MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 19-10-11, 12:52
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Smile Skype etc.

G'Day All
For some time now I have been using "Skype" to keep in touch with my small group of friends & family. Some MLU users are also on my contact list, and because most of them live a long way from here, I am able to chat without incurring massive telephone bills! (Skype PC to PC calls are free).
I notice that not many people on this forum are listed as users.
I would encourage you to get a web cam & join in (download skype for free) as it is also excellent to put faces to the names of people that we are never likely to meet in person.
If you already have & use skype, be sure to add your contact details to your profile!
Cheers
Howard.
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 19-10-11, 15:58

Default We have kidded about it over the years but never done it

Hi Howard

I have kidded, Hammond Barn Crew about doing this over the years but never done it. I'd really like to get a connection in my shop so could talk and see stuff from there.

Don't know how to do a group Skpe but I'll check into it. I have a Skpe account on G-mail already use it to talk with grand children will find the settings.

Maybe some others could check as well.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 19-10-11, 18:12
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default e-mail search

Phil..
Just get on Skype and punch in known e-mail addresses of your friends and a little box pops up IF they have Skype too..then it asks "Do you want to contact" or some such invitation and you hit "Yes" and it will contact said person and a little message will pop on on his machine that you want to be his Skype buddy and if he likes you..he will say "Yes" and you are away to the races ..fill in your Skype user name and your buddy's name will pop up on your machine..Call him up..hit video call and you can see him ..and FREE..I call my kids in INDY all the time and have talked to My daughter in Urrup when she travels..Great stuff.
Old 19-10-11, 19:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
I would encourage you to get a web cam & join in (download skype for free) as it is also excellent to put faces to the names of people that we are never likely to meet in person.

Hi Howard,

Good call, Skype is really reliable now and I use it regulary, especially for overseas calls. Do not always use the video feature as it can suck up you monthly internet allowance. Have spoken to another Ganmain resident, so know it reaches that far . The SMS messaging on there is useful to check the contact is free for a call.

regards, Richard

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 19-10-11, 21:27
Film maker, CMP addict

Default Skype

I have it but rarely use it - don't know why... but should make an effort to use it more.

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 19-10-11, 22:23

Default Interesting concept.....

I will need to look up my ISP to see if it is compatible and how much it might eat up my internet allowances....... if it does it no longer is "Free"

In response to Phil........ It would be costly to hook up the barn with a video set up....... would need to string up video cables, etc. I have a spare PC that I have considered setting up in the barn .....but .... the environment.....grinding metal dust..... hot cold dry humid ...... not to mention furry little critters could be difficult to deal with....... having a bug in your computer could take a whole different literal meaning.

The owner and users know how dirty its been in the barn when they go home and give the old snoozle a good blow in a tissue....... your whole days' work is staring back at you and usually very black.....

Bob
Canada
Old 20-10-11, 00:37

Default Computer in shop

Hi Bob

I've had an old computer in the barn for years and have not really had a problem, after 10 years one of CD drives quit working. But my shop doesn't go below 35F. Not sure my old computer would be fast enough for the video camera but it is worth a try. Only other problem in the shop I've had is that I can not plug the welder in on the same circuit, for some strange reason the computer had a hissy-fit. I been expecting that the dust from the plasma cutter would have done it in years ago.

I'm going to borrow a wireless hub to see if it will work out in the barn with out a cable, about 175 feet from house.

Worth playing with.

Cheers Phil
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 29-10-11, 22:33
"Sid and Errol's Dad"

Smile Contact!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Waterman View Post
...I have a Skpe account on G-mail already use it to talk with grand children will find the settings.
Cheers Phil
The easiest way is simply add your skype 'handle' to your personal MLU profile. From there it's just a matter of clicking on the skype icon of other members that you wish to add to your contact list. Very simple, really!
F15 #12
F15A #13 (stretched)
F60S #13
C15A #13 Wireless (incomplete)
Old 29-10-11, 23:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard View Post
The easiest way is simply add your skype 'handle' to your personal MLU profile. From there it's just a matter of clicking on the skype icon of other members that you wish to add to your contact list. Very simple, really!
No problems making contact with other members Howard. Thanks for the contact earlier.

1943 Bedford QLD lorry - 1941 BSA WM20 m/cycle - 1943 Daimler Scout Car Mk2
Member of MVT, IMPS, MVG of NSW, KVE and AMVCS
KVE President & KVE News Editor
Old 29-10-11, 23:42
Corowa Project 30

It is handy and I use it to Skype Ganmain Tony, Richard Farrant and Howard Holgate. Last night I also set it up on my Iphone but have to investigate if it effects my Optus mobile bill. Does anyone know?
Research & Development
THE COROWA YEAR 30 PROJECT