MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 03-01-18, 22:48

Hi Ian. Yes I did get that the WOC1 is 6 volts and I did mention a pto OR remote generator. Strange that it says "Not suitable for a wireless" as the wireless would be supplied by it's own batteries, Even that the body tilt is de-mountable which could leave a wireless ground station well away from the vehicle.
Although I can't think that I've ever seen a period picture of a de-mounted tilt. (Anyone?)

But the WOC1 is the one I'm least familiar with.

Both the Morris PU8 and PU8/4 have pto provision for a large generator.

Regards Ron
Old 03-01-18, 23:29

Quote:
Strange that it says "Not suitable for a wireless" as the wireless would be supplied by it's own batteries
Maybe because the GS trucks weren't fitted with the bonding straps that the wireless trucks used??? Or was this never fitted to British trucks? My C8 Wireless has braided bonding straps all along the right side of the truck and under the nose panels.

I can't remember which movie it was...either IWM, Australian War Memorial or the New Zealand archive...anyway, the movie shows the tilt being removed and set up a few metres back.

Alex
Old 04-01-18, 00:08

Default 'This Vehicle is not suitable for use with a wireless set'

The Ford WOC1 in its intended configuration is designated as Personnel/GS, NOT FFW. Unlike its Morris and Humber counterparts it was not as already mentioned fitted with a PTO or screened or earthed. If supplied with batteries to power a set and a means of charging I do not dispute it could obviously be fitted with a radio as per the photo which I suspect to be a No.11 set given the date depicted, but you will see the operators seat is mounted onto the floor with no provision of a foot well.

The WOC1 was short lived, all vehicles being delivered by June 1940 and quickly reverting to home service after Dunkirk. Unfortunately I suspect none would ever be fitted with the No.19 set.

Regardless of service all three British and the Canadian counterpart 8cwts. were fitted with the same design of 'well type' body with removable tilt frame, this being one of the standard stipulations within the contract specification and never repeated on subsequent models.

Last edited by Ian McCallum; 04-01-18 at 00:18. Reason: additional info
Old 04-01-18, 05:40
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default Tilt

I see Ian's WOC has the speaking tube sewn in the tilt. I thought the speaking tube was for the FFW versions only but maybe not.

Here is a pic of the tilt off the vehicle . The canvas apron is interesting .
Attached Thumbnails
tilt.jpg  
1940 Chev. 15cwt GS Van ( Aust.)
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 04-01-18, 07:38

Thanks Alex,Ian,Mike for the extra information and especially the picture Mike. Any chance you could send me a copy as high res as poss?
Yes the side curtains look to be a bit of a Heath Robinson palaver, and were stowed rolled up inside the top corners of the hood bows. The picture also proves the clear plastic windows like I have, I often wondered if they should have been steel mesh windows like my original Tilly tilt has. Ron
Old 04-01-18, 14:41

Ron,

This is the video that shows the tilt as a stand-alone cover.....sadly without the side extensions. Also lovely footage of the Humber Snipe 8cwt's in action.

https://youtu.be/PiGLyUDwtoQ

Ron, Ian, Can I ask where you guys got your tilts from? Jim Clark? Worthing?
I will need a canvas for my C8 in due time and even though the Canadian tilts are somewhat different from the British ones (Speaking tube in different location , rear canvas profile slightly different), I think the basic size and layout is the same(?).

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Tilt.jpg  
Old 05-01-18, 03:49

Fabulous video, thank you for the link.

Jim
Old 05-01-18, 07:27

Yes thanks indeed for the link Alex. All of a sudden I now have a picture and video of something I've never seen

With regard to a tilt maker? My own tilt was on my PU when I acquired it nearly 30 years ago so I can't help there. The obvious choice of course would be John and Mary Worthing as they actually owned a WOC1 for years and made their own tilt. (and quite probably made mine?) It might well be the vehicle that Ian now owns (I can't remember).

However some years ago they categorically gave up making canvas parts for everything other than US vehicles (mainly Jeep of course and using US canvas)
Jim Clark also concentrates on US vehicles but did manage to find some suitable second hand canvas to replace the AA Bren gun flap in the top of my original Tilly tilt. But again that was years ago before he bacame so busy.

My first call would be to see if Worthing's would make an exception as they probably still have drawings for British vehicles. Otherwise I guess it's a case of find some suitable canvas and get it made up on the hood bows by a local tarp firm, or someone with a heavy duty sewing machine. Ron
Ron
Old 05-01-18, 11:09

Default Canvas on PU

Fantastic footage, never seen this before and know a Humber owner who will love seeing it.

Alex, like Ron my canvas was already on the WOC1 when I bought it and it is the very one restored in the '80's by John Worthing. He even managed to find at that time some of the original brown canvas and it is still in excellent condition. When David Skinner restored his Humber PU he asked John if he would make an exception and the answer was a definite no! One thing you also have to remember is that although you can refer to an existing vehicle as an example all rear tubs may vary slightly. Yes, they were all made to a standard specification but were made by a variety of different manufacturers. Add to that the majority of bodies around are replicated to the correct pattern with possible variances in hoop heights and you will never as such have two exactly the same. Certainly you can use existing canvases as a guide to 'this is what it should look like', but would be dangerous to use as exact dimensions to manufacture to. Also remember the cab tilts were unique to the individual vehicle manufacturer. David found a very good chap, local to us in Norfolk, who also made a new tilt for his Humber 4x4 PU FFW and since then for other PU owners. In every case however he has required the vehicle in order to ensure a 'custom fit'. First photo shows us both in Dunkirk in 2015, second just after the Humber's Restoration in 2013, taken because the cat found it a great place to bask in the sun!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3971.JPG   NNR (11).jpg  
Old 07-01-18, 02:17

Great pictures please keep them coming.

So I screwed up on my dimensions of the overall width of the box, I knew the truck frame was 44" wide, after I flipped the box over and of course only after I welded the L support brackets to the box sides I discovered that I was 2 3/8" overall short of the 44".

I made up inner fenders for the box sides 1 3/16" deep to get back to the 44" overall width to match the frame, but now I would have no access to the nuts that would be required. I tack welded nuts to the inner fenders so I could still run the bolts thru the wood or steel panels.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3890.JPG   IMG_3885.JPG   IMG_3888.JPG   IMG_3886.JPG  

Last edited by James Y; 07-01-18 at 02:24.
Old 07-01-18, 02:23

Fitted the new inner fender but now have a decision to make do I attach the flat bar to the new inner fender or do I leave it clean?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3891.JPG   IMG_3889.JPG  
Old 07-01-18, 02:43

I am hoping Ian McCallum can help me out here, I am wondering what the overhang of the box is from the end of the frame to the end of the box, mine is working out to be approx 9" but I think that is too long. Ian if you could confirm that would be great.

Thx Jim
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3892.JPG  
Old 07-01-18, 03:21
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default measure

I am not sure which dimension you need . I had a look at the Morris PU and the frame to the outside end of the box ( the lid ) is 14" . The frame lines up with the inner panel or " fender" as you described.
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 07-01-18, 03:41

Making English 22hp v8 1936 at Dagenham

Some of you may have seen this some may not have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtXJdm08djY

Jim
Old 07-01-18, 11:20

Default Measure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
I am not sure which dimension you need . I had a look at the Morris PU and the frame to the outside end of the box ( the lid ) is 14" . The frame lines up with the inner panel or " fender" as you described.
Bit unsure what measurement it is you are referring too.

For Frame do I take it you mean chassis and do you mean the overhang of the rear of the body from this point?
Attached Thumbnails
woc 002 - Copy.jpg  
Old 07-01-18, 12:17
Fan of Lord Nuffield

Default distance

Ian

I think he is after this dimension ( in red ) ?
Attached Thumbnails
0001.JPG  
1942-45 Jeep salad
Old 07-01-18, 16:00

End of chassis to overhang exactly as your picture Ian
Old 08-01-18, 13:55

Ron, Ian,

Thanks for your replies regarding the canvas. Indeed, it does sound that both Worthing and Jim Clark have stopped making British canvas items, even though Worthing do still advertise Canadian 15cwt canvas on their website. I seem to remember reading on HMVF that the person doing the British canvas for Jim Clark has retired a few years ago (?)

But, you are right....it's probably best to find a local supplier that can make a canvas specific for my 8cwt when the time comes.
Ian, Is that the Humber 8cwt that was also in Normandy 2014 for the Port-en-Bessin tour? I remember seeing your Ford Staff car and the Humber 8cwt on the assembly area just outisde town.

@Mike. Is your website still around somewhere? I remember you had some good period PU pictures, including the one you posted earlier of the tilt as a stand-alone item.

Alex
Old 08-01-18, 14:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex van de Wetering View Post
Ron, Ian,

I seem to remember reading on HMVF that the person doing the British canvas for Jim Clark has retired a few years ago (?)

Alex
Quite right Alex. That was Martin......He just decided to give it all up and get under his wife's feet all day Ron
Old 08-01-18, 15:16

Default Is that the Humber 8cwt that was also in Normandy 2014 for the Port-en-Bessin tour?

Hi Alex,

Yes one and the same PU. Photo of it on the Bayeux Parade.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3194 - Copy.JPG  
Old 10-01-18, 16:39

For the tailgate latches I had a couple of the Antiluce plates water jet cut out of 1/2" material, then ground the hard edges off.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3906.JPG   IMG_3907.JPG   IMG_3909.JPG  
Old 10-01-18, 16:42

Getting close to the finish!! I added the strapping to the side panels, attached the tailgate latches and mocked up the placement of the windows for the top.

Still need to figure out the rear fenders, if anyone can help out with the diameter of the fender i would appreciate the info.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3910.JPG   IMG_3911.JPG   IMG_3912.JPG   IMG_3913.JPG  
Old 10-01-18, 17:28

Lovely work James! All nice and straight and cleanely done.

Alex
Old 10-01-18, 23:28

Default Measurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Y View Post
End of chassis to overhang exactly as your picture Ian
Hi James,

The measurement from the end of the chassis rail to the outer edge of the tailgate is 5 inches. Also have detail of the chassis/body end support which is not quite like the one shown in diagram. Have more detail and photos which I will PM you plus can obviously get some detail on the rear wings ( fenders).
Old 21-01-18, 12:41

Quote:
Yes thanks indeed for the link Alex. All of a sudden I now have a picture and video of something I've never seen
Ron, when it rains, it pours!
These pictures are currently for sale on Ebay. The guy has several more pictures of the Morris PU, but as he is selling them I only posted those of interest to the tilt discussion. He also has other interesting pics of Morris trucks and a bike or two.

Here are the links to the auctions:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-W-35mm-...4AAOSwQN5aX09w

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-W-35mm-...YAAOSw~kJaX014

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-W-35mm-...sAAOSwaC9aXNKv

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-W-35mm-...QAAOSwnlFaX0-I

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
WW2 British Army Soldier with Truck-Lorry Palestine.jpg   WW2 British Army Soldier with Truck-Lorry Palestine-1.jpg   WW2 British Army Soldier with Truck-Lorry Palestine-0.jpg   WW2 British Army Soldier with Truck-Lorry Palestine-4.jpg  
Old 21-01-18, 12:43

Quote:
Yes one and the same PU. Photo of it on the Bayeux Parade
Ian. Great memories....both the Port-en-Bessin and the Bayeux parades were a sight to see!

Alex
Old 22-01-18, 12:44

Thanks again Alex. Like waiting for a bus. You wait an hour and three come along together. Cheers Ron
Old 22-01-18, 15:13

I was reading a old magazine and in the article there was a reference to the original color of the tilt, the truck was manufactured at the start of the war, in the article they said that the color of the tilt could/wouild not have been khaki but more sand in color. Is this accurate? And what would be the proper color. I found this CMP picture a while ago, is this color accurate?

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2630.JPG  
Old 22-01-18, 18:12
MLU Administrator

Hello James,

That picture comes from here: http://www.mapleleafup.net/vehicles/softskin/15cwt.html. Reportedly, it is an original canvas cover but I cannot confirm the original colour. It could well be faded khaki/green, as I think it is too dark for sand. Canvas came in sand, khaki and brown, depending on the colour of the truck - see http://www.mapleleafup.nl/cmpvehicles/paint.html.

Pre- or early war vehicles seem to have (also) been fitted with sand coloured canvas, as demonstrated by the extremely comprehensively restored Morris-Commercial CS8 15-cwt truck from 1936/1936: http://www.milweb.net/webvert/a2712/91520. You could ask the owner, Rory Ballard, for more info.

In general, when war broke out, lots of effort was put in proper camouflage. So pre-war gloss painted vehicles with sand canvas were quickly painted in appropriate camouflage to blend in with the surroundings where the vehicles were used - see http://www.mafva.net/other%20pages/starmer%20camo.htm.

HTH,
Hanno

Click image for larger version

Name:	05332DC4-EB0E-4CB7-BD42-610F9D53CE59.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	97344
Old 11-01-19, 05:39

Starting up this thread again. Making progress, also changing build direction. I have decided I will stray from the original WOC1 direction by keeping the full metal cab. Insperation is coming from the Dodge T212 that used a full cab but still the 8 cwt body.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3517.JPG   IMG_3530.JPG  
Attached Images