MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 25-11-17, 04:04

Default Question For Rob

Hi Rob...I just discovered that both the transmission/engine and transfer case mounts are toast...I now have the two parts....question....can you replace both parts by just lifting the engine with a bottle jack or do you have to take off the cross brace.

If the cross brace has to come off will the engine/trans/transfer combo hang to replace the mounts or do you have to jack/support everything before taking off the brace?

Please explain...thanks!

les
Old 25-11-17, 04:28
carrier mech

You can certainly change the engine mounts by lifting the engine. Use a decent size piece of wood on the bottom of the oil pan as opposed to merely sticking a bottle jack directly onto the pan.

For the back mounts, same deal. Remove the bolts on the mounts, and jack up at the bellhousing to raise the transmission. You will likely run out of room and start hitting the floor of the jeep with the top of the transmission. So ideally you loosen off the 4 bolts at the frame on the skid plate crossmember and let it drop a bit.

It's been a while, but isn't one or two of the bolts for one of the rear mounts hidden under the skid plate? If so, it has to go too.

If you have an impact gun, it will make short work of most of those bolts. If you don't, ask santa for one of the dewalt 18v (or for a bit more money the 20V) impact guns. They are indispensable for driveway work and you don't have to F-around with cords or hoses.
Old 26-11-17, 17:48

Default Reply-Rob

Thanks Rob....I will try to jack up the area between the transmission & bell housing....it appears to have a small flat spot made for a jack. Yup, I do have an impact wrench which Santa sent many, many years ago.

Regards,

les