MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 24-06-12, 05:15
John W.

Default Liberty Auto Restoration - M29/C Studebaker Weasel Tracks

G'day All,
Just a general interest post for anyone contemplating owning an M29/C Studebaker Weasel in the future . In the past most weasels were destined to become garden orniments due to the deterioration/wear/tear of their OEM tracks. Fortunately Liberty Auto Restorations in the US of A is reproducing new tracks for the Weasel based on the Abilliary track design. See photo. As the Aussi dollar was at a record high against the US dollar I took the opportunity to purchase a set of LAR tracks of which I have just taken delivery of. They are well constructed and are of a robust design. I can't attest to their virtues as yet as my weasel is still in kit form I am led to believe by feedback by other owners of LAR track that the track is hard wearing and good (to date) for 1600kms. I purchased the LAR track so that I could have piece of mind that I won't suffer a track breakage when running at speed on a hard surface and also, when the weasel is in Amphibious mode, I won't lose a track in the murray river
BTW the shipping cost was $2828AUD door to door. This included $1K of GST. I thought the shipping cost was fair and reasonable. I was exempt from paying duty under the terms of the US/Australia free trade agreement.
Moderator please move this post to the correct forum if this forum is not appropriate.
Cheers
John W.
Attached Thumbnails
EPF12.JPG   SAM_3885.jpg  
Old 24-06-12, 13:52

I hope these have been made in the US of A and not sub-contracted out to someone in China.

There are some less than long lasting BV206 tracks around that just don't last at all.

Good luck

R
Old 25-06-12, 01:49
John W.

Hi Robin,
Fortunately I can honestly say that they are fully manufactured in the US of A and assembled in house at Liberty Auto Restoration, Elk Horn Iowa;
http://www.libertyar.com/Content/Home.aspx
IMHO I don't think that there would be sufficient demand for the LAR weasel tracks to manufactured in China.
Cheers
John W.
Old 26-06-12, 04:11
Terry Warner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozm29c View Post
BTW the shipping cost was $2828AUD door to door. This included $1K of GST.
Cheers
John W.
What percentage is your GST? It looks positively abhorent!

- 74-????? M151A2
- 70-08876 M38A1
- 53-71233 M100CDN trailer

Beware! The Green Disease walks among us!
Old 26-06-12, 06:33
John W.

Hi Terry,
Ready to be shocked The pair of tracks and four sprockets amounted to $10K USD neat so that's what the GST was based upon, 10% of that figure. At the time of purchase our Aussi Dollar was just above parity as compared with the USD. I guess that was a small comfort.
Cheers
John W.