MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 01-05-13, 08:25

Default CMP differences: Ford vs Chevrolet

1: Are the headlights on CMP Chevy and ford the same?

2: Ford had the starting crank handle mounted at the rear inside the cab- what about chevy?

3: I have seen clips and hooks mounted on the inside of the cabs rear panel where the roof is mounted on the rear panel piece, what were these for? Ford only?

Sven
Old 01-05-13, 16:40

Hello Sven

1) I believe the lamp assemblies can be swapped out but the trim rings are different.

2) Not familiar with that item.

3) Depends on what hooks/clips you are referring to in that general area. You will find clips for two Lee Enfield Rifles, hooks for the canvas stowage bag for the Side Curtains and Vehicle Manuals and clips for a First Aid Kit. These are fairly common to all CMPs but some specialty vehicles may possess other clips/hooks/brackets.

Hope that doesn't confuse you too much!

David
Old 01-05-13, 18:22

Default Canvas bag hooks

Hi David.

Thanks for the reply.

Rearding #3 - Its the hooks for the canvas bags I am refering to. I have seen different types of set ups for this. 4 hooks and some metal clips with holes???

Does anyone have Pictures of this hooks and clips mounted???

Svenn
Old 01-05-13, 21:30

Hello again, Svenn.

The Curtain Bag hung on the 4 larger hooks. The Parts Manual does not show special hardware for them and as I recall, they were mounted with the bolts attaching the roof assembly to the rear cab wall, roughly centred on the back wall. Maximum spacing was close to the width of the Cab 13 door. There was a difference between the Chev and Ford Curtain Bag hooks. Chev I think were curved, whereas the Ford hook was more angular. I am sure someone can confirm that with photos for you.

Initially, the First Aid Kit was hung on a single smaller hook (again with no special hardware) to the left side of the Curtain Bag. At some point in production, the single hook fitting for the First Aid Kit was replaced with a pair of hooks. They were assigned different stock numbers so I suspect they were not identical hooks.

David
Old 11-05-13, 10:16

Heres the bits and parts i have from a Ford.

My C15A had fire ext bracket on the rear wall, and had a couple of the Clips With the holes but no hooks for Storage bag.

Seems odd if the storage bag was hung up in front of the fire ext??

No info on the Chevy starting crank handle???

svenn
Attached Thumbnails
10513 011.jpg   10513 008.jpg   10513 009.jpg   10513 010.jpg   10513 012.jpg  

Old 11-05-13, 15:01
HUP guy

Default fire extinguisher mounting

Hi Svenn,

On some of the Chevs the fire extinguisher was mounted on top of the engine cover. If you find 6 holes there if may have been for that.

Brian
Old 11-05-13, 19:19

Hi Svenn.

What my aging eyes see in the photos you posted are the large clips for the Enfields, a set of four Ford Side Curtain Bag clips, one version of the First Aid Kit stowage clips and the large item in the last photo is a mystery to me.

I think the Chev crank handle is a one piece heavy steel bar and it was stored with the rest of the vehicle tools in whatever outside storage bins the particular Chev was equipped with, so there should not be any handle brackets for it.

As for the Fire Extinguisher being stored behind the Side Curtain Bag, that may in fact have been the last place a Fire Extinguisher was mounted, but not the original place. As Brian suggested, check elsewhere in the cab for a set of holes that matches up with the bracket. It could very well be that over time in service, the Side Curtain Bags became redundant and their use was discontinued. That would have left the rear wall of the cab open for anything to be mounted there.

Regards,

David
Old 12-05-13, 04:50

Thumbs up Curtain bag hooks....

Hi Sven: Here are some photos of my C60L......Robert
Attached Thumbnails
DSC08895.JPG   DSC08894.JPG   DSC08896.JPG  
Old 12-05-13, 04:54

Thumbs up Curtain bags......

Sven.....here are a couple of different curtain bags I have......Robert
Attached Thumbnails
DSC08897.JPG   DSC08898.JPG   DSC08899.JPG   DSC08900.JPG  
Old 12-05-13, 10:19

Hi guys.

Thanks for the replies.

Heres a picture of the fire-ext bracket i mounted in the holes on my back panel. The holes are not custom drilled out, but factory made, I am 100% sure!

Could be a water truck issue?? Could bracket have been mounted on the outside?

Svenn
Attached Thumbnails
120513 001.jpg  

Last edited by Svenn Ryen; 12-05-13 at 10:33.
Old 12-05-13, 10:40

Hi David...dont blame your age for seeing the rifle brackets when not having some size references.

Heres is a scetch of what i found on the F60 i got some parts from. All holes looked factory done.

And heres som Pictures of the clamps....showing the crank in them and a special picture for you David together with the rifle bracket

The little plate was for getting all clamps at same "level".

Svenn
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1018.jpg   IMG_1019.jpg   IMG_1020.jpg  
Old 12-05-13, 10:43

Default storage bag drawings??

BTW- any drawings for the Storage bags available?

Svenn
Old 12-05-13, 11:14

Default Question about part used to held the gun

Hello

I use the opportunity of these thread to ask you a question about the parts used to held the upper of gun.
I am actually restoring a HUP and some of these parts are very rusty and I have observed that the coat of paint is very deep as showed in the associated pic.
I am sure that it is not "normal" paint but what is the coat used?

Regards Serge
Attached Thumbnails
SUPPORT FUSIL_1.JPG  
Old 12-05-13, 11:35

Looked through my pictures.

Found this picture of a 43 model C15. It has the holes for the fire ext as well. It had the spare wheel carrier - so no room for a bracket on the outside.

Svenn
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0855.jpg  
Old 12-05-13, 11:38

Default Position of extingwish in f60l

Hello

In my previous post , I have writen an erroneous word about the parts helding the upper part of gun.
I would say about the paint that these one was very thick so I think that it is a special paint but what kind ???
To answer to the post of SVEN I join a pic of the fire extinghuish of my F60L and the holes match with the bracket. This one is situated behind the driver chair.
I join also a pic of the bracket for upper part of gun (F60L) which is different of those used on F15.
Attached Thumbnails
PORTE_EXTINCTEUR_1.jpg   PORTE_FUSIL_2.jpg  
Old 12-05-13, 16:12
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.morrison View Post
Sven.....here are a couple of different curtain bags I have......Robert
Thanks!

So which one is the Chev one and which is the Ford one?!?

Old 18-05-13, 17:25

Default Hanno

This is the first time I have seen two different styles of Side Curtain Stowage Bags and it actually answers a question I had from when I owned my C15A Wireless Truck. It was equipped with the curved style Stowage Bag hooks in the cab and the NOS Bag I found was the second pattern shown, with the flat leather straps fitted to the back of it. It never hung properly on the curved Chev hooks. When you slid the leather straps over the hooks, the upper portion of the bag was cocked forward at a 45 degree angle and the design made no sense to me at all.

The first pattern bag shown, with the canvas straps and metal rings would hang perfectly with the curved 'Chev' hooks, and I suspect the leather strap bag was designed for the flatter, angular, 'Ford' hooks.

When I think of it, whenever I used to see an MB/GPW, M38, M151 or any other soft top military vehicle in service on the road in nice weather, I do not ever recall seeing all the canvas top bits properly stowed where they are supposed to be on the vehicle, when not in use. The vehicle was bare, so the canvas bits must have been left on Base somewhere until needed. The CMP side curtains and related stowage bags may have gone the same route in the later years the CMP's were still in service. They were probably all piled up in stores until the weather determined they should be installed and the bags fell into disuse. If the bags were Ford and Chev specific as well, that may have helped accelerate their disuse: too hard to match up dwindling stock. Maybe Rob Love and others with outstanding service careers can enlighten us on the military policy for care and stowage of canvas vehicle bits.

David
Old 01-09-13, 19:24
MLU Administrator

Cross posting to Cab 13 Storage Bag - see how the storage / stowage bag hangs off the hooks on this C15A.

Old 01-09-13, 19:26
MLU Administrator

Differences between Chevrolet hooks:

Rounded (1st pic) and squarish (2nd pic):

Old 01-09-13, 19:32
MLU Administrator

Differences between Ford hooks:

Long (1st pic) and short (2nd pic, on Derk's truck):

Old 01-09-13, 20:08
MLU Administrator

Default David

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dunlop View Post
This is the first time I have seen two different styles of Side Curtain Stowage Bags and it actually answers a question I had from when I owned my C15A Wireless Truck. It was equipped with the curved style Stowage Bag hooks in the cab and the NOS Bag I found was the second pattern shown, with the flat leather straps fitted to the back of it. It never hung properly on the curved Chev hooks. When you slid the leather straps over the hooks, the upper portion of the bag was cocked forward at a 45 degree angle and the design made no sense to me at all.

The first pattern bag shown, with the canvas straps and metal rings would hang perfectly with the curved 'Chev' hooks, and I suspect the leather strap bag was designed for the flatter, angular, 'Ford' hooks.
David,

Today I checked the bag I have (with the brass eyelets) and it doesn't fit quite right in my Ford F15A. I noted there are two types of hooks on both Fords and Chevrolets - see my postings above - and my F15A has the shorter of the two Ford hooks. In my opinion, the bag hangs too high. If the side screens are in the bag, the top of the bag protudes above the lower edge of the rear window.

Also, the first pattern bag with the brass eyelets has a strap on the bottom, but my Ford does not have anything fitted to the floor / lower cab edge where the strap could be fitted through. Can anyne with a Chevrolet check if there is some kind of eyelet on the cab floor?

So I agree with you: the first pattern bag shown, with the canvas straps and brass eyelets would fit the Chevrolet hooks, the second pattern with two rows of canvas straps would (better) fit the flatter, angular, hooks in the Ford cab.

Can anyone confirm / add to this?

Hanno
  • First pattern - for Chevrolet?

• Second pattern - for Ford?
Old 01-09-13, 21:57
MLU Administrator

Speaking of storage / stowage bags, the spare parts list lists this item as BAG ASSY, Curtain. It came in Matte Green, Brown and Light Stone (with different part numbers). Attached goes a picture of my NOS seat cushion in Matte Green (see seat colours) and NOS curtain bag - is this a variation of Matte Green or Light Stone?!?

H.

Old 15-09-13, 14:35

Default Curtain bags-first aid kit

Hello guys,

I have owned a F-15A GS for nearly a year now and i confirm that the second type bag with the leather straps fits awesome on the angular hooks of the Ford 13 Cab. 100's of KM driven with the curtains inside the bag in summer because you never know when it is going to rain and they fit just right you almost forget about them.The small pocket in front of the bag is just right for registration, roadmaps , keys of the chain and tool lockers and whatever else you don't want rattling around an already noisy and cramped cabin.

Where do you think i could get my hands on the first aid kit and hooks that goes on the right of the cabin besides the window curtain bag wich was alluded in this tread ?

Thanks a lot,

Robert
94 LSVW
Old 15-08-18, 17:11

Default curtain bag's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanno Spoelstra View Post
David,

Today I checked the bag I have (with the brass eyelets) and it doesn't fit quite right in my Ford F15A. I noted there are two types of hooks on both Fords and Chevrolets - see my postings above - and my F15A has the shorter of the two Ford hooks. In my opinion, the bag hangs too high. If the side screens are in the bag, the top of the bag protudes above the lower edge of the rear window.

Also, the first pattern bag with the brass eyelets has a strap on the bottom, but my Ford does not have anything fitted to the floor / lower cab edge where the strap could be fitted through. Can anyne with a Chevrolet check if there is some kind of eyelet on the cab floor?

So I agree with you: the first pattern bag shown, with the canvas straps and brass eyelets would fit the Chevrolet hooks, the second pattern with two rows of canvas straps would (better) fit the flatter, angular, hooks in the Ford cab.

Can anyone confirm / add to this?

Hanno
  • First pattern - for Chevrolet?

• Second pattern - for Ford?

Hey Hanno

I think this might be the solution to your question for the curtain bag with a strap at the bottom.

the following pictures were taken in a c15a 13 cab of 1944.

here on the bottom of the rear wall a footman loop is mounted probably to attach the belt.

also as you can see, this has round hooks to hang the bag.

guy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0029.jpg   IMAG0030.jpg   IMAG0031.jpg  
Old 15-08-18, 21:52
MLU Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Verstrepen View Post
I think this might be the solution to your question for the curtain bag with a strap at the bottom.

the following pictures were taken in a c15a 13 cab of 1944.

here on the bottom of the rear wall a footman loop is mounted probably to attach the belt.

also as you can see, this has round hooks to hang the bag.
Hey Guy,

I think you are right: the strap at the bottom of the Chevrolet curtain bag certainly matches the footman loop at the rear cab wall.

Thanks,
Hanno
Old 16-08-18, 08:20

Headlights are different , and not even interchangeable.
Old 16-08-18, 09:48
F60S

Default First aid bag

Can anyone provide a picture of the first aid bag for a F60S please?
I have the sidescreen bag, its hooks and the brackets for the first aid bag but no bag.
Alastair
1944 F60S (work in progress)