yesterday I took few pics of my father's Ford FAT. The renovated one on Hano's pictures is exactly the same as we have on our Ford.
Attached Thumbnails
Corner.jpg  

Last edited by Frantisek Nachlinger; 02-02-15 at 10:05. Reason: grammar
Old 02-02-15, 09:21
Dusan Klavik

Stefan thanks for the pics and info offer, itīs a beauty. Due to lack of time at the moment I am slowly collecting parts for this project, to have everything ready when the time comes. I got a winch, windscreen and few other bits from your father already.

Frantisek, I am glad you repatriated your fathers FAT and that it is going to be restored. It will be nice to see two original Czechoslovak FATs during events here, especially when there is just handfull of the actual vehicles which served with the brigade out of many that can be seen around today.

www.rotanazdar.cz