MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 17-11-17, 23:33
Bob Kenny

Default chev 15 no 12 cab: protective pad vulcanised to the inside roof

Hi All
I'm well underway with the restoration of my 12 cab C15 which is the British version with no roof hatch. I'm interested to know whether anyone else has seen what appears to have been a protective pad vulcanised to the inside roof above the drivers head? In the back of my mind I've seen reference to this previously and wonder whether anyone has any details or better still pictures.

Cheers Bob Kenny
Old 18-11-17, 00:01

Default Crash pads......

To the best of my knowledge all cab 11 and 12 had a molded piece of black foam rubber about 15 inches square....one inch thick glued to the roof panel. Whether it was actually needed or not I am not sure.

Will take exact measurements tomorrow in the barn and let you know.

To reproduce them I plan on glueing two 1/2 inch thick very firm black foam together than shaping the edges round with a power sander. Will then glue a fine linen over the finished side and paint the linen with semigloss black paint.

As anybody else got ideas for reproducing the foam pads???

Bob C
Canada
Old 18-11-17, 03:33
Bob Kenny

Default C15 no 12 cab

Hi Bob Thanks for the heads up, what you describe is exactly the remnants on my roof. My initial thought for replacement would be to use black foam sports mat or perhaps the stuff made for campers for their mattress.
Cheers Bob Kenny
Old 18-11-17, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
To the best of my knowledge all cab 11 and 12 had a molded piece of black foam rubber about 15 inches square....one inch thick glued to the roof panel. Whether it was actually needed or not I am not sure.
Bob C
Certainly with C&F15A's with run-flats on our British roads I can vouch for the fact that they are on occasion necessary when you hit the ruts and drain holes Bob
The 30's and 60's being heavier and with the longer wheel base tend not to jump about so much and the 15's and 8's have lighter springing anyway there were occasions with my C15A when those following me claimed to have seen daylight under all four wheels and this was at our standard cursing speed of around 35mph

Pete

Pete
Old 18-11-17, 13:56

Default Also that's what the handle on the floor is for

Hi Bob

My Pattern 12 C60L has the rubber crash pads over both driver and c-odriver's seats. I've never put the cab top back on the truck since restoring it 10 years ago. The first rally I took it to didn't have seat belts and people following me on the trail ride commented that I was being bounced up out of the seat quite a distance on every big bump.

To keep the co-driver in their seats is the purpose of handle on the floor of the cab.

They seem to have deleted the crash pads in the Pattern 13s tho the need was still there, I launched my daughter into the roof of the HUP when she was a teenager, on a particularly hard bump.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com