MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 17-02-12, 14:42

Default Dodge D3/4 APT army identification

Hi all, my friend in Czech Republic bought Dodge D3/4 APT, probably originally served in some European army. This Dodge carried older wide body, we have only tail panel from body now. The only marking we found is white number 5905752 in the center of tail panel, the original one in 2'' high numbers, younger version was 4'' high. Is it possible to say what army used this style of numbering? Norwegian or other?
Old 17-02-12, 21:12
MLU Administrator

Hi Pavel,

Welcome to this forum. Please give a short introduction about yourself when posting here for the first time.

As far as I know, the APT was not used during the war,but a number were supplied to countries across Europe to help rebuilding the transportation systems.

Regards,
Hanno
Old 20-02-12, 10:53

Hi Hanno, what to say about me, I am modeller and I am building mostly 1/72 kits of WW2 period, but I many years cooperate with Czech MV collectors. My friends own large collection mostly US and British types, like Jeeps, Dodges 3/4 ton, Fords GTB, Mack NO, Fordsons WOT-3 and WOT-2, M5 High Speed Tractor and others. There are also some Canadian types, not only the mentioned APT, but also Dodge T-110, CMP C60L, C8A and C60 with No 11 cab. I think we discuss few years ago british GS trailer 1 ton.

About Dodge APT - yes I know, that probably never served in WW2, I am surprised how few period photos are for this type, I know only two from post-war Canadian army. We are mostly sure, that this particular APT served somewhere in Europe, but we are trying to find where.
Old 20-02-12, 19:35

Default APT pics Camp Vernon 1949

Agreed, I can't find any 1944-5 pictures of an APT in Europe. Here are 2 pictures from Camp Vernon cadets using APT's for signals training. They appear to be a dark green, I see RCD logos and the Canadian DND numbering system post war. 86-490

They used APT's until at least until 1953 when M37's began to replace them.

I found a picture of a restored unit of an APT in Europe. No original WW2 pictures as of yet. Still looking.

Walde
Vancouver BC
Canada
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vernon_1949_origphotos_PA_22.jpg (74.4 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Vernon_1949_origphotos_PA_23.jpg (95.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 47537.jpg (70.3 KB, 94 views)
Old 21-02-12, 11:23

And any post-war European photos? I mean from army service, not preserved vehicles. Unfortunately on my friend's APT is missing every part used for marking, it means hood, bumpers and body. The only one is upper mentioned tail panel.
Old 22-02-12, 01:22
Dave Good

So Walde how is your project coming along ??