MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 21-08-18, 02:37

Default What is this bracket?

While looking for a truck to buy I found photos of Internationals with door brackets. What are they for?

Lang
Attached Thumbnails
International Alice5.JPG   International Alice2.JPG   International Alice3.JPG  
Old 21-08-18, 05:01

Default Canvas Water Bag mounting.

Canvas water bag. The military version had a short length of rope stitched across the bottom which extended past each bottom corner, the running ends were tied to the small loops welded into the bottom corners of the frame to stop the bag 'flapping' too much in the frame. The loop can be just seen in the 'R55'/ Inter-with-bonnet-up image.

Canvas water bags of official issue had a D^D mark, and a ceramic spout with a cork with string retainer. They hung from the cross-rod at the top of the frame by a set of leather loops (three of four, from memory) with fasteners so they could be detached from the cross-rod. Only ever seen/had one.

The frame had a cross-rod at the top which had a washer welded at one end, and the other end a washer with split pin. Frame fabricated from flat strap and bolted directly to the door with three bolts.

Fitted to all manner of vehicles - utilities, vans, lorries and trucks. My '41 Ford 11Y had one, for example. Not sure of Dinger Belfield fitted it after he obtained the ute from me - others who have seen the vehicle can possibly enlighten me.

Mike
Old 21-08-18, 05:51

Thankyou Mike

Lang

PS. I am looking at a couple of Inters in the next week or so. I would like to put on the bracket if I get a full-door model. You don't have a photo or even a thumbnail sketch of what the bags looked like so I can make one up for the job?

Last edited by Lang; 21-08-18 at 11:16.
Old 13-09-18, 20:27

Sorry Lang, I don't have either, but I can try and sketch something from memory if that would help.

The water bag probably went to someone in the Yass area, as the Yass-ites purchased much of the militaria before we left for the USA.

Mike
Old 13-09-18, 22:17

Thanks Mike

I am starting to find a few prospects from my travels last week (about a dozen k5/kb5 in various states of repair including a couple of army soft tops).

Lang