former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: AVATAR?

Quote:
Originally posted by Stellan Bojerud
What is an AVATAR?
Why don´t I have one?
How do you do?

Stellan
Stellan, an avatar is the little graphic underneath our names on the left. You can upload one for yourself using your USERCP > EDIT OPTIONS; the graphic can be a maximum of 50 pixels depth and width and 20 kb. If you need help formatting a graphic accordingly, someone will be pleased to help you I'm sure.
Old 08-08-04, 16:58
RIP

Default AVATAR!

Thank You Geoff!

Unit badge of the last one I served with. Disbanded 2000.

So now I have an avatar

Stellan
Old 08-08-04, 18:12
RIP

Default Geoff-re avatars

If I get mt bro-in-law to take a photo of my dad's cloth Eigth Army patch with his digital,and we send it to you when I include it in the photos of the flags presentation,cud you download it as my avatar??This stuff is Greek to me.
Old 08-08-04, 19:02
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Geoff-re avatars

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
If I get mt bro-in-law to take a photo of my dad's cloth Eigth Army patch with his digital,and we send it to you when I include it in the photos of the flags presentation,cud you download it as my avatar??This stuff is Greek to me.
Can do, Garry, no sweat. Just ensure the pic is clear and well-lit, because you lose a lot of resolution when the image is resized.
Old 09-08-04, 00:59
Richard Notton

Default Re: P.P.C.L.I. lot?

Quote:
Originally posted by Vets Dottir
And thank YOU too Master R. ... shall I call you "MASTER STRETCH-R"? ... being such a lofty fellow, you know? (anyone taller than me is lofty though : )
Hmmmm, no, lofty is the Dutch skyscraper McSpool. It must be the desperate Canadian climate that makes smaller people, apart from your good self we note the vertical challenge of the other well known Canadian pixie, namely: Ball, Spinning, G, Mk.1*

R.
Old 09-08-04, 01:02
Richard Notton

Default Re: P.P.C.L.I. lot?

Quote:
And thank YOU too Master R. ... shall I call you "MASTER STRETCH-R"? ... being such a lofty fellow, you know? (anyone taller than me is lofty though : )
Hmmmm, no, lofty is the Dutch skyscraper McSpool. It must be the desperate Canadian climate that makes smaller people, apart from your good self we note the vertical challenge of the other well known Canadian pixie, namely: Ball, Spinning, G, Mk.1*

R.
Old 09-08-04, 04:10
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

Carman said:

"P.P.C.L.I. ... I thought they'd already moved out to SHILO though? Guess I can check the phone book and call to double-check. "

Not gone yet, though it's all in process. They had some formal farewell ceremonies recently. Lots of vehicles still parked - M113s, LAVs, MLVW, HLVW, Iltis, etc - including some very newish looking GMC 3/4-tons back by the tracks on the other side of Kenaston.

Look for the colourful RCEME flag at the corner

My avatar, by the way, is a tiny picture of my Land Rover - I may have to replace with with something HUP-related though.
Old 09-08-04, 15:59
Vets Dottir

CMPERRY: I answered your message last nite but it didn't register Thanks for the info regards P.P.C.L.I. and their move. If the sun ever comes out again here in the Peg, I'm going to pack my back pack with picnic stuff and make a day of exploring. Kenasten and Taylor are far from N.K. so will take me a long time (I also can't do the hand brakes so avoid going fast )... will include Assinnaboine Park in my outing so I can see the CMP at the PPCLI and some Buffalo if they still have them at the park

MASTER R......Dutch Skyscraper McSpool and Canadian Pixie, Ball, Spinning, G. MK.1*

Whatahoot
Old 09-08-04, 21:15
Richard Notton

Quote:
MASTER R......Dutch Skyscraper McSpool and Canadian Pixie, Ball, Sinning, G. MK. 1

Whatahoot
Ah, Venerable Dame please note that I did originally put "Spinning" although "Sinning" may still be quite appropriate but we won't go into that now.

Also you must be very careful to get the right version by Mark Number; "Mk.1" wont do, it has to be Mk.1* (Mark one, star), this is very important to ensure the right part is obtained.

Many on the forum can doubtless explain this better than I.

R.
Old 09-08-04, 21:31
Vets Dottir

Quote:
Originally posted by FV623
Ah, Venerable Dame please note that I did originally put "Spinning" although "Sinning" may still be quite appropriate but we won't go into that now.

Also you must be very careful to get the right version by Mark Number; "Mk.1" wont do, it has to be Mk.1* (Mark one, star), this is very important to ensure the right part is obtained.

Many on the forum can doubtless explain this better than I.

R.
Oops ... ... my childhood Sunday School is showing again ... I'll go back and EDIT the typo... sorry Master Sunray.

Okay ... Mk.1* ... we happy now? (Thanks M.R.)
Old 15-08-04, 13:17
RIP

Default Re: What is your AVATAR symbolize?

Quote:

I've been wondering since I joined about the symbolism behind your avatars. Some meanings are pretty obvious, but most of them, espcially the military symbols and numbers, I don't "get". i'd love to hear what they mean I know some have stories behind them.

The story of my avatar tells us a bit on military planning.

1) In Dec 1992 the Soviet Union fell apart. The Royal Swedish Army however followed the extant plans to strenghten the defense against our mighty neighbor. (The train keeps rolling by it´s own speed). So on 1st July 1995 a new unit was formed for the defense of Stockholm: 446th Regimental Combat Team (RCT) with two Infantry Battalions and two Anti-Aircraft Batteries (Improwed Hawk) plus some minor units.

2) In summer 1998 i visited the German town of Biberach where it was a Factory making a o military bagdes. I found out that the town coat-of-arms suited our unit since it was in blue and yellow with a standing beaver. The 446th HQ was in Bäverdalen (Beaver valley) some 15 km NW Stockholm. The owner of the Factory was kind enough to give me badges for all the HQ personell free of costs.

3) Finally realizing that the Soviet Union was gone cutbacks were made in the Army. Facing the 1999 Army manoevers my personell was used to fill up other units within Stockholm Defense District to full strenght. So in fact I myself was the only remaining human beeing in the 446th RCT.

4) It was a quite interesting situation. Here I was alone with the keys to an underground NBC-protected HQ with complete signals equipment, weapons e t c.

5) Anyhow on Jan 1st 2000 my HQ was formally disbanded and in Jan 2003 I got a letter from the Army that my wartime posting was not valid any longer. So many units had been dissolved so it took three (3) years for the Army to notify the personell that their units had vanished. (In 16-17 September 2004 our Government will cut another 30% of the Army).

6) To conclude: I am the only one that have been wearing the badge of 446th RCT - for less than half a year (Jan 1st - June 1st 1999). During this period I had a full-time job planning the 1999 Army manoevers (moving around an Armoured Brigade of 6.000 men in downtown Stockholm - we had several foreign observers amongst whom six US and they were astonished to see Leopard 2 main battle tanks on tre streets of Stockholm). On Jun 1st 1999 i was transferred to the General Staff College of the Armed Forces and had to wear their badge - but my "shadow" HQ lived for another half year.

"The last beaver in the Beaver valley" was transferred to the reserve list on 1st September 2003. Now mainly working as a consumer with the local pub. If I survive the beer consumption I will finally retire on 1st Sept 2009 with almost 50 years time in service, since I joined the Army on 20th September 1959.

So now my main hobby is to read MLU and Overvalwagens.

Stellan
Old 16-08-04, 04:36
aka C. Mark Perry (CMP)

That's a beaver? Nothing like our docile Canadian rodent.
Attached Images

Old 16-08-04, 10:44
RIP

Default Golden beaver!

Quote:
Originally posted by cmperry4
That's a beaver? Nothing like our docile Canadian rodent.
So here is a larger picture for comparison with the Canadian rodent. What "my" beaver has in his mouth I don´t know. A fish? A cigar?

Anyhow: Thanks for the coin!

Stellan
Attached Images