MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 15-07-04, 22:45
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: meow

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
I'll come and play rough later ... kitty is hungry, gotta feed meself....

Soups On!......Come and Get It!...Just the way you like it..................FRIED!
Attached Images

Old 15-07-04, 23:55
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Re: meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Soups On!......Come and Get It!...Just the way you like it..................FRIED!
I forgot to mention....slice up some Banana and fry them up along with it, Yum Yum......Das Is Good!.......peeling the banana is optional....at least, if you fry it up along with the banana, you won't slip on it later ......then you would have a sore MONKEY BUTT .....

Bye!
Old 16-07-04, 07:27
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Re: Re: meow

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
MONKEY BUTT ..... Bye!
MONKEY BUTT?

Boy ... are YOU ever lucky I can't upload the image I just made in Paint because it's too big and I don't know how to re-size it! (can anyone help me put here? Oh please, oh please, and thanks? )
Old 16-07-04, 14:02
Senior Forum Member

Talking Re: Re: Re: Re: meow

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Boy ... are YOU ever lucky I can't upload the image I just made in Paint because it's too big
What's wrong 'Little Miss', is it to heavy for your 'wee' little self to lift : ......send it to me, I'll re-size it for you

.....watch out for banana peels......
Old 16-07-04, 14:27
Senior Forum Member

Talking Breakfast Time!

Oh Karmen.........It's time for your Breakfast.....see what I've got for you....... .....Sorry, coffee not included, but I can offer you a

Have a nice day, Ah!
Attached Images

Old 18-07-04, 09:12
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Carman, Wild westHi Carman

Quote:
Originally posted by Norm Cromie
Now Carman, I have three serious questions for you....
IS THE RIVER REALLY RED.....
Norm
Red River. 1 River, 1,222 mi (1,967 km) long, southernmost of the
large tributaries of the Mississippi River. It rises in two branches in
the Texas Panhandle and flows SE between Texas and Oklahoma and
between Texas and Arkansas to Fulton, Ark. It then turns southward,
enters Louisiana, and crosses SE to the Atchafalaya and the
Mississippi rivers. In Texas it flows rapidly through a canyon in
semiarid plains, but later in its course it waters rich red-clay farm
lands (whence the name Red)
Dams on the river include the Denison
Dam (completed 1943), which impounds Lake Texoma, one of the
largest reservoirs in the United States. For many years navigation
was difficult on the lower course of the Red River due to fallen trees
that floated downstream and collected behind obstructions, forming
rafts. The Great Raft, a 160-mi (257-km) log-jam built through the
centuries, was cleared from the river in the mid-1800s. The river is
now navigable for small ships to above Natchitoches, La. There are
many lakes along the lower part of the river, and reservoirs serve as
flood-control units on its tributaries. 2 River, often called the Red
River of the North, c.310 mi (500 km) long, formed N of Lake
Traverse, NE S.Dak., by the confluence of the Bois de Sioux and the
Otter Tail rivers. It flows N between Minnesota and North Dakota and
crosses the Canadian border into Manitoba, emptying into Lake
Winnipeg.
The river drains the principal spring wheat-growing area of
the United States and Canada : the rich Red River valley region, the
bed of the ancient Lake Agassiz. Its chief tributary is the Assiniboine
River.
Old 18-07-04, 10:04
Vets Dottir

Default Chief PeguisTrail

Here is an image of the Chief Peguis Trail Bridge ... and a bit of the Red River - which actually looks an earthy red on my old monitor, but I bicycle across that bridge often and the water is that yukky opaque gray brown. I've never seen it look "red" in my life!

By the way, Pequis is an Indian Reserve and the name PRINCE is connected to a chief??? who chose the name PRINCE as a surname (felt Royal ... )
and WW2 famed THOMAS (TOMMY) GEORGE PRINCE, and his brother my aunt married, are of that family.

Tommy Prince and Louis Riel, are honoured all over the place around Winnipeg and surrounding areas. Many many things, places, named after them.

Its also interesting to me that The Royal Winnipeg Rifles were formed in 1883 and fought in the Riel Rebellion against the Metis. My Uncle Eddie, a RWR Rifleman was Metis ... I love it I don't know the history very well ...but well enough to notice some interesting things like this

You know, I knew absolutely NOTHING of my back-home area history until not too many years ago. I'm not educated and maybe leaving the area so young has a lot to do with that lack. Living in this area, history is "in your face and ears" and even the most hermetic people learn because they live here and can't avoid it

Geneology is a good thing because it teaches history, and lends appreciation to perspectives.
I don't know about you-all, but all this history stuff gives me a sense of "rootedness to the world" part of it all, rather than ... an isolated particle floating about.

Do you not think that learning history is also learning physics? wierd womaan Yappy?

ah well ... look at the dirty river!

Yappy yap yap yap yap yap
Attached Images

Old 18-07-04, 10:12
Vets Dottir

Default YUM

Monkey Butt Loves Bananas for breakfast! Thank you Mark-O ...

MONKEY BUTT???????????? geez... how do you come up with these things? That still slays me
Old 19-07-04, 02:12
48th Highlander

Default Red river history

Carman:
Many thanks for your research and detailed geographic information on the red river . I am an environmentelist and history nut. You can see by your discription how vital and important water is to our survival. When I look at the desacretion of one of our most precious commodities, water. It always leaves me uncertain of our place on this planet we call earth. You can see by your own location how much we are connected through the wonderful life blood, water.
You have a wonderful interesting family background, I sure would like to hear more about the geneology of your family. The generation of today has wonderful access to technology for research. I sure would love to see any photos you have of your family as I have been a serious photographer since I was 16 years old. If you wish you could send them to my private e-mail address
Old 19-07-04, 05:08
Vets Dottir

Cool Norm

Well, dearest Norm, you have just won Lil' Miss Yappy as a lifelong friend, indeed! Thank you for sharing some of your attitudes and your interests ...

Our environment ... I'm not savvy on all the environmental issues, but I'm a physical creature that depends on mommy earth and know a lot about my own vulnerability, dependence, and my own impact, on the whole of things.

Physics ... we're all so interdependent on each other for PHYSICAL survival ... I include Mommy Earth herself ... and beyond. Change is good ... extinction not ?

Now ... back to earth sitting in my little bunker and thinking about geneology, water, relationships ... family trees and old photographs ...

My family history is pretty mind boggling and interesting. I'm amazed.

I have some photos of my dads side (Jonasson's) but there is a book thats out of print that I can't get, or afford anyways, with many of these photos ... my whole dam family, paternal side, in there The Icelanders document and keep track quite well ... (except of bastards... grin!) my dad, brothers and sisters, grand parents, aunts and uncles, great grand parents etc ....

I'll have to double check the title but I think its called;

The "Icelandic River Saga" by Nelson R. Gerrard, local Manitoba historian and geneologist. Its about the Icelanders (my relations and others) coming and settling in Canada ... if you're a historian, you'll enjoy this book ... but the Icelandic names and such are tough to twist your tongue round The Icelanders were extremely challenged ... with the environment, and basically left Iceland because of that environmnt... volcanic eruptions, starvation and such.

My Amma(granny) broke her leg, or some such,on that journey over and almost perished... but didn't ...and here I sit to snoop into her life

Maternal side ... more difficult to find photos.

I don't have a scanner either ... the paternal side photos belong to my Aunty (Dad's sister) and I have some saved to my computer... I'll search them out soon and send some to you for a look see. I especially love my grandparents wedding photo! She's 20, he's 21 ... stern faces, typical pose for back then.

Wow.

I'll be in touch with you soon Norm And by the way... I love seeing the photos people post in here too!!!hint hint

MLU has a wonderful ALIVE and vibrant tone to it. Personal. Community. History. Great values. Humour that won't quit! I love this place ... and the people in it!

Old 19-07-04, 05:26
West Coaster

Default Roller Skates

V_D,

Have you ever seen a happy Bison out there? Don't forget you can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd eh? At least that's what I've herd....

JD
Old 19-07-04, 07:45
Vets Dottir

Default NORM ... CORRECTION!!!!

NORM:

Nelson Gerrard's name is

"NELSON S. GERRARD" (not Nelson N. Gerrard as I accidentally typed ... sorry for the error )

Here is a link http://www.isholf.is/halfdanh/vestur.htm
you might enjoy. It's another Historians site "Halfdan Helgason" ... from Iceland There is tons of stuff in there to find of interest including geneological stuff, Iclandic of course. Halfdan has some great photos in his site ... and a really neat newsletter too with a "Settler of the Week" section.

For Orkneys roots and history (of which I have too, like most people of generations from around here) I also visit this fun site sometimes ..... http://www.orkneyjar.com

I got your PM and will be sure to visit your site... thank you Norm. I'm looking forward to visiting you there

I'll send you some photos soon too ... Carman

JD: I wonder if I can ride the buffalo/bison like I used to ride the cows when I was a kid? (can't roller-skate!)The cows had good temperaments (sp?) I wonder about the B/B though? Yappy
Old 19-07-04, 08:32
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Roller Skates

Quote:
Originally posted by JD Baillie
V_D,

Have you ever seen a happy Bison out there? Don't forget you can't rollerskate in a buffalo herd eh? At least that's what I've herd....

JD
PS: actually the buffalo remind me A LOT of my Scottish Soldiers cousins from the "My Hero" thread ... must be the bushy hair
Old 19-07-04, 08:37
West Coaster

Default Heilin' Coo

V_D,

You mean that WASN'T your brother???????

I am SO disapointed!

May I suggest your riding be done on they great pointy things up front on those beasties? You would be truly riding on the horns of a dilema then eh?

JD
Old 19-07-04, 09:16
Vets Dottir

Nelson S. Gerrard,

NORM: here is a little more back ground on Nelson and his book(s)... interesting. Funny how my dad's side is from the Icelandic River Settlemnt area ... and Mom's from the Red River Settlement area ... Dad's side not here so long as Mom's of course, since about 1872 Mom's side more rooted thru local Natives, mostly local Cree/Ojibway and later fur trade, early 1800's for my Grandfathers side, granny not sure dates... FRANCE and local CREE. Environment ... was harsh and took its toll on all the settlers. The Natives "arrived" from else where at some point ...they didn't just materialize ... how did they get "here" anyways???? WHEN? But then people are like viruses, they spread easily and go forth and multiply grin Maybe they got zapped over here by some Pixie Witch?

Military history? ... Mark??? Any input here?

Canadian settlement and growth in general, pretty interesting and amazing, and its STILL such a "NEW" country.

okay ... back to what I intended to post but got yapping away as ever ;P

Nelson S. Gerrard is a noted author, historian, genealogist and
is also the official historian of the Icelandic National League.

Mr. Gerrard is the author of "The Icelandic River Saga" - an
account of the Icelandic River settlement in Manitoba - which
has become a standard reference book for the history of the
Icelandic settlements in general; and the illustrator of "Icelandic
Settlers in America."
He is currently working on Gimlunga Saga - a three-volume
illustrated history of Gimili and the Virdirnes settlement in
Manitoba, from its inception in 1875 up to the present.

You, as a historian, probably know almost everything I just wrote ... m? I'm just learning and piecing my family history as I go.

I certainly feel rooted and like I belong. More so, the more I learn

I LOVE hearing other peoples stories too Always did! Behind every face is lifetimes and another little piece of the puzzle that creates our world. cool.

blah blah yap yap yap yap yap yap

Carman
Old 20-07-04, 03:28
Senior Forum Member

Talking ???? and !!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D

1. - Military history? ... Mark??? Any input here?

2. - blah blah yap yap yap yap yap yap

Carman
Karmen;

Two questions regarding your above mentioned:

1. - Military history regarding/concerning - what/when/where?

2. - "blah blah yap yap..." - Shouldn't this read: "Yap, Yap, Yap, Yap, Yap, Yap, Yap, Yap, Yap, Yap, Yap, Yap, Yap, Yap, and on and on and on.........."

Cheers
Old 20-07-04, 04:42
Vets Dottir

Hi MARK, I meant that I know zip about Canadian Military history back then (or anytime) but you probably do yapyapyap yep

Karmen
Old 20-07-04, 04:46
Senior Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by V_D
Hi MARK, I meant that I know zip about Canadian Military history back then (or anytime) but you probably do yapyapyap yep

Karmen
Ok, I understand now, me thinks I've read to much today.

Cheers
Old 04-08-04, 21:15
Vets Dottir

Default Icelandic River Saga

Here is an image I just found of the book "Icelandic River Saga" in case anyone is interested.

I still can't beleive that someone online is
asking about $365.00 for it!!!!! Another person
was asking $65.00. Why the big difference? Who knows? I don't.

The man on the cover is Sygtriggur (I always forget the spelling)Jonasson ... a relative up the tree.
Attached Images