MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 05-08-04, 03:02

Default Here's one for Carman

...and he's got a V.C. (Sgt. Herman Good, V.C.)
Attached Thumbnails
wwi04.jpg  
Old 05-08-04, 04:19
Vets Dottir

Wink Knees

oooh lah la Love those knees!

Thanks for this post John. What's Sgt. GOOD 's actions that earned him a V.C. ? He look extremely sturdy and strong ...a strong-willed and perservering spirit!

Thanks...Carman
Old 06-08-04, 00:00

A kilt and the V.C. What more could a gal want?

Cpl. (later Sgt.) Herman James Good V.C. from South Bathurst , New Brunswick, served with the 13th Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada, The Black Watch)

On 8 August 1918 at Hangard Wood, France, during the battle of Amiens. When his company was held up by heavy fire from three machine-guns, Corporal Good dashed forward alone, killing several of the garrison and capturing the remainder. Later on, the corporal, while alone, encountered a battery of 5.9-inch guns which were in action at the time. Collecting three men of his section he charged the battery under point-blank fire and captured the entire crews of three guns.
Old 06-08-04, 01:09

Default Up your kilt!

Here are some more kilts for you.

This is a detail from the painting “The Conquerors” by Eric Kennington, and depicts the 16th Battalion Canadian Scottish. The soldier wearing the pale coloured cape at the right looks like he may be First Nations.
Attached Images

Old 06-08-04, 17:14
Vets Dottir

Hi John.

Thanks a lot for the story about Sgt Good. I love to hear the "individuals" stories ... gives history a bigger picture of personal lives involved and effected too ...

You know, when I read, or hear about, these stories of "heroism", whether during military conflict or civi actions, I think about my own crazy impulse to jump in and do what needs to be done to "save/protect" ... people have called me nuts but its such a spontaneous and thoughtless decision and action ... which is also strange considering my own history ... I've tended to "freeze" and submit or something, when attack is directed towards me personally ... but when someone else is in danger ... I often have "kneejerk" jumped right in and thought about risks and consequences later. And here I be still alive and about it

By the way... I really enjoyed the painting you posted ... makes me want to stockup on painting supplies again and have at it

MANITOBA ... Manitoba has a huge population of aboriginal and metis ... a concentrated area from way back when. Many MANY of the soldiers in WW2 (and other actions) were aboriginal. I imagine the natives to have brought a lot of traditonal and cultural skills and abilities to battle with them and many would have excelled in "hunting"