MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Restoration Forum

Notices

Old 30-11-09, 03:28
Addicted to Drab

Default Ford Boys Resto in Windsor

Hi MLUers

It is time to start another Restoration Thread (RT). The first set of photos document the "recovery". Nothing spectacular and in fact I would like any recovery to take place as was smooth as silk as this one. Geoff Bottoms, his son and myself squoze it on the trailer. We will call this Day 1

cheers

Mike Timoshyk
Attached Thumbnails
parks truck.jpg   parks truck a.jpg   parks truck c 1.jpg   parks truck e.jpg   parks truck f.jpg  

Last edited by Mike Timoshyk; 30-11-09 at 03:43.
Old 30-11-09, 03:33
Addicted to Drab

Default Ford Boys Resto Day 2

Day 2:

Armed with a "Red Wrench" the stripping of the truck began. First off...the water tank. While I was cutting away Geoff was busy dismantling the fenders, front cowel and removed the doors. Notice the fan configuration...obviously a civilian set-up with the fan mounted lower down on the front of the engine. As well as the single sheave generator...
Attached Thumbnails
day 2a.jpg   day 2 f.jpg   day 2 g.jpg   day 2 h.jpg   day 2b.jpg  

Last edited by Mike Timoshyk; 30-11-09 at 03:46.
Old 30-11-09, 03:37
Addicted to Drab

Default Ford Boys Resto Day 3

Day 3:

Load up water tank and prepare to move to scrap yard. Somewhere or sometime on day 2 or day 3 the roof was removed. We have been moving so quickly on the stripping that I have lost count...when Geoff returned from the junk yard he said the tank weighed a little more than 1500 lbs....oh my aching back

cheers

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
day 2 c.jpg   day 2 h.jpg  

Last edited by Mike Timoshyk; 30-11-09 at 03:50.
Old 30-11-09, 04:30
Addicted to Drab

Default Ford Boys Resto day 4-5-6

Here are a few more pics of the progress....just doing the dirty work. The frame is in excellent shape and needs no attention. Note in the pictures the I-beams welded to the frame to carry the water tank. These were welded on both sides of the beams the length of the frame...ouch. No problem, because of the planned reconfiguration of the truck the frame rails will suit our needs and will not have to be torched off. The engine is stuck but we believe it is because of not being used since 1974. When we get the engine open a good look inside will tell the story.
Old 30-11-09, 04:37
Addicted to Drab

Default Ford Boys Resto day 4-5-6

oops pics here...
Attached Thumbnails
day 3-4.jpg   Day 3-4  b.jpg   day 4.jpg   day 5.jpg   day 5 a.jpg  

Old 20-12-09, 22:50

Default Looking great

G'day Mike,

Ganmain Tony from Australia.
Looks like the poor old girl went to the right home. Great job you lads are doing

I'm at great risk of ruining my keyboard as I type because I can't stop drooling, looking at your workshop.

Keep the pictures coming!!!
Old 22-12-09, 02:32
James Dalueg

Ditto on the Workshop!!
Please keep up with the updates and photos. Great job guys.

Jim
Old 27-12-09, 00:52
Addicted to Drab

Default month 2....

Well, with Christmas shopping out of the way and all the domestic stuff put on hold the progress continues. The truck is in the valley....it was all down hill getting it stripped down. Now that it is done we slowly start climbing the hill to completion. Rebuilding, refinishing and refabricating. Here are a few more pics of what has been done....

cheers from the home of the Ford CMP/Blitz

Mike Timoshyk

www.militarymuster.org
Attached Thumbnails
power wash.jpg   awaiting clean up.jpg   awaiting clean up a.jpg   clean up.jpg   clean up a.jpg  

Old 27-12-09, 00:55
Addicted to Drab

Default More restore pics

here are a few more pics of progress....
Attached Thumbnails
transmission mount bracket.jpg   transmission.jpg   engine block and mount bracket.jpg   engine block.jpg  
Old 27-12-09, 06:58
No1, Mk 2** (I'm back!)

That don't look like no seized engine I ever saw before.
Old 28-12-09, 00:54
Addicted to Drab

Default CMP Spirtuality

yes Tony one must become "one" with the project at hand...in order to satisfy to CMP gods a small part or two must be sacrificed and sent to oblivion via the "RED WRENCH". This we have done mercilessly. A small incantation and sacrifice ensures a successful completion.

cheers

Mike aka Frik or is it Frak (?) of the Ford Boys...
Old 25-01-10, 02:56
Addicted to Drab

Default The resto continues

Well it is time for a wee update on what is happening in Ford Country, or more correctly "Ford City" as the area was known as during the war production and post war production period of Windsor Ontario.

Geoff aka Frick, has been very busy with putting in any spare time he has away from VWs and Volvos and applied his craftsmanship to the newest project. Me...aka Frack, well I have been what we say in the Navy...sculling about with other duties. I have been almost completely engaged in the militarymuster, soliciting support, shaking politicians hands and generally spreading the word. Lots of meetings and soon the speaking engagements at local clubs and associations begins. All in all the word is getting out there, but enough of that....back to Frick and his work. Geoff has spent so much time leaning over photos with a set of verniers that his back aches...let alone all the bashing, bending and burning...here are some shots of what the "project" looks like today.....

cheers from Ford City....

Frack
Attached Thumbnails
jan 23.jpg   jan 23 (a).jpg   jan 23 (b).jpg   jan 23 (c).jpg   jan 23 (d).jpg  

Old 18-02-10, 17:14
Addicted to Drab

Default resto Update...Windsor Ontario

Just a quick note to let you see what has been happening with the "Classified" project. Axles, hub assy, bBrake shoes relined locally, brake lines fitted and brake system charged and tested. Lotsa paint work going on....starting to run wires and working on the Classifed section. Here are a couple of pics of the progress.

Cheers from the Home of the Ford CMP

Mike Timoshyk

www.militarymuster.org
Attached Thumbnails
feb 12 j.jpg   feb 12 f.jpg   feb 12 d.jpg   Feb 16.jpg   feb 16 a.jpg  

Old 18-02-10, 17:39
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default Pusser Green..

Mike that is a fine job you are doing in the sunshine belt of the province..Reminds me of the colour of the old Battle ship lino on the barrack block floor..if it was clean and waxed ..
(There was no other way in the RCAir Force Barracks..don't know about the RCN barracks..)
Anyway we have an RN guest in Ottawa and planning a gather up at Gracies for the 18-19th of March..Can you make it,,.??
Old 18-02-10, 19:28

Default Careful Alex....

...if we get to close to March 18/19 you will be in conflict with Acton on the 20th with some of us travelling at 2 am on the 20th.....

ZZZZZZZZ

Bob
Canada
Old 18-02-10, 19:36
"Mr. Manual", sadly no longer with us

Default 18th..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Carriere View Post
...if we get to close to March 18/19 you will be in conflict with Acton on the 20th with some of us travelling at 2 am on the 20th.....

ZZZZZZZZ

Bob
Hi Bob..
That is why the 18th..Trying to fit everything in when you are only given a 10 day window is depressing..maybe if we start on the 12th and keep 'er lit til the 24th,that would be time for everyone to make it..except my liver...
t'would be a foin Irish party ,though..
Old 18-02-10, 21:52

Hi Mike

Looks great and I like the draby green colour. Did you get my PM at all??? You going to be around on Saturday as I can drop off that flathead to you.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 19-02-10, 03:15
GM Fox I

Default Jordan !!??!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Baker View Post
Hi Mike

Looks great and I like the draby green colour. Did you get my PM at all??? You going to be around on Saturday as I can drop off that flathead to you.
Jordan, bite your tongue. It's the drabby brown colour. And a fine looking drabby brown at that.
Old 19-02-10, 06:54
Addicted to Drab

Default Looks good...draby brown

Hi bruce....

Looks good under flouresent light...can't wait to roll it outside to see how it looks...

cheers

mike
Old 01-04-10, 03:08
Addicted to Drab

Default update on current project

Well it has been a few weeks since last posted....so here is an update...

got all the brakes reshoed by a company here in Windsor....ordered the usual engine stuff for a quality rebuild...valves and reground and lapped in ....and all that other engine stuff...actually there has not been much progress because of other commitments, but as the clock is ticking and we hope to unveil the baby at the military muster and a concerted effort will be needed...here are a few pics of what she looks like today....

cheers

from Frick and Frack in Windsor

Mike and Geoff.
Attached Thumbnails
brown outside.jpg   end mar 3.jpg   end mar 4.jpg   end mar 5.jpg  
Old 01-04-10, 03:10

Looks good, real good.
C15A-Wire3, 1944
Willys MB, 1942
10cwt Canadian trailer
Old 01-04-10, 15:21

Default Mix and Match Valves

Hi Guys

From the pictures of the engine open it appears that your engine like many I have worked on has had a number of valve jobs over the years resulting in different styles of valves being used. With Chevys it generally seems to be the exhaust valves that will be different, think the record number of different types of exhaust valve I seen in a Chev was 4. With your engine it looks like both exhaust and intake. Never seems to bother the engines any but sure tells you that the engines have been apart before.

Even found one chevy with mismatched pistons vibrated a little more but it ran.

Enjoy watching the progress and seeing another CMP get a new lease on life. Wonder how many 2010 trucks will still be around and running in 2070?

Cheers Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Timoshyk View Post
Well it has been a few weeks since last posted....so here is an update...

got all the brakes reshoed by a company here in Windsor....ordered the usual engine stuff for a quality rebuild...valves and reground and lapped in ....and all that other engine stuff...actually there has not been much progress because of other commitments, but as the clock is ticking and we hope to unveil the baby at the military muster and a concerted effort will be needed...here are a few pics of what she looks like today....

cheers

from Frick and Frack in Windsor

Mike and Geoff.
`45 HUP
http://canadianmilitarypattern.com/
New e-mail Philip@canadianmilitarypattern.com
Old 02-04-10, 05:07
Terry

Mike

looks great ,you guys move with amaizing speed down east, must be beacause your 3 hrs ahead of BC LOL !

any new news on the real " khaki " paint ??

1942ish F15441-M
Old 13-05-10, 23:53
Addicted to Drab

Default May Update - Ford boys in Windsor

It has been quite a while since I updated the goings on with the latest resto that Geoff and I (for a small part) have been doing. Here are the latest fotos...The engine has been run up and sounds great....idles along nicely and is nice and "tight". Geoff has been doing most of the work of late as I have been running from place to place working on the Military Muster. Whew....sure takes a lota energy...that and doing time my shop working on an MLUers plant.

cheers from Windsor

Mike aka Frak of the Frik n Frak show
Attached Thumbnails
april 1.jpg   april 7.jpg   april 2.jpg   april 3.jpg   april 4.jpg  

Old 13-05-10, 23:56
Addicted to Drab

Default Mar Update continued fotos

a few more shots....now that she runs all we have to do is figure out why it is sooo hard to get into gear....mmmmmmm clutch plate backwards....mmmmm gonna have to pull the engine and check.

3 steps forward and 1 step back.

frak
Attached Thumbnails
april 5.jpg   april 6.jpg  
Old 14-05-10, 00:53

Default Mike

Quick note from Max - He's pretty sure you cant put the Clutch plate in backwards because it wont go on the Flywheel because the spline gearbox side of the clutch plate is longer than the flywheel side. Therefore the plate wouldnt touch the flywheel if put in back to front.

Do you have trouble working the gear stick? Or the clutch? We're also thinking the spigot bearing may be snagging on the input shaft keeping the shaft rotating and also causing the gears to crunch.

Hope this is help not hinderance....
Old 14-05-10, 02:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Timoshyk View Post
a few more shots....now that she runs all we have to do is figure out why it is sooo hard to get into gear....mmmmmmm clutch plate backwards....mmmmm
frak
Hi Mike,
Nice jobs on the truck when you said that it hard to get into gear ... does it stop the engine and before when you got the truck was it working fine
Old 17-05-10, 03:04
C8AX

Default sticky gears

Had to rectify the same gear sticking problem with mine as well. Was having a hard time getting gears and when I did had very little pull.

As Tony said above, my problem was with the release bearing hitting a very small ‘burr’ on the drive shaft. Once this was knocked off I was left with a new problem that I couldn’t get 4th gear. I fixed that, once I turned the gear stick round 180 degrees facing the right way!

Lucky I took before and after pictures of everything. You can see what I mean about the gear lever in the two pictures

Mick
Attached Thumbnails
9.11.09..jpg   06.04.10b.jpg