MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > GENERAL WW2 TOPICS > The Wireless Forum

Notices

Old 25-02-16, 01:51

Default Wireless Set No 52 Canadian Production

Is anyone familiar with the production history of this Wireless Set?

It was an offshoot of Marconi Canada's efforts to improve the Wireless Set No.9, which had resulted in so many improvements/changes, the initial production was redesigned the Wireless Set No. 52 Canadian. What puzzles me is the ID plates used on the four major components: Receiver, PSU, Transmitter and Coil, Aerial Tuning Unit. In particular, the receiver.

The main set receiver has an ID plate on the front of it identifying the item as: Receiver, Wireless Set Canadian No. 52.

Somewhere years ago, I have seen a remote receiver assembly with an ID plate on the front of it showing either, "Receiver Remote, Wireless Set Canadian No. 52" or, Remote Receiver, Wireless Set Canadian No. 52".

The remote and main set receivers are virtually identical in design and can apparently be swapped out for one another with no problem.

In the past year or two, several remote receivers have showed up for sale in different locations on the internet and all of them are completely lacking in data plates. Screws can be seen on the front panel blanking out the holes where the data plate would normally be attached. Not sure if this represents, a production change, or is simply a result of post military service souvenir hunting, or perhaps a shortage of receivers at some point so remote units were put into service in main sets and the ID plates removed to avoid confusion.

Not sure how many 52 Set experts are out there compared to the 19-Set and others, but thought I would toss it out in case somebody has information to share.

Cheers,

David
Old 25-02-16, 09:17
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

The WS52 began life in 1943 as the WS9 Mk II. In January 1944 the set was renamed the WS52 to avoid confusion with the earlier #9 sets. The first shipment to the UK was 79 sets and these went to the UK War Dept. A total of 475 sets were ordered with most going to 21st Army Group. Canadian demands were made from British stores.

These were used for bgd/div level, ASSU units and in LCVs. Having a stand alone receiver gave the ability to monitor your signal when operating remotely. Also could monitor other radio nets.

Nothing definite on why plates were removed unless they were initially badged as WS9 MK II. Plates removed but not replaced.

Nice set being used into the 1950s.
Old 26-02-16, 02:37

Thanks, Bruce.

Any indication if the production number you mention was 52-set identified units or included earlier production No 9 Mk II sets as well? Seems a rather small run unless they 'hid' more complete sets in the spares inventory.

Not certain how many were still active in Canada at the time, but I have a Canadian Army publication with a date of 23 April 1963 that lists two M152Cdn vehicles with the 52-Set. One pure 52-set and the second a 19/52 combo setup.

David
Old 26-02-16, 17:36
a Canuck/Brit in Blighty

The 475 were part of an order for 639 sets. The initial shipment was destined for the CMHQ but diverted to UK needs. In fact the UK wanted all they could get, see photo.

Looking at serial numbers there were a lot made, into the thousands. Where they went isn't reported as my date cuts off in 1945. The Canadian Army used them in Korea and post war Germany. The installation instructions for my M152CDN was dated 1961. I couldn't find a 52 set so settled for a 19 set and two C42s in rebroadcast roll.

I wouldn't mind one but I'm getting to old to hump these around the shack!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ws52UK.jpg (101.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-12-16, 02:53

Default Wireless Set No 52 Canadian Production

Does any of you have clues about the serial number range of those 475/639 units ??
I am just trying to know the total quantity of Canadian WS # 52 made.
Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Jacques
Old 09-05-20, 22:38

A couple of years after Jacques’ query on this thread, regarding production numbers for the 52-Set, he started a Data Base of any known surviving 52-Set equipment to see what that would tell us. He sent me some preliminary results this afternoon.

The lowest Serial Number he has found to date is 5002 and the highest is 9006. That is a total known run so far of 4,004.

The complete number of sets so far is 11, but we are not certain if all of those have original Carriers No. 4. Further details to be determined on that.

By far the commonest item is the 52-Set Remote Receiver at 19. The ZE-12 Remote Receiver Supply is the least surviving item with a known count of only 3.

If anyone has a complete 52-Set, or components thereof, with surviving Data Plates on them, and has not provided the serial numbers to Jacques, can you please do so, and indicate if your complete set has the Carriers No. 4 with it.

Jacques is looking for Serial Numbers from the following components:

Receiver:
Supply Unit: (and if it has Workshop Rebuild stickers the Shop and year rebuilt.}
Sender:
Coil, Aerial Tuning:
Remote Supply (ZE-12):

A big thanks to all who have contributed so far!

David