MLU FORUM  

Go Back   MLU FORUM > MILITARY VEHICLES > The Softskin Forum

Notices

Old 29-07-15, 21:33

Default Identify the Ford truck chassis model

Identify, please, the Ford truck chassis model from the page from Summary Report of Acceptances Tank-Automotive Materiel 1940-1945. It is emphasized by the red.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford.jpg  
Old 30-07-15, 02:14

Smile

It would be 1942 Ford 30cwt cab chassis the one commonly known here as Ford "Jailbar"

The photo below from the AWM is of an Australian 3 ton stake side truck but the 30cwt was the same except for lighter rear springs and probably 16in wheels.

Hope this helps
Attached Images

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"
Old 30-07-15, 08:33

Ford 218TF (CKD) as Cargo and Stake trucks are mentioned in other sections.
For an example, truck from contract W-398-QM-12941 (later W-374-ORD-2784) is Ford 29W, COE chassis for Coose repair shop.
Old 30-07-15, 08:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff View Post
It would be 1942 Ford 30cwt cab chassis the one commonly known here as Ford "Jailbar"

The photo below from the AWM is of an Australian 3 ton stake side truck but the 30cwt was the same except for lighter rear springs and probably 16in wheels.

Hope this helps
Who owner of these trucks - Australian Army or american contingent in Australia?
Old 30-07-15, 10:57

The pictured truck is RHD and probably assembled as a CKD kit using locally made parts as well. Not 100% sure if Ford Australia made their own cabs or used fully made cabs from Canadian production. I do know that GM Holden made their own cabs here in Australia.

Most of these, and earlier model Fords were purchased outright by the Australian Govt. but this does not mean that we did not get any fully built up lend lease ones either. I know we had a lot of Lend Lease Chevy 30cwt and 3 ton models plus GMC production like GMC-CCKW. ALL Studebaker US6 vehicles were purchased outright by the Australian Govt.

Also as I have no idea where or who the photocopied page came from or whose contract numbers are written therein I have to guess at where they may have gone. For instance is it a records book from United States production or from Canadian production. I am guessing Canadian as it mentions Fargo trucks which were mainly built for export at the Canadian Chrysler plant. Also are they Lend Lease items or orders from Commonwealth countries? As I said before if they are Australian Orders, most of these were paid outright by the Australian Govt.

"and on the 8th day he made trucks so that man, made on the 7th day, had shelter when woman threw him out for the night"
MrRoo says "TRUCKS ROOLE"

Last edited by cliff; 30-07-15 at 11:04. Reason: added more info
Old 30-07-15, 13:49

Scan of this page from report of US Army. Fargo was division of Chrysler for export and goverment supply. Name of Fargo in this report designates all trucks which Dodge built for US Army (including for defence aid).
Old 30-07-15, 14:05

About right hand drive american Ford trucks: cover of Ford 218TF Technical Manual. These trucks had not US Army registration numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford 218TF.jpg  
Old 10-08-15, 13:35

Default 218tf.

Some 218TF trucks came to Australia ( I have one ) .They have ammerican doors with a steel inner pannel and a small access jhole for the door lock and window winder. The australian doors have a full sized trim panel and vent (quater) windows.I think the owners manual states BUILT BY THE FORD MOTOR COMPANY OF AMERICA FOR THE AUSTRALIAN ARMY. I have loaned my copy, must get it back!

Ford GPW- script
#3A Ford Trailer
M3A1 White Scout Car
-Under restoration-
1941 Ford Truck (Tex Morton)
F15A Blitz
Radio sets- #19, #122, #62, ART13, and Command