MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > 'B' ECHELON > The Sergeants' Mess

Notices

Old 20-07-04, 17:31
M38A1 CDN3

Default Winnipeg news

This just in from Canada's West...

Quote from today's Toronto Sun...

"Officials have temporarily called off the city's chemical fight against West Nile virus- bearing mosquitoes after a barricade by protesters prevented malathion fogging trucks from making their rounds."

Whyinhell would someone protest the efforts to eradicate a potential fatal disease?

Seems like Toronto city council's left-lib nutbars are not alone. Did Toronto export some of their jerks to Winnipeg?

Hey, Sinclair...any comments from the front lines?
Old 20-07-04, 18:48
Old Sigs Type

It looks like the mosquito fogging has resumed. What I wonder is what qualifications to the protestors have to try and negate this fogging.
Old 20-07-04, 22:34
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Protestors...

Jon...
"protesters prevented malathion fogging trucks from making their rounds."

Isn't the way to deal with foggin' protestors is to slap them silly with a foggin' baton..?
Old 20-07-04, 22:43
former OC MLU, AKA 'Jif' - sadly no longer with us

Talking

One way or another, at least V_D doesn't have to worry about the skeety-bugs... one bite out of her would kill them, if she doesn't bite them first...
Old 20-07-04, 22:55
Senior Forum Member

Default Re: Protestors...

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Jon...

Isn't the way to deal with foggin' protestors is to slap them silly with a foggin' baton..?
Alex;

You gotta hit them with a canister or two of 'CS' first, then slap em silly with a foggin' baton....being all teary eyed, they won't see ya coming.....oh oh FLASH BACKS..........
Old 20-07-04, 23:03
Vets Dottir

quote from that article (Thanks forth link Frank )

SKAGFELD:

There are so many fragile people, young, old, compromised immune systems, that couldn't handle a bout with West Nile .... (like perhaps myself?)

Just based on the fact that these little suckers are now hatching and that Winnipeg has already had proof of a bird carrying West Nile in Winnipeg area ... well, FOG EM DAMMIT!

By the way, this coming from someone, myself, very sensitive to chemicals etc in the air etc. I haven't studied up on the potential risks and longterm impact of fogging ... but if West Nile is a definate and immediate risk .... I'd fog and save myself and at risk people today and take my chances on having the cure get us in future, while working on finding an all round healthier cure. What else can we do?

Do I want the fogging? No. But say YES because West Nile is no joke. West Nile COULD kill me, but mosquito fogging probably not, and certainly not immdiately.

Maybe eating plain yogurt will be found to be a killer of people with more research?

... this is a "shades of the smoking thread" sort of issue?

now back to you...
Old 21-07-04, 00:08
Art Johnson

Default Muskidoos

little suckers

You must be joking, I have never seen a LITTLE mosquito in Winnipeg. They are so big they even have their sqaudron numbers painted on their wings.
Old 21-07-04, 00:46
Vets Dottir

Default Re: Muskidoos

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Johnson
little suckers

You must be joking, I have never seen a LITTLE mosquito in Winnipeg. They are so big they even have their sqaudron numbers painted on their wings.
Good one Art! .... but I call ANYTHING smaller than me LITTLE! Helps me feel bigger

The right approach for the protesters is to confine them in a room with documentation about West Nile's impact on people from Mosquito bites, especially the ones who died from it AND let loose the mosquitos in there with them. Their priorities would change quickly and they'd be begging for a fogging ...

FYI ... my Mom was a severe asthmatic, breathing machines and the whole nineyards. Literally brought back to life many times after her heart stopped due to asthma attacks... mosquito spraying time was hard on her but she was in agreement with the spraying ... and that was BEFORE West Nile appeared. West Nile aside ... mosquitos here drive people insane! They're also UGLY when bloated with your blood! YUK
Old 21-07-04, 04:14
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Re: Protestors...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark W. Tonner
Alex;

You gotta hit them with a canister or two of 'CS' first, then slap em silly with a foggin' baton....being all teary eyed, they won't see ya coming.....oh oh FLASH BACKS..........
Alex, Mark, Frank...speaking of flashbacks...remember summer concentrations when an M37 drove up and down the tent lines with a kerosene fogger? That was the MO's answer to mossie infestation. It didn't help when "buddy" stopped the vehicle right beside your bell tent and let 'er rip for a minute or so.

A can of CS would have been appropriate for good ol' buddy.
Old 21-07-04, 04:24
M38A1 CDN3

Default Re: Protestors...

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex Blair
Jon...

Yeah, Alex...whack 'em and stack 'em!
Old 21-07-04, 04:39
Old Sigs Type

Default Re: Re: Re: Protestors...

Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Skagfeld
Alex, Mark, Frank...speaking of flashbacks...remember summer concentrations when an M37 drove up and down the tent lines with a kerosene fogger? That was the MO's answer to mossie infestation. It didn't help when "buddy" stopped the vehicle right beside your bell tent and let 'er rip for a minute or so.

A can of CS would have been appropriate for good ol' buddy.
Yup, I sure remember. Camp Niagara '64, '65. Reveille - first the bugler, then the piper, then the friggin'... er... sorry ... foggin' truck. Choke... gasp! gasp!
Old 21-07-04, 04:42
Vets Dottir

What is "MOSSIE"?

Thanks
Old 21-07-04, 05:38
Art Johnson

Default protesors

What they should do with these protestors is arm them with Fly Swatters and let them run all over the city swatting mossies. I carry my own personal bug spray, it is a 0,8 Nitro Lingual spray for high blood pressure. You want to see the funny dances the mossies and flys do after they get hit with that.

Carman during the war there was a super dooper fighter bomber called the De Haviland Mosquito the name was shortened to Mossie.
Old 21-07-04, 06:07
Art Johnson

Default DeHaviland Mosquito

Carman in my opinion the Mosquito was one of the best aircraft to emerge from the Second War. Believe it or not it was made from wood and covered in fabric and used in many roles. It was even used to blow a hole in a prison wall to allow the prisoners escape. Some of the aircraft were made here in Toronto at the DeHaviland plant.

http://www.aero-art.com/gbmosi.html

Have a look at this site. If you get a chance to read a book titled " Terror in Starboard Seat" I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Old 21-07-04, 07:29
Vets Dottir

Default Re: DeHaviland Mosquito

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Johnson
Carman in my opinion the Mosquito was one of the best aircraft to emerge from the Second War. Believe it or not it was made from wood and covered in fabric and used in many roles.
Thanks a lot ART. Amazing plane. Wow.

Also ... I can now get a library card as I finally have some mail with my new address (SO I MUST ACTUALLY LIVE HERE IN THIS BUNKER!!!), so I can now get my most treasured possession of all time ... an active usable library card!!!

I'll start writing down some of these wonderful book titles you people have all given in here so I can start checking the books out. Which reminds me .....

DAVE COX: if you read this, I'm going to get my drivers licence changed over to my new address soon (it's still under BC) so I can register at the Winnipeg Archives. They need photo ID with current address to run security checks before registering new members. Then just let me at the records

ART... please give my hellos to Catherine

Carman