MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 19-07-04, 22:46
Vets Dottir

Cool MLU Forum History: What/Who brought you here?

Greetings Fellow MLU-ers,

MLU is about history, and I thought it would be quite wonderful for us to learn a little history of MLU forum membership itself.

How did you find out about MLU?

What originally brought you to MLU?

How long have you been a member?

... and so forth.

I guess I'll start this one off.

I'm "Vets_Dottir" (I LOVE this handle best!)
aka "V_D"
aka"Carman",
aka "Karmen my original name"
aka "Little Miss Yappy etc"
aka "Pixie Witch"
aka (etc)

In early 2003, while researching family geneology and history, I started researching a particular Uncle, my Mom's brother, who served with the Canadian ... "Royal Winnipeg Rifles" and was murdered as a POW in Normandy in June 1944. I surfed many Military type sites and message boards looking for answers.

Someone left a message on a Legion website mentioning the MLU to someone else searching for information about something or other. I, of course, arrived here right after reading about it ... and the rest... is history

I joined this MLU Forum on March 2nd, 2003 ... it sure has attracted many many wonderful new members since I joined ... and more each day.

MLU website, and MLU forum ... IS a necessary Canadian Essential History Preservation and Education ... and almost daily FIX for many

Long may the MLU LIVE!

Vets_Dottir
Old 19-07-04, 23:53
AKA Roger Hull

Smile

I honestly don't remember when I started lurking here, but it's measured in years. I was using a search engine to find information on Universal Carriers and was refered here.

The people here are outstandingly gracious and knowledgeable and have been very helpeful to my search for information. Only rarely have I been able to contribute in return, much to my chagrin.

The Bren Gun is another of my areas of special interest and, perhaps, here I've been able to help a little.

I'm a Yank and I live in Las Vegas (Michigan born and raised) and hope no one will hold any of that against me

This is an outstanding forum and Geoff has my deepest gratitude for providing it.

Herr-Pear (An old Army nickname)
AKA
Roger Hull
Old 20-07-04, 00:47
Vets Dottir

Default Bravo!

Quote:
Originally posted by herr-pear
I honestly don't remember when I started lurking here, but it's measured in years. I was using a search engine to find information on Universal Carriers and was refered here.

The people here are outstandingly gracious and knowledgeable and have been very helpeful to my search for information. Only rarely have I been able to contribute in return, much to my chagrin.

The Bren Gun is another of my areas of special interest and, perhaps, here I've been able to help a little.

I'm a Yank and I live in Las Vegas (Michigan born and raised) and hope no one will hold any of that against me

This is an outstanding forum and Geoff has my deepest gratitude for providing it.

AKA
Roger Hull
Hi Roger...have I EVER said a real HELLO to you before? I think not, or not good enough or something ... HELLO! Very glad to YAP with you

I saw your reply and just had to jump back in here and say THAT, as well as thank you SO much for adding your story and thoughts. Your kind of reply is exactly the sorts of posts I hoped would happen, and I hope that everyone else will post too.

This thread I started was about my own genuine interest about how and why people find MLU, what they get out of it, and is sort of my own pushy little way of trying to give a little back to MLU by drawing out this good stuff for all of us to enjoy ... but most specially for the people who run and manage this forum ... a labour of love, of time, effort, energy, frustration, money. the running of MLU is an endless continuous task that asks nothing of us but good behavior toward each other (I try hard REALLY. I do!)

Nuf said

Old 20-07-04, 00:51
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: MLU Forum History: What/Who brought you here?

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D

I'm "Vets_Dottir" (I LOVE this handle best!)
aka "V_D"
aka"Carman",
aka "Karmen my original name"
aka "Little Miss Yappy etc"
aka "Pixie Witch"
aka (etc)
aka "Monkey Butt"
aka "Little Miss Yappy The Warrior Princess"
aka "Yapster"

Now back to the topic, What brought me here? That's a good question Karmen, and to tell you the truth, I really can't remember.

I used to post on the 'old' MLU Forum when there was a topic I knew about, but I wasn't a member. But when the format changed to the one we have today on the Forum, I became a member and have enjoyed every minute of 'posting' on both.

The thing I really like, is that, the members are from around the world and everyone brings something to the table relating to the topic at hand, even if its a small detail, but that small detail, is another piece of the puzzle or a small piece of information that another person involved in the discussion didn't have before.

Amongst the members here, there really is a vast amount of information and knowledge to be had. Even for those who don't know a 'Bren Gun' from a 'CMP' or, has Clive said once, a "Stuart Mk V from another hunk of metal", or something along those lines.

Everyone here contributes freely and willingly, no questions asked. When a question is raised, it never takes to long before there is an answer to it posted, or directions given where one might find the answer or further information on the subject in question.

The Forum today, even has its comedy, no names mentioned, which is great comic relief in itself. A certain someone being both the 'Star Attraction and Target' (Oh!, Did I say that ).

I agree with 'herr-parr', we all owe Geoff a debt of gratitude for providing us with this outstanding means of both sharing and learning.

It's a sad fact, that here in Canada, not to many know anything about the 'Canadian Military' or it's history, or of what they've done since the country came to be, whether it be here at home or around the world. Through this Forum though, for anyone that's interested in Canada's Military past, they can come here and surely learn something at least. 'Case in Point', even 'Little Miss Yappy' knows what a 'Salute' is now, and how to execute it, I think?

Cheers
Old 20-07-04, 01:40
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: MLU Forum History: What/Who brought you here?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Through this Forum though, for anyone that's interested in Canada's Military past, they can come here and surely learn something at least. 'Case in Point', even 'Little Miss Yappy' knows what a 'Salute' is now, and how to execute it, I think?

Cheers
Heed ... that I also know how to execute YOU But I won't even go there because we need you too much. This place would miss you tremendously Mark. We'd all lose so much to lose you from the MLU.

Thank you Mark.

Geoff is the Big Head Cheese Maker here, and he also has many HELPERS who jump in and help and run the forum for Geoff for his RARE time outs. HANNO being the BIGGEST helper, am I correct? And who are you others????????? Step forward please? ...
and tell us your origins in the MLU

Geoff ... you are the rock we stand on, and with.

We've all, together, combined to make an amazing place happen. If I talk like I'm "one of you" thats because Geoff is threatening to hit me upside the head with a cast iron skillet until I relax into gracefully accepting my place here. (a little role reversal goin' on)

This place is POWERFUL ...and you MARK, have expressed the kinds of powerful I'm talking about so well.

Lets see all the whos and hows come out in this thread please

nuf said...again
Old 20-07-04, 01:51
Senior Forum Member

Unhappy Ooops!

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Geoff is the Big Head Cheese Maker here, and he also has many HELPERS who jump in and help and run the forum for Geoff for his RARE time outs. HANNO being the BIGGEST helper, am I correct?
Karmen;

You are quite correct, Hanno is a big part of the Forum and also Geoff's 'Right Hand Man'. We owe them both a lot for making and maintaining the MLU Forum.

Cheers

P.S.....It's ok, Hanno should be fast asleep now anyways, so maybe he won't notice that he was overlooked in my last post and 'DELETE' me when he awakes.......
Old 20-07-04, 02:26
Vets Dottir

Default Hear, Hear

MLU BACKBONES
GEOFF HANNO

Old 20-07-04, 06:57
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Oh, bugger off the lot of you! I may have provided the forum, but it's ALL OF US who make it a community. A forum is just software... like a house without a family. WE are the family.

Having said that, thank you for the kudos... but recognize we're all cogs in this noisy CMP gearbox we call MLU!

The beer's on me...
Old 20-07-04, 07:20
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Winnington-Ball
Oh, bugger off the lot of you! I may have provided the forum, but it's ALL OF US who make it a community. A forum is just software... like a house without a family. WE are the family.

Having said that, thank you for the kudos... but recognize we're all cogs in this noisy CMP gearbox we call MLU!

The beer's on me...
Ah shove off and suck it up buster!!! The forum is an empty lifeless skeleton but you, Oh Modest One, are the Idea Main Man, the Dream behind the site and forum, and Values/Principles who makes the skeleton a living backbone to flesh out by the likes of the lot of us ... it wouldn't exist without your idea and trouble to create it, and it wouldn't run witout you and Hanno's and others helpers attention and efforts.

Credit where and how credit is due ... Mr Spinny Ball You "ARE" MLU ... the rest of us are part of it and we all make it more than what it could be ... we ALL need each other to keep MLU alive and happening. Because of you it exists... because of all of us, it lives .... so there.
Old 20-07-04, 07:22

Shut up and kiss me, you ... you... Pixie Witch!
Old 20-07-04, 07:27
M38A1 CDN3

Default The beer is on who...?

Quote:

The beer's on me...

Hmmm....when's the last time you bought a crate of brew for our usual piss-ups?

All slagging aside, "We're all friends together, in all kinds of weather, we're off to see the Wild West Show"! Anyone recall the next line?

Indeed, MLU Forum is a daily fix that many (most) of us dial into in order to see just what's "goin' on", if not to keep up to date with LMY and Mark's harassing of each other.

In order to satisfy the original question from LMY, I, being personal friends of GWB and BP for some 25 ish years, just sorta gravitated in here and took root. Senior Member, you know, old boy...harrumph!
Old 20-07-04, 07:28
Commonwealth NOT Europe

Can't remember when I joined - I guess it'll be on the sidebox when I post this! I found MLU by searching for CMP info. on google to make models of them, and kinda stayed around!

A wasted youth is better by far than a wise and productive old age!! (Meatloaf)
Old 20-07-04, 07:30
Film maker, CMP addict

Default From early days

I know I wasn't the first one on, but one of the first, with an interest in CMPs and military history going back to when I was a child, I spotted Geoff's MLU website and we've corresponded since then.
I've even had the pleasure of twice visiting Canada and staying with Jif and the crew and also of meeting some of you people.
The people in this forum is a big part of my life - and we are indeed a family.

More power to you all; just cut out the mushy kissy stuff or I'll cry RUTH!

42 FGT No8 (Aust) remains
42 FGT No9 (Aust)
42 F15
Keith Webb
Macleod, Victoria Australia
Also Canadian Military Pattern Vehicles group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/canadianmilitarypattern
Old 20-07-04, 07:45

Default Re: From early days

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
C'mon, Keefy, give us a big wet one, then!
Old 20-07-04, 07:47

Default Re: The beer is on who...?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Hmmm....when's the last time you bought a crate of brew for our usual piss-ups?
See? that just goes to prove a certain evolutionary hierarchy, doesn't it?
Old 20-07-04, 07:53

Around here I'm more of a lurker than a poster, although I've been around long enough to have posted on the old site. This one is definitely better than the old one and is ideal for just getting to know one another. Since I'm not rebuilding, I can't add anything to those topics although I do read most of it. I'm more interested in Canadian Military history, and there's good bunch around here for that. A good mix from around the globe as well.
Keep up the good work all.
Old 20-07-04, 08:00
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Shut up and kiss me, you ... you... Pixie Witch!
Geoff? hello? HELLLLLOOOOO? What the HELL are you drinking there?????? oi oi oi oi oi oi oi

All this appreciation...he can't handle it. He synapsed off track me thinks.
oioioioioooiooioioiooiooioiooiooiooioioiiiiiiooooy yyyyoiyoi

All joking aside ... I meant what I said. You'll see, as people continue to add thier stories here, just how very much this place does for us as individuals, and as a community, and that reaches outwardly ..... your little dream is really a big something now. Savour it.

One day there will REALLY be an awesome event ... I see it coming .... MLU-ers from around the world gathering for the very FIRST HUGE MLU GATHERING EVENT. I hope I'll be there!

More entries to read ... K.
Old 20-07-04, 08:51
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by herr-pear

AKA
Roger Hull
Herr-Pear ... if I come visiting will you take me to BINGO? The pots must be REALLY BIG there!

We have quite a few YANKS in here I think ... my kids father is a Yank, even wore a Uniform for the Korean War but served in an office at home ... going blind (almost there now) He was born Dallas, Texas, currently resides SF and Oakland. I know nothing of who he served with and actually don't know much American Military History either, I've never lived States Side.... tho I've conversed with many Vets ... Marines etc. Its time for me to learn a little about my Southern friends Mil History. I feel so sad for all the soldiers now who seem to be dieing daily. My heart goes out to their loved ones ... and to all the soldiers. War is hell no matter what side.

I love seeing all the people from all over the world in here ... we meet here. Learn from each other.

Now .... sleep calls me. I need my energy to deal with Marko. (I can hardly wait to read new posts in here tomorrow!)

nite ...Karmen
Old 20-07-04, 12:27
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: From early days

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith Webb
I know I wasn't the first one on, but one of the first, with an interest in CMPs and military history going back to when I was a child, I spotted Geoff's MLU website and we've corresponded since then.
I've even had the pleasure of twice visiting Canada and staying with Jif and the crew and also of meeting some of you people.
The people in this forum is a big part of my life - and we are indeed a family.

MLU addiction...
Keith ..
After Jif and Jif Jr.,
I believe I was the first poster to the MLU forum..
Jif and I corresponded back and forth about the looks and the layout of the forum and away it went..!!
A sucess from day one.!
Proud to be part of the MLU family.
As for the mushy -kissy stuff ..stick to the sheep...!!
Old 21-07-04, 00:21
Vets Dottir

Talking More please

More please!

I know a lot of members are probably in here through knowing or meetings someone who is a member in here already. It's really nice to learn the connections and how far back some of them go.

A lot of us, like myself, found their way here through searching for information and finding the MLU through someone else posting or mentioning MLU.

Some of us are prolific posters like MARKO who batted a 1000 POSTS TODAY CONGATULATIONS Marko Give that man a banana! (I'm scared to tally my own posts from the beginning)

Some of us lurk and read and rarely post,if ever.

WHY DO WE STAY and keep coming back for more?

I think several perks lure us back. It's certainly a unique place and most important is very "learning friendly" ... if only all schools could be like this!

We all come from all over the globe, as some of you say, and share an incredible amount of knowledge, and EXPERTISE ... and there are no student loans and course fees to empty our pockets. We learn military stuff, hobbies and history, learn about family, other communities and perspectives ... and in the end,we all know our world, and each other, a little better. And we're all smarter

The history stuff ... well, share the wealth, our history belongs to all of us as a birthright (is the way I see it).

This place is also full of "HEART"... yeah, that mushy embarrassing thing called love for each other as we go and grow together.

Who was it in here who said the people in here are OUTSTANDING?

Yappy agrees with you there. (the comedy relief is such a necessary survival need for some of us. Laughter ... cures so much of what ails yah!)

More please.

hahahahahahhhaha
Old 21-07-04, 07:45
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: From early days

Quote:
C'mon, Keefy, give us a big wet one, then!
Are you back to normal yet Master Sunray? Those kisses you're sending fly may give the wrong impression and then you'll be in trouble when frying pans start to fly from Keefy's beloved .... you are not immune to being my own target of one good big one in spite of the high regard I hold you in for providing MLU and for the awsome thing you did in Normandy If the frying pan won't work then I'll have to sick my new Viking friend on you! He's a big dude too and very jealous
Old 22-07-04, 21:20
RIP

Default Java Tiger

What brought me here?

In 1974 I met my wife (the Java Tiger) and started researching in her family background. So I had to learn the Netherlands East Indies Army (KNIL).

Reserarching the vehicles of the KNIL brought me to MLU - glad for that!

Just a fraction of what I found out:

http://photos.yahoo.com/stellanbojerud

Select the CELEBES photo album and see a "Wild East" story.

MLU is great!

Stellan

Last edited by Stellan Bojerud (RIP); 22-07-04 at 22:01.
Old 28-07-04, 12:49
Vets Dottir

Default ???

AHEM .... uh ... hello?

anyone home??? I DO give Yappy 101 lessons!

Old 28-07-04, 14:43
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: ???

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
AHEM .... uh ... hello?

anyone home??? I DO give Yappy 101 lessons!

Did you say something ......
Old 28-07-04, 15:25
Vets Dottir

(need I say more?)
Old 28-07-04, 15:53
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
(need I say more?)
Pssst.....Maybe no one is listening.......
Old 28-07-04, 16:04
Vets Dottir

then it must be time for me to be quiet and go away ... c-ya
Old 28-07-04, 17:26
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
then it must be time for me to be quiet and go away ... c-ya
Bye.......
Old 29-07-04, 11:57
Vets Dottir

I could NEVER leave you without a target in here Mark-O! Therefore, I shall remain for your target-practice enjoyment

Here yah go , catch me if yah can!