MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 22-07-04, 11:40
Vets Dottir

Default Mosquitos/West Nile

While we've been yapping a bit about West Nile, and since I'm covered in Mosquito bites ... here's a thread starter easy to find. I don't know if they got around to fogging my neighborhood yet.

THIS from Manitoba Health Authority site:
http://www.gov.mb.ca/chc/press/top/2...-07-21-03.html

July 21, 2004

WEST NILE VIRUS UPDATE #3

Current mosquito surveillance is indicating large increases in the numbers of
Culex tarsalis mosquitoes—the mosquitoes most likely to carry West Nile
virus—in southern Manitoba.
Average one-night Culex tarsalis U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) trap
counts by regional health authority for the week of July 11 were:
-Assiniboine RHA – 93
-Brandon RHA – 35
-RHA Central – 30
-Interlake RHA - 1
-North Eastman RHA – 5
-Parkland RHA – 5
-South Eastman RHA – 29
-Winnipeg RHA - 192
Mosquito surveillance within the City of Winnipeg and the Town of Deloraine in
southwestern Manitoba during the week of July 11 showed the highest average
counts of adult Culex tarsalis mosquitoes.
In Winnipeg, the average one-night Culex tarsalis CDC trap count was 192. In
Deloraine, the average one-night Culex tarsalis CDC trap count was 561.
Several communities, including Winnipeg and Deloraine, are undertaking West
Nile virus-related larviciding activities through a cost-sharing program with the
province’s West Nile virus program.
Testing of the mosquitoes for WNV is ongoing. It is anticipated that WNV will soon
be identified in Culex tarsalis mosquito samples.
At this time, there are no recommendations for adulticiding for West Nile virus.
The situation is being closely monitored for any change in mosquito patterns and
infection rates. The public will be notified if adult mosquito control activities are
planned.
Last year, the first positive mosquito sample was identified on July 4, 2003, and
analysis of the human case data from 2003 indicated that initial human cases
were exposed in mid-July.
As we enter the later part of July, and with the identification of increasing numbers
of Culex tarsalis mosquitoes, the risk of exposure to WNV in Manitoba is
expected to increase.
To reduce the risk of West Nile virus infection, Manitobans can protect themselves
against mosquito bites. This includes:
- wearing light-coloured, loose-fitting clothing, long-sleeved tops and long pants;
- using mosquito repellent containing DEET;
- reducing the amount of time spent outdoors during peak mosquito hours
between dusk and dawn; and
- keeping mosquitoes out of indoor spaces by checking door and window screens
to make sure they fit tightly and are free of holes.
Public awareness for personal protection and reduction of water sources are
being enhanced through the website, a West Nile virus pamphlet, and radio and
television advertising over the next few weeks.
Manitobans can reduce the number of mosquitoes by emptying standing water
that may collect in backyards, old tires, children's toys, pet bowls, wading pools or
stagnant ponds, eaves troughs, under flower pots, etc.
As of July 20, crows have tested positive for West Nile virus in the following areas:
Winnipeg (north, west and east), the Parkland Regional Health Authority and the
Assiniboine Regional Health Authority.
Manitobans can continue to help detect the arrival of West Nile virus in their area
by reporting dead crows, blue jays, magpies or ravens to Health Links-Info Santé
at 788-8200 in Winnipeg (outside of Winnipeg toll-free 1-888-315-9257) in the
following areas: South Winnipeg, Brandon RHA, RHA Central, Interlake RHA,
North Eastman RHA, South Eastman RHA, NOR-Man RHA, Burntwood RHA and
Churchill RHA.
West Nile virus identified in birds from the crow family provides an early indication
of West Nile virus in an area. It is likely that birds will be identified soon in other
regional health authorities in southern Manitoba. Once testing has demonstrated
the presence of WNV in a specific area, no further birds from that area are
required for testing.
Public information about West Nile virus is available by calling Health Links-Info
Santé at 788-8200 in Winnipeg or toll-free at 1-888-315-9257. Additional
information is available on the Manitoba Health website at
DEADLINK-->http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/wnv, which is updated with surveillance data weekly.

I tried the above link and its dead

By the way ... I live in NE Winnipeg.
Slapping Yappy
Old 22-07-04, 12:33
Vets Dottir

Default Fogging Map

http://www.winnipeg.ca/cms/bugline/fogging/default.stm

It appears like my neighborhood has been done... hmmm ... maybe thats why Yappy is having a hard time breathing lately ??? ..it can't possibly be from or stress

If you check out the map, the YELLOW area is where they were fogging last nite, and I think where the protesters got their knickers in a knot ... which makes sense because much of that area has a very LEFT-COAST tone to it (did I say that?)

NO... I will NOT tell you what number I'm in :lol:

Yappy
Old 22-07-04, 13:39
Vets Dottir

Default Malathion

I searched out some information about the chemical MALATHION that they use in the mosquito fogging (since 1953????)

http://www.region.peel.on.ca/health/...ulticiding.htm

Yappy
Old 19-08-04, 03:08
Vets Dottir

Thumbs up Mosquitos... kill 'em with Joy

I scooped this info from another forum ... the poster found it in a gardening forum ...

Quote:
MOSQUITO REPELLENT

Put some water in a white dinner plate and add
a couple drops of Lemon Fresh Joy dish
detergent. Set the dish on your porch, patio, or
other outdoor area. Not sure what attracts
them, the lemon smell, the white plate color, or
what, but mosquitoes flock to it, and drop dead
shortly after drinking the Lemon Fresh Joy/water
mixture, and usually within about 10 feet of the plate. Check this out---it works just super!
Other replis mentioned that other cleaners with LEMON did th trick to chase away/kill mosquitos too. Gee...wonder if plain old lemon juice in water would do it?

Has anyone in here heard of this tip, or even used it?

Thanks,

Karmen
Old 21-08-04, 19:25
Vets Dottir

Default WNV

I'm having fun talking to myself in this thread (be quiet Hairy Beast old Fart )

Winnipeg Radio news yesterday mentioned that a 60 year old man is in hospital with West Nile Virus... the only human case here so far recorded with the virus this year. I don't know any more details. I'll see what I can find out.

Makes ME nervous with all the mosquito bites I've had, HAVE. I get big welts and they love me! Makes me wanna BITE someone ... Mark?
Old 22-08-04, 03:15
Vets Dottir

This man may have picked up the virus very close to where I picked up my own wee bittie bites in Beaconia. In fact he could have got them at Beaconia. Wish I could find out for sure. They haven't released his name yet as far as I know. Hmmmm.

Hello, SKAGFELD, ... bring yore guns... have I got some flying targets for you to take out!

(Bulletin by Manitoba Health Authority)August 19, 2004

WEST NILE VIRUS BULLETIN #4

· The first human case of West Nile virus infection this year has been identified in
Manitoba. The individual, a Winnipeg resident in his sixties, is currently in hospital.
The individual has been reported to Health Canada as a probable case of West Nile
neurological syndrome.

· Although a resident of Winnipeg, the individual is known to also have spent time in
the area of the Rural Municipality of St. Clements during the period of probable
exposure.

· Usually, people infected by West Nile virus have no symptoms and do not become
ill. Of those who do become ill, most will develop West Nile fever, an illness with
symptoms such as fever, headache, fatigue and body aches. Less frequently, the
virus can cause more serious illness (West Nile neurological syndrome) including
encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain.

· Encephalitis can have serious complications. These complications may include
weakness, paralysis, confusion, coma and death and are more likely to occur among
older adults and people with chronic diseases and weakened immune systems.

· There is no vaccine or specific treatment for West Nile virus. Milder symptoms of
West Nile fever usually improve without medical care. Anyone experiencing severe
symptoms (such as persistent high fever, muscle weakness, headache) should seek
medical attention promptly for diagnosis and care.

· Mosquito surveillance in southern Manitoba indicates that the activity of Culex
tarsalis, the mosquito that carries West Nile virus, decreased in all regional health
authorities during the week of Aug. 8 to 14.

· The average trap counts for Culex tarsalis in regional health authorities gathered
during the week of Aug. 8 to 14 are: Assiniboine, 17; Brandon, four; Central, two;
Interlake, one; North Eastman, one; Parkland, eight; South Eastman, two; and
Winnipeg, 32.

· Infected mosquitoes have been found in the following communities: Winnipeg,
Brandon, Souris, Deloraine, Killarney, Winkler, West St. Paul and East St. Paul. The
infection rate of trapped mosquitoes remains low, usually less than one per 1,000
mosquitoes.

· The risk of exposure to WNV in Manitoba increases as the number and activity of
infected Culex tarsalis mosquitoes increase. The activity of Culex tarsalis as
indicated by trap counts is affected by many factors including the number of
mosquitoes in the area, temperature, humidity and wind speed. In 2003, the majority
of the human cases were exposed during the first two weeks of August.

· At this time, it is still considered important to consider taking personal protective
precautions against mosquitoes and to reduce standing water around your home.

· To reduce the risk of West Nile virus infection, Manitobans can protect themselves
against mosquito bites by:
- wearing light-coloured, loose-fitting clothing with long sleeves and long pants;
- using mosquito repellent containing DEET;
- reducing the amount of time spent outdoors during peak mosquito hours
between dusk and dawn; and

- keeping mosquitoes out of indoor spaces by checking door and window screens
to make sure they fit tightly and are free of holes.

· Manitobans can reduce the number of mosquitoes by emptying standing water that
may collect in backyards, old tires, children’s toys, pet bowls, wading pools or
stagnant ponds, eaves troughs, under flowerpots, etc.

· Larviciding continues in several communities in southern Manitoba through the
province’s cost-sharing program.

· Birds from the NOR-MAN Regional Health Authority, the Burntwood Regional Health
Authority and the Churchill Regional Health Authority will continue to be considered
for WNV testing to establish the presence of WNV in those areas. No further birds
are required for testing from southern Manitoba.

· Public information about West Nile virus is available by calling Health Links-Info
Santé at 788-8200 in Winnipeg or toll-free at 1-888-315-9257. Additional
information is available on the Manitoba Health website at
http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/wnv, which is updated with surveillance data weekly.

- 30 -
Old 22-08-04, 17:03
RIP

Default Vinegar??

Karman,
I've been bit lately.The first thing I do is put vinegar on a piece of paper towel & soak the bite spot.It seems to work.Something about the acid which kills the itch & swelling
Garry
Old 22-08-04, 17:41
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Vinegar??

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Karman,
I've been bit lately.The first thing I do is put vinegar on a piece of paper towel & soak the bite spot.It seems to work.Something about the acid which kills the itch & swelling
Garry
Hey Garry, thanks for the tip. I'll have to put vinegar on my shopping list so Ican take the zing outta the sting.

I wonder how that poor guy in hospital is doing. That neurolgical syndrome sounds bad.

Off topic, but am reminded of my Aunty Amy ... she had polio as a kid, and now suffers a "post polio syndrome" ... at age 80 and with other big health issues its so hard on her. She does have an incredible vitality of intellect and pee and vinegar that puts me to shame though. She's ex navy ex race-car driver and the spirit still drives on

Some of these "bugs" and viral things can certainly come back and kick-heinie years down the road. "Post Problem Problems"

Anyways... I hope the gentleman overcomesand doesn't suffer longterm problems from the WNV.

Karmen
Old 22-08-04, 22:13
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Re: Vinegar??

Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Shipton
Karman,
Garry
Garry
Wanna kill the little suckers before they bight you..

Take a completely white plate full of water...add a couple of drops or teaspoons of Joy dish soap and put it outside..The buggers go mad fore it..and it kills them stone dead..Plates gotta be white and the dishsoap has to be Joy..Works like a dam..
Old 23-08-04, 04:12
RIP

Default Joy Dish Soap!!

Saw that one in Sunday's paper.Thanks Al.if I get caught coming in the door with the dish soap,& my Debbie sees me,don't you think that's giving her a mesage.Especially with me stealing one of her white plates!!That's like showing up at home with a new vacuum cleaner!!
Garry

Actually,we have lemon scented candles when we entert
ain out on our deck.Debbie bought them.Work pretty good