MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > BUY, TRADE or SELL > For Sale Or Wanted

Notices

Old 07-05-16, 23:07

Default Repro Denim AFV Crew Suits and Repro Tan Pixies

Hi folks,
Starting a new thread on the coverall project.

Here is a link for my FB photo album showing the difference between my original Pixie and the prototype sent to me by Irfan in Pakistan.

Hopefully you can launch it from here.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=0acc03a050

The denim sample is in one pic that shows a piece run through the washer and dryer by me, laid next to the raw sample, laid over an original NOS item of wartime Green Denim

In the pics, the original is always on the left in the image, with the test sample on the right. OG-L for original, TG-R for Test Garment on the right side.

The sample is too brown for me to accept, but at least it shows the weaving and weight Irfan can get. He is going to a mill this week to take my sample of original fabric to be woven for me. I will have to buy some 200 yards. That will make up about 40 tank suits.

Stay tuned.

Appreciate any comments, suggestions or concerns.
Old 07-05-16, 23:17
Richard Harrison

I am still interested in a denim suit Jim....surely he can dye the fabric then wash it out and fix it

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 05-11-16, 21:20

Default Update and prices for repro Pixies

Progress...
Got eh final cost for the repro pixie winter tank suits from a vendor in Pakistan.

cost for a made t- measure suit with hood - US$ 190.
rough estimated cost to ship via DHL to the US is US$ 60
Rough cost to ship to Europe is US$80

More than one suit to the same address would be cheaper than just $60 x 3+$180.

They had a major holiday there and Irfan expects to ship my second prototype next week. His DHL delivery for a few past items has been less than three days.

This prototype is to use all the correct fabrics, zippers, and buckles, and include the waterproofing material in the upper chest/back and arms.

The first prototype was to check for construction. I sent him pics of side-by-side changes with an original suit as a reference. ( such things as changing a square pocket corner to an angles one. No holes in the waistbelt, etc.

The second prototype should be based on my size - measured over my BD jacket and trousers.

I hope to see how that relates to my provided measurements so you all can send in the right numbers.

If the repro fits well and the rest looks like a good repro, then I will post pics of all the details and how to order.

I am not a dealer. I don't want to - can't afford to - buy a shipment and then resell them.

I will try to set up a plan so that you each can send Ifan your measurements, addresses and PayPal your payments directly to him. He may set up a "batch period" where he needs a minimum order before setting up his shop for production work. Your order may or may not have a deposit required. I would imagine then, that final payment would be sent after the batch is complete and he can begin delivery.

So... I am the guinea pig and fronted the development costs... you and Irfan will be customer and merchant. Usual buyer seller arrangements apply.
Old 05-11-16, 22:33

I am definitely interested Jim. Cheers. Bob
94 LSVW
Old 05-11-16, 22:52
MLU Administrator

Jim,

Great initiative! Could you share some of the pictures of your suit here?

Thanks,
Hanno
Old 05-11-16, 22:59

Default Great

Jim,
I am very interested in buying one.
Peter
Old 07-11-16, 14:47

hiya, definitely interested.
Daimler Heavy Mk 1 to restore
Old 08-11-16, 13:10
Richard Harrison

Interested in a denim and a pixie... did finished pics get circulated in the end.. I cannot recall now ?

__5th Div___46th Div__
1942 Ford Universal Carrier No.3 MkI*
Lower Hull No. 10131
War Department CT54508 (SOLD)
1944 Ford Universal Carrier MkII* (under restoration).
1944 Morris C8 radio body (under restoration).
Old 08-11-16, 15:13

Denims stalled because of need to buy 300 meters up front, and I can't bankroll it.

Pixies - I am waiting on the second prototype to arrive for me to inspect. Part of that will be to do a side-by-side comparison and I will be taking pictures for every step. I will create a photo album on Facebook and then share the link here.

So.. nothing yet.
Old 18-11-16, 23:22

Hasty update...
Received the second prototype from Pakistan.

Some issues, but dam fine sewing!

Need to fine tune the outer fabric a bit, the inner wool lining is brown instead of Khaki, but right kind of shirting wool.

With hood. There is a waterproof layer between inner and outer fabric in shoulders and upper chest and back, and int he hood.

Was about 2" too small for my measurements based on what I sent in. That was measured over the BD jacket. A quick test fit was over just a shirt.

Arms and legs good length. same for sleeves. The length of the body from crotch to neck needs another 2 inches, same for the chest and neck.

I will post pics when my wife sends them from her camera.

I will take a series of side by side pics tomorrow.
Old 21-11-16, 02:18

Here is the link to see pictures of the 2nd prototype.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=2729fefd50

You may be able to click on the link. You may need to cut and paste it into your browser. This is to go to my Facebook photoalbum.

Summary - extremely well made! Some issue with the fabrics used. The tan outer is a softer fabric than the original but close to sam ecolor. The wool lining is the right weight and type, but too brown, Irfan says he can get the right color, and is mailing me a sample. Needs to buy a roll to get enought to make a sample suit, but can get a swatch to send me. The brown was available by the yard so he used that to show the construction.

Issue with sizing.. I sen tmeasurements taken over a BD jacket and trousers. Prototype is slightly snug in the torso (Neck to crotch) over light shirt and chinos.

Each picture in the photo album has the notes on what is good or needs changing.

I hope you all understand Irfan will review my photos and make changes to the 3rd prototype.

I am in about 1,000.00 USD for buying the zips and the custom waist buckles up front. He will be in about US 1500.00 to buy the right color wool lining. We are lookign to get about 40 orders before he has his shop change the assembly line to make tank suits.

I would like your feedback on the pics. Any concerns. Questions?
I expect you to send your order form with measurements directly to Irfan and pay him with Paypal. I am not - NOT - a sutler/vendor. I can't buy 40 suits up front and then resell them. Besides... THESE ARE MADE TO YOUR MEASUREMENTS!!! - so each of you will need to have someone take your measurements over whatever you think you might wear this suit over. Then round up larger!

You can not take good measurements of yourself.... ask any tailor!!!
Old 21-11-16, 22:15

Default Fantastic attention to details......

Amazed at the effort you are putting into this project.... your facebook photos and comments are an interesting read.

That guy Irfan must really want the business....... I hope this developes into the Summer denim suit as well.

Are there any possibility that other "sutlers" like What price glory and others .....would be interested in carrying this effort to a larger pool of interested buyers/users and possibily reduce the up front start up cost?

I would certainly entertain getting a Pixie suit for our cold weather and would buy a few copies of the denim model when available.

Cheers
Canada