MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 23-04-07, 10:40

Default Aussie LAA MG mount questions

Hi Guys. Tony Smith kindly sent me a couple of good photos of the pole mount for the LMG (I assume a bren gun) on soft skin vehicles.

Now I can see the rope holder with the clip on the end and then it goes up and through the pulley before disappearing into the slot in the pole.

Where does it go after it enters that slot?

Also how does the MG mount on the rope? Can it be left mounted without someone holding it as well? Does anyone have any clear photos I could have copies of showing the MG in place?

Yes you guessed it I want to dress up the #9 FAT by mounting a Bren on the mount .

Photo by Tony Smith
Attached Thumbnails
img_4105.jpg  

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 23-04-07, 12:16

Hi Cliff, I know this truck and its owner (Noel Patrick). so I can tell you a little about it.The cable runs on the pulleys and down through the slot and is connected to a counter weight that slides up and down inside the pole.From memory, I think its 6 or 8 inches long and weighs 1 or 2 Kgs. The clip on the lifting end wont balance anything so I think you would have to man handle any weapons.It would be interesting to see a photo of it in use P.S. Noel thought it was for lifting the spare wheel down
44 REO US6
45 REO US6
45 Studebaker US6
Old 23-04-07, 12:54

Thank You David. Well I won't need to do the counterweight part but can just thread the rope into a hole drilled in the side of the mount on my model.

I too would like a photo or two with it in use to see just how well it worked.

Cheers
Cliff

PS> Noels' truck looks real nice from the photos I have seen

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 23-04-07, 13:03
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

The STEEL cable is attached to the semi-circular clip, which is tied to the pole by a HEMP rope.

THe BREN's centre of gravity is just below the carrying handle. This part of the barrel has a space between the barrel and receiver to pass the Clip through and under the barrel. The BREN would hang there nicely, but on a moving vehicle would swing about wildly.
Attached Thumbnails
bren_gun.jpg  
Old 23-04-07, 13:05
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

The profile of the barrel at that point would mean that, provided the clip was wide enough to "fill" the shape, the clip could not slide along the barrel and away from the CoG.
Attached Thumbnails
xb2025-4.jpg  
Old 23-04-07, 13:14
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

Quote:
Originally posted by David Knox
The cable ...... is connected to a counter weight ...... that weighs 1 or 2 Kgs. The clip on the lifting end won't balance anything so I think you would have to man handle any weapons.
As the BREN weighs 23.1lbs, or 10.5kgs, I don't think the counterweight would be anywhere near capable of counterbalancing the weight. I presume this is the stowed position of the Gallows, and that you would use the clamps on the side to raise the frame and secure it in place at an appropriate height above the gunner's hatch. I wonder if any of the clamps also lock the cable into place at a comfortable height for the gun?
PS Please add my congrats to Noel on such a nice truck!
Attached Thumbnails
img_4104.jpg