MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > Post-war Military Vehicles

Notices

Old 04-08-13, 14:16

Default Ferret, a question of morality or reality check

Gents,

I am in an awful bind and seek the wisdom of my peers here assembled.

I am fast coming to the opinion that while my lady and I own 2 Canadian Ferrets that only one will go back together.

The second one is looking to me to be the best long term spares supply a man or woman could want for all the heavy expensive bits that could ever break. Bear in mind that at 51 years old and while employed I am not uber wealthy.

When you consider the cost of trans-atlantic shipping and the dubious long term supply of large assemblies in any kind of good condition I look at all the parts on the second vehicle as a gift horse. To me it should be stripped and all parts catalogued and stored after the best items between the two go into the rebuild.

I did have plans to restore and sell the second Ferret but I doubt time will allow that.

Right now we are heading in to winter real soon, I have plans to build a garage this fall but have to achieve that still.

Honestly, for the rebuild of my preferred choice call sign 31 Ferret to have spares around makes the vehicle worth more to me and supportable. In a strange way taking the second one out of circulation also makes c/s 31 more valuable.

I am quite a purist so could never take a gas axe to the second hull but what am I to do?

There are a number of different sides to this coin, fair discussion sought.

be gentle but forthright!

R
Old 04-08-13, 18:57
Gilles Chartrand

Default To Ferret or not 2 Ferrets

Hi Robin
We talked today and I agree with your observation rebuild one use the other for spares. Unfortunately we cannot save them all, we want to and try but!!!!!.
I recently bought a Cdn 5/4 ton and was palnning on restoring it but I ended up trading the Cdn truck for a US M1008 to be used as a spare truck. Well Murphy's luck spoke and about a month later Carolle's ambulance (M1010) sputtered to a stop they injection pump was N/S, we took the part off the spare saved about $1500 and I still have the remainder of the truck.
The price of restoring an older vehicle is escalating faster than our wallets can fill, so I recommend put the second ferret in storage and use it as a spare parts vehicle, you can also sell some parts it will help pay the restoration.
We spoke and if you require a place to store the spare you can store it at our yard, we are fairly close and you can easilycommute for spare parts that you require. P.S. storage is free as long as the area around it is kept neat and tidy.
We can remove major components such as motor, transmissions etc we have a heavy lift capability and we have the tools. I say we have the tools as long as they are not those weird British tool sizes (BSA)!!!!
Also as we spoke I can get containers at a good price.
Let me know, also I am off on Tuesday and would like to go and see you if you are free.
Gilles+
Old 04-08-13, 19:20
carrier mech

When I bought my M-135 last year, I also sourced another M135 just for parts. Well worth the money just in small stuff, some of which I have used on my MLVW project as well.

But a Cdn ferret: Only 124 of them in the first place. However, as long as you keep the torches away from the hull, a guy in the future can always cannibalize a British ferret (still somewhat plentiful) and transplant the powertrain and accessories into the Canadian hull. That was how I assembled my ferret. Besides, the Cdn powertrains are usually fairly clapped out, whereas the British powertrains are fresher. Ours were generally driven hard, and after being out of service for some 30 years, need a lot of work, as I am sure you are already finding out.
Old 04-08-13, 21:16
Member since 1998

Default Ferret

Hi Robin,
Keep both and restore one. My opinion only.
I rebuilt one here in Australia and a complete second one for spares would have been real handy and save alot of time and money.

My finished Ferret 115302 did over 5000 miles on Club rallys and general use over 5 years. One weekend run to York and surrounding towns racked up over 500 miles.

Things to get right on a Ferret,
Tight tollerances in the sun and planet gears and the plates holding them in.

A modern exhaust system from the manifold thru the hull.

The right oil in the right places, and lots of it.

Keep the oil topped up in the bevel boxes and use a thickening additive or Landrover one shot grease.

Remove that bypass valve out of the oil filter top or weld it in....

Regards,
Wayne.
Old 05-08-13, 04:11
Terry Warner

Default Keep one running with the second

I had a M38A1 CDN2 fall into my lap with a pile of spares for a price I couldn't refuse. Since then, I have scrounged parts off it for the M38A1 CDN3 that is in better shape. Guys in our Jeep gang have swapped many parts from the donor - their bad condition parts for my better parts. If I've helped anyone it is to everyone's advantage.

So, the guy with two Ferrets is a lucky man! Keep both, but keep them weatherproofed so they don't both deteriorate.

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 05-08-13, 12:01

Gents,

Thanks for the replies and the logic. You all appear to be of sound mind and reasoning.

Yes Rob I will keep the big blue wrench away from the hull. Yes the spare will get dry stored, maybe at the Merrickville Military Museum and Maintenance Facility (Carole & Gilles place) who knows.

Thanks for being my sounding board and moral conscience.

R
Old 28-11-15, 21:25

Robin whatever happened to your other vehicle?
Old 28-11-15, 23:15

My second vehicle is still sitting awaiting stripping of the wheel stations and other bits before the bare hull is surplused.

I have had a few enquiries about it and I am willing to sell it or gift it to my best mate.

Open to suggestions and offers backed up with cash in the hand not promises in the air that wont pay my bills.

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 29-11-15, 20:31

Any photos around ?
Old 29-11-15, 21:32

Sam

see here

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/sh...960#post216960

Home of the Maple Leaf Adapter
2 Canadian Mk1 Ferrets
Kawasaki KLR250 CFR 95-10908 ex PPCLI
Canadair CL70 CFR 58-91588
Armstrong MT500 serial CFR 86-78530
Two Canam 250s
Land Rover S3 Commanders Caravan Carawagon 16 GN 07
Trailer Cargo 3/4 T 2WHD 38 GJ 62
Old 01-12-15, 04:43

Default Restore one

I'd rather see one properly restored, rather than two sitting in the yard, never quite getting there. Save all of what you think you will need now and in the future and pass the hull on to someone else who may have the other bits needed for a good restoration.

I am guilty of having a small fleet of M37s in my possession and realistically, only one will ever be 'restored' and another might get running. The others should go to someone with the time and energy to get them back on the road for us all to enjoy. I have a problem with parting with stuff that I am fond of and only recently have become acutely aware of how much one person can get done in a day.
Old 01-12-15, 19:12
Frankencarrier owner

Maybe a regimental association somewhere will buy up an empty but rolling hull as a monument candidate? It would still serve a useful and valuable role.