Notices

Old 11-07-07, 22:22
Vets Dottir 2nd

In todays Canoe:

Quote:
July 11, 2007

Listen to vets, not Layton
By EARL McRAE

Should Canada pull its soldiers out of Afghanistan because some are being killed?

That's the question I asked several veterans of World War II at the Perley and Rideau Veterans' Health Centre. Not one of them said yes, not one had a good word to say about NDP leader Jack Layton, who the other day bleated once again that Stephen Harper should immediately get our soldiers to hell back to Canada -- thus abandoning the Afghan government and people -- because six more Canadian soldiers were killed and that, tsk, tsk, is just terrible.

It matters not to Layton that our soldiers do not want to come home, that they support the mission, that they believe progress is being made, that the families of the dead are not demanding their comrades come home, that they speak supportively of their dead loved ones.

They get it, Layton doesn't.

Jack Layton, leader of a party that supposedly anguishes for the oppressed and exploited in society, but when it comes to Canada being one of the NATO countries fighting -- at the request of the Afghan government, and at the gratitude of the Afghan people -- the oppressing and exploiting rogue Taliban, Layton's precious social philosophy goes flying out his window.

Layton's acting as if it's Canadian civilian tourists being murdered. No Layton, they're soldiers. Soldiers in combat. Soldiers who know in combat their job is to kill or be killed. Soldiers who, with their NATO allies, have killed more Taliban than have killed them. Soldiers, fine Canadian soldiers, who, despite the deaths, truck on willingly and bravely in the name of freedom and democracy, in the face of possible death, for fellow humans on this planet.

Does Jack Layton, for all his alleged brains, know that for the first three years of the six-year World War II, the allies were losing the war to the Germans? Does Mr. Jack Layton -- NDP weeping heart -- know that his grandfather, Gilbert Layton, minister-without-portfolio in the Quebec government of Premier Maurice Duplessis in World War II, resigned, yes, resigned, over its opposition to conscription?

But not all soldiers disagree with Canadian political leader Jack Layton's howling to bring the soldiers home. Nope. The Taliban love it. If Layton's views reflect the soft Canadian underbelly, goes Taliban thinking, let's keep pouring it on. Layton says he supports our troops. No he doesn't.

Several weeks ago on Gerry Cammy's CFRA talk show I asked Layton why he doesn't go to Afghanistan himself to meet the troops, assess the situation first hand. "You might come back with different views," I told him. "Do you not think you'd benefit from such a trip?"

He said that yes, he would, and that he had a request in to the government to go, but hadn't heard back. Not that he was making it a priority, he with all the answers and outrage. Send him over Stephen Harper, let us see him do what he's calling for: Negotiate peace with the Taliban in the best interests of the democracy-desirous Afghans. Let him do it to the violin strains of Beautiful Dreamer.

Jack Tarzwell, 86, RCAF, Flight Lieutenant, navigator in Dakotas, three years combat overseas: "No one likes to see deaths, but it happens. No, we should not pull out. That's not soldiering, that's cowardice. Wars can be long and frustrating. Challenging. Do it, dammit. Just do it. It's the name of the game."

Al Erickson, 83, RCAF, Flying Officer, anti-submarine, air-and-sea rescue, 18 months combat in Malta: "The NDP and Liberals calling for a pullout, it's a lot of humbug. We're there for a mission. You've got to do what you've got to do. You can't say 'come home' every time a soldier is killed."

Erickson's right arm is badly scarred. "I was in the gun turret at the back of the plane. I got hit by machine-gun bullets. But our plane survived. I shot the German plane down."

Bucky Stanton, 85, British Army, Devonshire Regiment, Corporal, combat in Italy, wounded in action, two buddies killed, emigrated to Canada in 1951, visiting a pal at Perley And Rideau: "We're slowly winning this war, winning the battles and the hearts and minds, but you'd never know it from the left-wing media and politicians. This bird Layton should just shut up. He's humiliating the Canadian soldiers and our great country on the world stage."

Old 12-07-07, 20:18

Hi

No comment.

regards
Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
layton.jpg  
Old 13-07-07, 06:40

my brother in law was one of them, he was wounded in the arm and hand 12 stiches in all he's fine and should be back to duty soon.

James

Quote:
Originally posted by John McGillivray
Two Canadian soldiers hurt by roadside bomb
Updated Tue. Jul. 10 2007 5:07 PM ET
Canadian Press
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan -- Two Canadian soldiers have been injured by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan.
Military officials say their Leopard tank hit an improvised explosive device at 8 p.m. local time.
The convoy was then ambushed by small arms fire.
But the military says the convoy was able to push through and make it safely to a nearby forward operating base.
The soldiers' injuries are not considered serious.
The attack comes days after another Canadian convoy was hit by a suicide bomber, injuring four soldiers.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...hub=TopStories
Old 14-07-07, 16:18
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Quote:
Originally posted by james007
my brother in law was one of them, he was wounded in the arm and hand 12 stiches in all he's fine and should be back to duty soon.

James
Glad to hear he's OK, James. If it's not an OPSEC issue, how are the Leos in general standing up to this IED nonsense?
Old 14-07-07, 16:26

Default Militiamen in Afstan

For those in the know, what proportion of Canucks in-theatre at any given time are militia types? While obviously those who go have to be in top form, is this just another chapter in the time-honoured 'call-out' book, or has the demand dictated new criteria for service?

Either way, this reminds me of the warm pride we as a nation share at the 1939 response to the call to arms...

OPSEC is obviously a primary consideration - if there are concerns, please PM me separately.

Geoff
Old 14-07-07, 19:43
Mr. HUP

Default Please Be Careful

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
If it's not an OPSEC issue, how are the Leos in general standing up to this IED nonsense?
From someone who works in the army equipment world, I would recommend we stick to published media photos and stories only as this is a security issue. Most Canadian would throw a fit and call it censorship, but the army in general and myself in particular see it as a life and death issue for our soldiers.

Why give our enemies such as the Taliban and NDP types any advantages?
Old 14-07-07, 20:06

Duly noted and of course agreed, Robert - why do you think I asked? I'm just curious as to whether anyone's heard or seen anything on the subject which is UNclassified, and which has so far escaped my attention. In a case like that, you can bet your next case of frostys that the BGs already have it.
Old 17-07-07, 16:59

Default Afstan Notes

For all who are interested, there's a wealth of commentary on the day-to-day lives of Canadians in Afstan in the National Post, here:

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/a...tan/index.html

There's enough reading there to keep you going for hours. A couple of pages I was particularly impressed with (so far) are:

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/a...5b8cd9&k=89970

and:

http://communities.canada.com/nation...l/default.aspx

The first link is some stuff written by a Don Martin; he's really very good. The second is a blog by a Richard Johnson, who combines writing and drawing skills to paint a unique picture of everyday life over there.

Old 29-07-07, 20:54
Vets Dottir 2nd

Is THIS some of what you soldiering ones all eat? Oh yum ... ??? I don't envy you deployed folks some of your rations there. (I like that story about the "comments" card inserted with the rations ... sounds like they are used a lot ...

Quote:
July 29, 2007

Canadian rations to include protein supplement as meal replacement

By MURRAY BREWSTER

OTTAWA (CP) - In 55 degree heat and with Taliban rockets raining down, the last thing most of us would feel like doing is chowing down on a steaming bag of preserved salmon fillet.

With that in mind, the Canadian army is set to introduce a protein drink to its field ration kits, a specially formulated supplement similar to what body builders use.

Maj. Julie Johnson, who is responsible for keeping the army's supply of individual meal packs flowing to the front, says the military has found soldiers in Afghanistan operating "outside of the wire" have often not been eating three meals a day.

"Nobody really wants to choke down ravioli when it's 150 degrees out, so the protein supplement is something that can be used in lieu," she said in an interview.

The meal replacement is a powdered drink that mixes with water and comes in three flavours - vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. It will begin appearing in soldiers' rations within the next couple of weeks, said Johnson.

About a year ago, the army started to realize that soldiers, especially those running the gauntlet of supply convoys from Kandahar Airfield to far-flung desert bases, didn't have the time or the inclination to eat breakfast, lunch and supper every day.

"When I saw that, I said that was inappropriate and we need to maintain their nutritional wellness," said Johnson.

Individual meal packs - or IMPs - are the stuff of culinary legend in the army, with a shelf life of over three years.

As soldiers often say: "Once you've had it, you'll never forget it, although you wish you could."

Often derided as an assault on the pallet, the rations are distributed to troops when it's impossible to set up field kitchens, which in Afghanistan means pretty much everywhere outside of the main NATO base at Kandahar Airfield, the provincial team base in the city and select forward operating bases.

The brown-bagged meals, of which there are 18 varieties, contain one main entree, a dessert, powdered fruit drinks, coffee, candy and, significantly, a comment card.

Over the years, there have been some colourful responses. A macaroni and cheese dinner, into which the supplier inexplicably added freeze-dried peas, elicited a barrage of comments.

Nicole Belanger-Drapeau, the civilian manager of the ration program at National Defence, said she was bombarded with notes for three years saying: "Pleeeease get rid of the peas."

Other unpopular selections that have now been purged from the menu include the breakfast ham omelette and the ham steak dinner.

When the company that manufactures the rations decided to drop the little chunk of preserved, bagged bread from its inventory, Belanger-Drapeau decided to replace it with packages of dried toast, which soldiers later compared to eating chunks of hardened Styrofoam.

"Well, again I was proven wrong because soldiers did not like them," she said with a mildly exasperated wave of her hand.

Belanger-Drapeau has perhaps one of the most unforgiving jobs at National Defence, deciding what to put on the combat ration menu. She organizes annual taste-testing events at bases across Canada to try out new selections.

"It's extremely difficult and it's becoming even more difficult with the younger generation," she said.

Unlike their fathers and grandfathers, who would have been happy scarfing down wieners and beans, many of the country's new soldiers have sophisticated and diverse taste buds.

They like food with a lot of flavour and spices, said Belanger-Drapeau.

"We've moved towards what you would call ethnic food so you have a good variety," she said.

"With 18 choices you're trying to feed over 1,600 troops - or even the entire army - it's very difficult because in a family of four you have two people who don't eat this and the others don't eat that."

Some of the dinner menu selections now include Indian chicken, Szechwan chicken and cabbage rolls.

Another unexpected problem: the length of time troops eat the bagged food. With field operations sometimes lasting weeks, the chances of eating the same meal over and over are pretty high.

"What was appealing on a 10-day exercise in Canada is no longer appealing in Afghanistan - or it's hard with the temperatures to swallow," said Johnson.

Peanut butter and chocolate bars are examples of things that are popular back home, but quickly become an unappealing gooey mess in the withering deserts.

"Everybody fights for the IMP with the chocolate bar in Canada, they horde it and it sometimes becomes currency, but in Afghanistan it's the last thing you want because it melts," said Johnson.

Despite the grumbling, soldiers must not be able to get enough of them. The meal packs have become a hot commodity - so to speak - even back in Canada, where EBay was offering Friday five packs for $42.
Old 29-07-07, 21:28

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir 2nd
Is THIS some of what you soldiering ones all eat? Oh yum ... ??? I don't envy you deployed folks some of your rations there. (I like that story about the "comments" card inserted with the rations ... sounds like they are used a lot ...
LMAO!!!!! And Canucks have rations some other armies would KILL for, particularly Americans... I don't know if theirs have improved in recent years, but their MREs used to be referred to as "Mainly Rat Entrails"...

Me, I'm just pissed they chucked the ham omelet; it was a culinary work-of-art... I used to trade just about any other meal I was carrying for ham omelets, while the lads would look at me with a mixture of awe and horror on their faces. It was a character-building exercise to scarf the things cold at oh-dark-thirty, flavoured with salt, pepper and ketchup! The young-uns with spirit learned to motivate THEIR charges accordingly, bless 'em all!

When the CF started cutting over to what they thought of as 'gourmet' meals, the charm went out of field cookery. It was "where the hell is my Tabasco sauce?!"

Ah, the good ol' days...

Old 29-07-07, 21:58

Hi Geoff

I too was a great fan of the old Ham Omlette. And I too was the subject of disbelief when stating that at meal times. I think the young-uns had it removed because it was visually un-appealing. I thought so too but at least the old "Lung in a Bag" was certainly the best tasting of the Breakfast menus. That and the old corned beef hash. Both were also good next-to-skin pouches for supplementary heating methods!!

One drawback of the peas in the Mac and Cheese was that if the meal was heated too long, the peas would explode in your mouth. No one wants burning pea in their mouth!!!

IMHO, this drink would be a welcome addition to the meals for the deployed fighting troops here.

Oh and I've always known MREs to be 3 lies in one; not a meal, not ready, and certainly not anything you can eat!!!

regards
Darrell
Old 29-07-07, 22:19
Vets Dottir 2nd

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell Zinck
Oh and I've always known MREs to be 3 lies in one; not a meal, not ready, and certainly not anything you can eat!!!

regards
Darrell
Good one Darrell

:witch
Old 29-07-07, 22:40

Quote:
Originally posted by Darrell Zinck
I too was a great fan of the old Ham Omlette. And I too was the subject of disbelief when stating that at meal times. I think the young-uns had it removed because it was visually unappealing. I thought so too but at least the old "Lung in a Bag" was certainly the best tasting of the Breakfast menus. That and the old corned beef hash. Both were also good next-to-skin pouches for supplementary heating methods!!
Quite so, Darrell, and it's good to know there's at least one other fossil among us! "...lemme tell ya 'bout the stuff we USED to eat..."

The hash was good, although spending any amount of time inside a Grizzly after eating a couple was, er, an interesting olfactory experience...

Cold spaghetti was also a bit of adventure.

One thing they never did get right was that abomination they called coffee. Disgusting! There was NOTHING you could do to make that palatable. Order of the day, your OWN coffee or tea in your ruck!
Old 29-07-07, 22:45
Vets Dottir 2nd

HARSH ... BAD COFFEE IS CRUEL AND UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT!!!!

OKAY WHO DO I HAVE TO TAKE OUT :witch TO GET GOOD COFFEE IN FOR OUR TROOPS

pssssst Geoff ... I found the link for those Blue Rodeo tunes and am listening now
Old 29-07-07, 23:40
Derek Heuring

Quote:
LMAO!!!!! And Canucks have rations some other armies would KILL for, particularly Americans... I don't know if theirs have improved in recent years, but their MREs used to be referred to as "Mainly Rat Entrails"...

Me, I'm just pissed they chucked the ham omelet; it was a culinary work-of-art... I used to trade just about any other meal I was carrying for ham omelets, while the lads would look at me with a mixture of awe and horror on their faces. It was a character-building exercise to scarf the things cold at oh-dark-thirty, flavoured with salt, pepper and ketchup! The young-uns with spirit learned to motivate THEIR charges accordingly, bless 'em all!

When the CF started cutting over to what they thought of as 'gourmet' meals, the charm went out of field cookery. It was "where the hell is my Tabasco sauce?!"

Ah, the good ol' days...

And the ham steak and bread packet are gone too!!??!! What are they thinking in Ottawa? If I remember correctly the boil-in-the-bag entrees were made by Freddy-Chef, and they weren't too bad either, just not enough. In temperate weather 3 IMPs will sustain life, but just. You won't stay 230 lbs for long when you're a CME working 18 hours a day, having Stand-to's at night, and playing OPFOR. But we Canadians can't complain too much...our IMPs beat any other Army's field rations, except for maybe the French, and the food in our Mess Halls is pretty darn good too. Although I didn't like the bacon they served in the Golan Heights. None of the countries in the Middle East serve Pork so we had to import our bacon from Greece where they feed fish meal to the hogs, so the bacon tasted like fish...Yuck! The Swine!
Old 29-07-07, 23:51

Quote:
Originally posted by sapper740
...and the food in our Mess Halls is pretty darn good too.
Yep, I used to put on WAY too much weight eating in the Mess on classroom-based qual crses at Borden. Well, those and spending an inordinate amount of time at the Mess bar, waiting for some nervous young clot to walk in c/w beret...
Old 05-08-07, 17:57

Default George Patton on the War on Terror

This is incredibly well done! It's America-oriented of course, so you Yank-baiters will have to bite your tongues; simply respect the creativity and imagination which has gone into this!

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyUX6wV1lBQ
Old 06-08-07, 07:51

Default Welcome Home ROTO107

Well, the last of the 2 RCR ROTO will be back home any day now and I wish the best of luck to the VanDoo BG in their misson.
Putting all of the political/media trash aside, over concerns of a French Canadian BN deploying, I'm sure that they see themselves as contributing to a worthwhile Op. Unfortunately, the odds of the BN coming out of this ROTO unscathed are slim. We, back here in Canada (Franco and Anglo) had best steele ourselves for the inevitable "talking head" annoucement of a Quebec (not Canadian) soldier casualty. This will, no doubt, inspire a political feeding frenzy. While Layton goes on a rant, the Bloc will secretly rub their hands in glee. Hopefully the PM can muster up some poise (something he's not really famous for) and remind the Country, that being the envy of the Global Community comes with Global Responsibility, now let's quietly grieve with the mother who's world has come crashing down.
My most heartfelt condolences to those families who have lost loved ones.
Old 06-08-07, 13:58

Default Re: Welcome Home ROTO107

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayne McGee
Well, the last of the 2 RCR ROTO will be back home any day now and I wish the best of luck to the VanDoo BG in their misson.
Putting all of the political/media trash aside, over concerns of a French Canadian BN deploying, I'm sure that they see themselves as contributing to a worthwhile Op. Unfortunately, the odds of the BN coming out of this ROTO unscathed are slim. We, back here in Canada (Franco and Anglo) had best steele ourselves for the inevitable "talking head" annoucement of a Quebec (not Canadian) soldier casualty. This will, no doubt, inspire a political feeding frenzy. While Layton goes on a rant, the Bloc will secretly rub their hands in glee. Hopefully the PM can muster up some poise (something he's not really famous for) and remind the Country, that being the envy of the Global Community comes with Global Responsibility, now let's quietly grieve with the mother who's world has come crashing down.
My most heartfelt condolences to those families who have lost loved ones.
My concern is that with all this media hype the R22R battle group is being set up for special attention from Timmy. The Canadian media and politicians make it sound that inflicting casualties during this rotation will have a greater political impact than on other rotations, i.e. making them into higher value targets.

Also I am sure that some in English Canada are waiting for the first perceived screw-up by the Van-Doos, so they can engage in their favourite sport of Quebec bashing.

One should remember that the troops being sent to Afghanistan are Canadians! Quebec, in spite of the best efforts of the PQ, BQ and their allies in the rest of Canada, is still a part of Canada. The Van-Doos includes French speaking troops from all parts of Canada, and not just Quebec.
Old 06-08-07, 14:05

Default Re: John

The spirit of Paul Triquet and his men is ageless, universal and unconquerable... oh that the rest of the country would sit up and shed its petty, media-driven preconceptions!!
Old 06-08-07, 14:13

Royal 22nd Regiment penetrates hostile territory
Updated Mon. Aug. 6 2007 7:55 AM ET
Martin Ouellet, Canadian Press
DISTRICT SHAH VALI KOWT, Afghanistan -- Canadian soldiers from the Royal 22nd Regiment moved deep into hostile territory over the weekend, patrolling a vast region of Afghanistan known to be sympathetic to the Taliban.
Canadian troops did not confront insurgents during this trek but they are convinced the territory is guided by a "phantom Taliban government."
Along roads, through fields and mountains, the soldiers cut a wide swath across a region north of Kandahar in light armoured vehicles. They continued their patrol on foot through punishing 50 degree C heat.
At best, the reception from local villagers was polite and lukewarm, as most men and children - women are absent from public spaces in Afghan villages -- watched the soldiers march with a mix of fear, mistrust and sometimes hostility in their eyes.
The troops are often seen as invaders.
One youth, who hid a sickle behind his back was told by a soldier to drop his weapon. An elder intervened and persuaded the young man to get rid of the object before the situation deteriorated.
Elsewhere, residents in a hamlet acknowledged the troops with indifference. The locals spoke among themselves and drank tea, while an officer tried to persuade citizens to show the soldiers around the village.
"The Americans came here and they promised to build a school," said Chalam Abad, an elder claiming to be the town's mayor.
"They never did it."
Abad, speaking through an interpreter, said he had not seen NATO soldiers in the community for at least three years.
Villagers said they have never had a problem with the Taliban. Some said the Taliban have never set foot in the region.
The International Security Assistance Force, of which Canada is a member, thinks otherwise.
"There is a phantom Taliban government here," said one officer.
"That's why we have to be present here, checking over the terrain to counter infiltration by the Taliban."
For his part, Sgt. Steve Dufour says there is still a lot of work to be done in Afghanistan before winning over the local population.
"There are people who are frightened and we see that there is still lots of information to send to the villages to explain to people that we are here to help," he said

Canadian helping spur development in Afghanistan
Updated Sun. Aug. 5 2007 10:16 PM ET
CTV.ca News Staff
A veteran Canadian aid worker is braving the serious security threats of southern Afghanistan and trying to help villagers in the region better their lives.
"It's really critical to establish the economic infrastructure -- jobs, jobs, jobs," Drew Gilmour of Development Works Canada told CTV News. "Water is life, but providing opportunity jobs and training -- well, that makes life worth living."
Gilmour's private-sector work with Marjburobad -- one poor, dry community outside Kandahar City -- did start with water.
"They said, 'We have seen a thousand people come and go, but prove to us you are serious,' and we asked them, what, and they said water," he said.
Gilmour responded by first digging them a well.
Within a few weeks, over 200 village men had jobs. They built six more wells, and construction on an irrigation system is now well underway.
The goal is to plant fields with vegetable crops that can then be grown at market. The community's sense of hope is growing with the progress.
To help them, Gilmour brought Said Ahmad Azizi, one of Afghanistan's leading engineers, out of retirement to help with the efforts.
"I am not supposed to work, but I love to work with the country because its completely ruined out, destroyed and everybody needs something," Azizi said.
The Canadian International Development Agency funds Gilmour's work. They look on his effort as establishing a blueprint for how badly-needed private-sector development projects can get started in Kandahar province.
"He is operating as a pioneer," Kevin Rex, a CIDA official and development advisor to Joint Task Force Afghanistan, said of Gilmour.
However, the dangers facing anyone doing the work Gilmour does are very real.
In 2006, insurgents are believed to have murdered British Columbia resident Mike Frastacky, who was building a co-ed school in northern Afghanistan.
The Taliban think kidnappings are a good way to pressure the Afghan government. They currently hold 21 South Korean missionaries and aid workers, having killed two others.
When Gilmour leaves his Kandahar City compound, he does so with protection and after engaging in some careful planning.
"We have security procedure and I would say we are professional, and I would say there is some inherent risk that we try to minimize," he said.
But Gilmour also said the risk is worth it. "By far this is the most rewarding thing I have done in development," he said, adding his biggest reward is the smiles on the faces of village children.
He hopes to extend his efforts to a total of seven villages, and that if he succeeds, more will follow in his footsteps.
With a report from CTV's Denelle Balfour\

Old 07-08-07, 03:00

Default Sex, Religion, Politics

These are the Cardinal Sins for discussion in any Sergeants Mess I've ever been in. Here, on my first visit to your Mess I've broken Rule #3. To the uninitiated, the Sergeants & WOs Mess might appear to be a pretty boring place with all these people standing around with nothing to talk about. However, we know that, that is not the case.
In my experience I have witnessed a definite "Regimental Personality" down to the BN level. However, I am ignorant of the " personality" of 1,2,3 BN R22R. This has never stopped me from joining the frivolity of "Unit Bashing" which is a great Mess sport conducted around the BS table. However, we all know that if we come to find ourselves on the wrong side of the Crack/Thump I'll be more than happy to have a Canadian Infanteer watching my back regardeless of what capbadge he's wearing.
So, let politicians wail, let the media pontificate. Just know that and trust that for this Misson to succeed the best people in the world are on the job, the Canadian Infantryman.
Old 12-08-07, 05:08

Afghan insurgent attack injures 5 Canadians
Updated Sat. Aug. 11 2007 10:12 PM ET
Canadian Press
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan -- Five Canadian soldiers were slightly injured on Sunday when their convoy was attacked by a roadside bomb and rocket-propelled grenades.
Lt.-Cmdr. Hubert Genest says the victims were in an RG31 light-amoured vehicle in a supply convoy when they were ambushed about 13 kilometres west of Kandahar at 1:20 a.m. local time.
They had just supplied the Ma'sum Ghar base and were about halfway back to the base at Kandahar when they were attacked.
The injured were brought back to the Ma'sum Ghar camp where they are waiting to be transferred by helicopters to the hospital at the Kandahar base.

Old 12-08-07, 15:50

Injured Canadian soldiers airlifted to hospital
Updated Sun. Aug. 12 2007 8:54 AM ET
CTV.ca News Staff
Five Canadians soldiers, injured in a roadside attack, have been airlifted to a Kandahar hospital in southern Afghanistan.
Military officials say the soldiers suffered non-life threatening injuries when their convoy was hit by a roadside bomb and rocket-propelled grenades on Saturday.
The troops were travelling in a RG31 light-armoured vehicle when they were ambushed about 13 kilometres west of Kandahar.
CTV's Danelle Balfour told CTV Newsnet on Sunday that the wounded soldiers belonged to the National Support Element, who generally remain on the base unless supplies and soldiers are needed elsewhere.
The soldiers had just supplied the Ma'sum Ghar base and were halfway back to the base at Kandahar when they were attacked.
Four soldiers -- three of them part of the U.S.-led coalition, one of them NATO -- were killed Sunday in separate combat incidents in eastern Afghanistan, according to coalition and NATO statements.
A total of 37 Canadian soldiers and one diplomat have died in bombings in Afghanistan.
With files from the Associated Press and the Canadian Press

Afghan army waiting for promised arms from Canada
Updated Sun. Aug. 12 2007 8:12 AM ET
Canadian Press
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan -- Toting obsolete equipment and an arsenal dating back to the Soviet era, the Afghan National Army says it's waiting for modern weapons promised by Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor.
The Afghan army, which Canada is counting on to take over fighting against the Taliban in coming months, still has yet to receive C-7 assault rifles and ammunition the Canadian government pledged to deliver, said Lt.-Col. Sherinshaw Khobandi.
In Ottawa, a Defence Ministry spokesman confirmed that supplies for the Afghan National Army are planned, but declined to specify a date when they will be delivered.
Khobandi said O'Connor should have replenished the arsenal, at least in part, during his last visit. O'Connor's last public trip to Afghanistan was in March.
"We had a good talk with him," he said through an interpreter during a visit to the Kandahar multinational base on Saturday.
"I suggested that he could help us with some weapons and some ammunition. His recommendation was that within the next few months, he'll supply us with brand new equipment from(the) Canadian Forces."
The C-7 delivery delay has slowed the preparation of Afghan recruits and stalled their takeover of combat operations against the Taliban.
For now, Afghan soldiers must rely on Soviet-era weapons, such as the Kalashnikov AK-47.
At best, the AK-47s are not as precise and have a shorter range than the C-7, which is the Canadian version of the American M-16.
Khobandi is waiting for the weapons with impatience.
"I'm hoping and waiting for that day (to) come," he said.
"So that we can work together with the Canadian Forces, with their new equipment and then we'll be trained with the new Canadian equipment for future operations."
In the meantime, the Afghan military has a lot of work to do before it can match the firepower and challenge insurgents in place of Canadian troops.
In Kandahar province, less than 500 men are sufficiently trained and ready for combat.
Canada's new tactical group commander in the Kandahar province, Lt.-Col. Alain Gauthier, remains optimistic.
Gauthier said Afghan soldiers will have sufficient numbers and will be adequately trained to secure districts around Kandahar City.
"This will permit us (the Canadian military) to enlarge our field of action farther into the province," said Gauthier, who replaced Lt.-Col. Rob Walker.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew..._name=&no_ads=
Old 12-08-07, 16:00

Quote:
Originally posted by John McGillivray
Afghan army waiting for promised arms from Canada
Updated Sun. Aug. 12 2007 8:12 AM ET
Canadian Press
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan -- Toting obsolete equipment and an arsenal dating back to the Soviet era, the Afghan National Army says it's waiting for modern weapons promised by Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor.
The Afghan army, which Canada is counting on to take over fighting against the Taliban in coming months, still has yet to receive C-7 assault rifles and ammunition the Canadian government pledged to deliver, said Lt.-Col. Sherinshaw Khobandi.....
Someone at Diemaco/Colt Canada has to be jumping up & down right about now...
Old 12-08-07, 16:21

Quote:
Someone at Diemaco/Colt Canada has to be jumping up & down right about now...
The C7s may be second hand, since the CF appears to be changing over to the C8.
Old 12-08-07, 18:39

Two injured Canadian soldiers leave hospital
Updated Sun. Aug. 12 2007 12:23 PM ET
CTV.ca News Staff
Five Canadian soldiers were injured when their convoy rolled over a roadside bomb in southern Afghanistan on Sunday.
Military officials say the soldiers suffered non-life threatening injuries when their convoy was hit by a roadside bomb and rocket-propelled grenades on Sunday.
Brig.-Gen. Guy Laroche, who visited the wounded soldiers, said their injuries were not serious.
Two of the soldiers have already left the hospital and returned to their units, Laroche said.
Four of the soldiers are from Quebec, including one from Montreal, two from Laval and another one from Valcartier. The fifth one is from Moncton, N.B.
The troops were travelling in a RG31 light-armoured vehicle when they were ambushed about 13 kilometres west of Kandahar.
CTV's Danelle Balfour told CTV Newsnet on Sunday that the wounded soldiers belonged to the National Support Element, who generally remain on the base unless supplies and soldiers are needed elsewhere.
The soldiers had just supplied the Ma'sum Ghar base and were halfway back to the base at Kandahar when they were attacked.
Three U.S. soldiers died Sunday in roadside bombing in eastern Afghanistan, bringing the number of international soldiers killed over the weekend to six.
The soldiers were engaged in combat in the Nangarhar province when their vehicle struck an explosive device. A civilian interpreter was also killed.
Of the 66 military personnel and one diplomat killed in Afghanistan since the mission began in 2002, 37 have died in bombings.
With files from the Associated Press and the Canadian Press

Old 12-08-07, 18:50

Default DAMMIT!!

Goddam media just CAN'T leave that alone! They wouldn't have said "Four of the soldiers are from Alberta, including one from Edmonton...." etc.

I'm going to write CTV a nastygram giving them Royal Shite this afternoon AND cnews (it's on there too)... I don't give a damn whether they get their feeds from CP or the News Fairy, this is JUST...NOT...RIGHT!
Old 16-08-07, 02:48

Hi

The one from Moncton is an 8th Canadian Hussar (the unit I'm RSS to) and he's OK. Just a little shook up and even less bruised. He's a good troop and let's say that John's Son should know him.

Oh, and I'm home!!!!

regards
Darrell
Old 16-08-07, 03:19

Default welcome back Darrell

Are you any relation to Roy "Head-Like-A-Forty-Pound-Smartie, Big-Like-Locomotive, Smart-Like-Dump Truck" Zinck. Ex of 1Bn NSHighrs(N)? Just wondering.
Glad to hear the Trooper from your locale will be OK, in fact, it's good news that all of those involved in the latest brew-up were'nt more seriously hurt. Hopefully this ends the "Backstage Jitters" stage and the BG can move forward with a little more confidence.
Anyways, welcome home, kick back, have a couple of wobbly-pops, and then get ready for another action packed training year.

Cheers