MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 18-08-04, 03:21

Default Looking For Help

First, I would like to thank the moderators of this site for allowing me to post and I would also like to say a big hello to everyone.

There is two things I would like to ask and I hope that somewhere out there,there is some one who can help me out.

1) I am looking for anyone who may have known my father, Alfred (Benny) Benstead during his war years. He inlisted on Sept. 10 1939 with the Hasty P's. And his reg. number was C-1. He served overseas until 1945 and upon returning home, decided to stay in the army. He retired in 1964 as an RSM, and his last posting was Denison Armories ( Dufferin Street just south of Wilson Road-Toronto).
Dad passed away in 1998.

Which kind of leads into my second question.

2) Dad was a member of the Toronto Ex-Sergeants Association, and the last annual dinner he attended was in 1973 (I still have his beer mug ). Has anyone ever heard of this 'club'?.
Is it still around?

Feel free to email me or PM me at anytime if you have any information or questions.
Thank you in advance for anu help that anyone can give me.
And please excuse the spelling mistakes, its been a long day and I am very tired.

Bill Benstead
Old 20-08-04, 04:16
Old Sigs Type

Bill, was your father in the Governor General's Horse Guards? That unit should be able to dig through their historical archives and get whatever info you may be looking for.

The 'club' you are referring to was known as the Toronto & District Garrison Sergeants Association. I used to be a member of that organisation. In fact, I was the secretary for a couple years in the early 70s and your father's name does sound familiar. I was also involved in the organising committee for the annual mess dinners. Unless it has been revived, the association ended in 1988.

Frank ...
Old 20-08-04, 21:49

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank Misztal
Bill, was your father in the Governor General's Horse Guards? That unit should be able to dig through their historical archives and get whatever info you may be looking for.

The 'club' you are referring to was known as the Toronto & District Garrison Sergeants Association. I used to be a member of that organisation. In fact, I was the secretary for a couple years in the early 70s and your father's name does sound familiar. I was also involved in the organising committee for the annual mess dinners. Unless it has been revived, the association ended in 1988.

Frank ...
Hello Frank.
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry to say that Dad wasn't with the G.G.'s.
Just shortly after the war (not sure how long after), Dad transferred to the RCA, than a few years later joined the RCASC 5th Column. He was with them until he retired. I believe that the RCASC is now called the Logistics Branch.
Your are right (my mistake) the actual name of the 'club' was the Toronto & District Garrison Sergeants Association, and I just found an old photo of them taken at one of their annual dinners, and its dated 1956.

I'm sorry to hear that it's no longer active. I was looking forward to hearing all about what the members were up to and maybe meeting a few people who knew my father.
Of course any further information you can give me would be highly appreciated.

Bill