MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 02-10-17, 20:34

Default Ford CMP New to me

Hi, I've inherited a Ford CMP in running condition and am starting to learn about it. Had been parked for 10 years and the guy I could have asked about it is gone. So, questions:

1. Manuals - is there a source to get manuals or just scans?

2. Transfer case - how does it shift or operate? The lever is bungi'ed back, perhaps due to rattling. No plaquards - does this lever move fore and aft for 2wd, 4wd, perhaps neutral? What about the apparent PTO output?

3. Sources for parts or knowledge?

4. Sources for gages or people able to rebuild?

I believe I have a type 13 Ford, probably short wheelbase pickup style. This was a non-mil forest service truck, originally recovered, rebuilt, and driven in the Alcan Highway Anniversary Drive in the early 90's. I believe it was covered in some magazines at that time.

Would love any help or input - e-mail
Old 02-10-17, 20:52
MLU Administrator

Hello Gregg,

Welcome to this forum, seems you have inherited a great truck.

Manuals are available, both original and copies - but we first need to establish the exact type first. Show us a pic of it so we can properly identify!

Sources for parts or knowledge are on here - post your question on this forum and I'm sure you will get an answer or at least a hint in the right direction.

- Hanno
Old 05-10-17, 00:22

Thanks Hanno,

Pics attached. Please let me know what other views would be helpful.

Appears to be a 1943 Type 13 Ford, VIN 152674.

I understand it was a forest service truck, rescued in B.C. by some snowmobilers who sledded in an engine, by the name of Robert McAleny and Charlie Lak. I am guessing the color and markings were forest service. Those guys drove it on the AlCan highway 50 year anniversary.

It's in good shape, but has fabric wire and will probably need to be rewired - I had to hot wire it. I would have guessed they rewired it then. I did put in a 12V battery - none of the gages besides speedo work - so I need to poke around and see if it is neg or pos ground. There is a resistor, so I am guessing this thing was converted from 6 to 12 volts, hopefully neg ground.

I am in the process of cleaning up the fuel system a little, as it sat for about the last 6 or 7 years. Not much rust, but everything is sticky (e.g. reverse lock out, etc) - so I am not sure if the 4wd lever is stuck or locked, and don't even know which way it moves.

My short term goal would be to get it working perfectly mechanically, including gages if possible and mostly stock. I don't know if I will next restore it or just enjoy its patina and just drive it.

My stepdad drove it home from Canada to Texas at about age 80. He must have a big file on it somewhere, but I have not so far located it in his papers.

Thanks for any help!!!

Gregg Carlson
Tulsa, OK
Attached Thumbnails
20171001_152514.jpg   20171001_152501.jpg   20170930_101433.jpg  
Old 05-10-17, 01:05
Brian Asbury

Default Nice find.

Hi Gregg, an email has been sent. Brian
Old 14-10-17, 11:47
MLU Administrator

Gregg,

I recall the yellow Ford CMP featured in Wheels & Tracks magazine. The story was about some guys who took an engine into the bush on quads, fitted it in a derelict Ford CMP and drove it home - some adventure! But your stepdad droving it home from Canada to Texas at about age 80 - this must have been an equally great adventure

From what I see it is a F15A 15-cwt 4x4 truck, fitted with 20" wheels with 9.00-20 tyres and the cargo bed off an earlier 8-cwt type CMP truck. Originally it would have had 16" wheels and a different cargo bed. Now that we have identified it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCarlson View Post
1. Manuals - is there a source to get manuals or just scans?
Our member Grant Bowker can supply you with a copy of the Maintenance manual MB-F1. If you place a wanted ad here on MLU an original may come up, the manual is not rare.

Quote:
2. Transfer case - how does it shift or operate? The lever is bungi'ed back, perhaps due to rattling. No plaquards - does this lever move fore and aft for 2wd, 4wd, perhaps neutral? What about the apparent PTO output?
The 4-wd lever moves forward to engage front wheel drive, and backwards to disengage front wheel drive. There is no high-low gear in the 15-cwt transfer gear.
Reverse gear has a lock, lift the lever on the gear shift and it should slide into reverse.
If it has a PTO output, you may want to take some pictures of the drive train so we can identify further.

Quote:
3. Sources for parts or knowledge?
4. Sources for gages or people able to rebuild?
Knowlegde here on MLU, parts as well - I see Brian already sent you an email.

Quote:
My short term goal would be to get it working perfectly mechanically, including gages if possible and mostly stock. I don't know if I will next restore it or just enjoy its patina and just drive it.
If I were you, I would get it running properly and safely and enjoy it as such. If you make a scrap book with the exploits of Mr. McAleny & Lak and your stepfather, it will make for a very interesting display at car shows.

I see it is/was for sale?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Smith View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1942-Ford-bu...tZwuIF&vxp=mtr

Interesting comment from the seller: "It is all original with what is probably a French flathead. I can send some detailed pictures after a few days."
Where does the idea re. the French flathead come from? If it has the upright distributor, it could also be a post-war US V8.

HTH,
Hanno

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l16001.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	94748 Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l16002.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	94749 Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l16003.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	94750
Old 23-11-17, 21:56
MLU Administrator

More info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Phillips View Post
I believe this is the truck originally recovered and restored by Robert McAleney of northern BC in 1990. Check pg 45 and the back cover of Wheels & Tracks number 34. I believe Robert told me the box was off either an 8cwt or an earlier model (11 or 12 cab) truck. Some of you avid historians may be able to identify it.
Gregg, are you following this?

HTH,
Hanno